Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
102 Posts
A very good transmission fluid. Is it any better than say Valvoline Dexron VI (a full synthetic AT fluid), I do not know. Of course I drain about 4 quarts of ATF from the transmission once a year and replenish it with fresh ATF, and I have not had any transmission related problems.

I also replace the AT filter every 3 years or 36000 miles as well. Hence my fluid stays clean and the additive package replenished.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why do you change your fluid every year are you towing and hauling alot ? If not should change fluid and filter every 36,000

·
Registered
102 Posts
The main reason I drain and fill about 4 quarts of ATF every year is to replenish the additive package. Since only about 1/3 of the total fluid volume (about 11 quarts) gets drained t any one time, I figure that by doing what I do will keep the fluid robust and the additive package where it needs to be. Also, most of my driving is stop and go.

I refuse to do a fluid exchange because I have heard too many horror stories from experienced mechanics that dealers often refer troublesome cases to.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I was wondering the same thing because I want to switch to the Amsoil signature series wasn't sure if I should just do a full drain and flush. My trailblazer is a 2003 with 119,000 miles on it. Last changed my fluid about 30,000 miles ago im due for another change.

·
Registered
102 Posts
In my view, if your (or my) TrailBlazer was brand new, then running Amsoil ATF and extending the fluid drain/fills to maybe 45000 - 50000 miles might be worthwhile. Since it has 119,000 on it, it might just might make more financial sense to use a Brand name Dexron VI fluid like Valvoline or Mobil. I've gotten Valvoline Dexron VI on sale for about $4.00/qt, and I've seen Mobil Dexron VI on the Summit Racing website selling 6 quart packs for under $35.00.

I also installed a transmission drain pan with a drain plug in it so it is quite simple to drain the pan and then add fluid to fill the transmission back up without having to drop the pan or make a mess.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I might just have it drained and have my mechanic put back in what he put in last time. I can get amsoil guy that works for him is a dealer but it wouldnt be cheap to do it

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
41 Posts
AMSOil and Royal Purple, was what we used in race cars before synthetics came down in price enough to be mass marketed, pre-Mobil 1 and the like. That being said, you don't see many "racing oils" anymore. Full synthetics and blends have gotten so good there isn't any need for racing oils. 5w-30 synthetic is being used instead of the 20w-50 motor, and 90w gear organics oils.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts