Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does this filter have an opening with pleats on the top part? I was looking for a filter with three sides of filter media. I figure it can't hurt. is there an amsoil filter that fits this specs for an I6? I'm just looking for a stock replacement. Currently running a K&N but keep reading how poorly they filter and I'm not exactly racing the TB... so I'm not so worried about the "superior" flow of a K&N.

·
Registered
2007 gmc
159 Posts
Does this filter have an opening with pleats on the top part? I was looking for a filter with three sides of filter media. I figure it can't hurt. is there an amsoil filter that fits this specs for an I6? I'm just looking for a stock replacement. Currently running a K&N but keep reading how poorly they filter and I'm not exactly racing the TB... so I'm not so worried about the "superior" flow of a K&N.
I installed one of these in a 2005 I6 XUV a few months ago. It was a stock filter replacement. Sorry, no pictures. If I recall correctly, this filter was round with media all the way around. Your profile did not have a vehicle listed for me to check on it for you but you can check out the AMSoil Vehicle Application Guide for yourself.

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,422 Posts
Just installed mine a couple weeks ago and it is the same as stock except for the filter media. Same slip on design, reinforced same exact dimensions. And that is the part # Eaa204.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
423 Posts
AMSoil EaAU Air Filters
AMSoil 3560 specs:

Amsoil Number EaAU3560
K&N Number RU-0950
Product Style - Round Tapered
Base OD - 6"
Flange ID - 3.5"
Flange Length - 1.75"
Flange Type Center Media Height - 6"
Top OD - 5"
AMSoil EaAU Air Filters

ya, thats sounds about right!! great filter in my opinion. cant wait to get a volant intake kit. but have a bunch of other things to address first.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info I'll try it out. If that is the one then - I might get it - any ideas on where to get the best prices on it? I'm skeptical about Amsoil products but willing to give the air filters a try. If it works I'll be selling the K&N...

·
Registered
2007 gmc
159 Posts
Would still verify the exact filter you need with the AMSoil Vehicle Application Guide before you order. There are a few ways to order:

You can order directly off the AMSoil website at retail prices.

You can become a AMSoil Preferred Customer and buy at dealer prices.

You can try to find a local dealer to buy from.

Or you can buy thru the Trailvoy's AMSoil sponsor.

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
3,700 Posts
AMSoil FTW!:D
Not so fast... I'm not as quick to drink the kool-aid as some...

What material are these made out of? They give a trademarked name, but say nothing about what they're actually made of (at least what I saw)

What do the tests show, as far as filtering size, effeciency, and capacity?

They say they're "better", but with no specifics, one must assume that they're in the same boat as K&N, Airraid, and UNI...

"In God we trust... All others bring data"

Mike

·
Registered
423 Posts
Thanks for the info I'll try it out. If that is the one then - I might get it - any ideas on where to get the best prices on it? I'm skeptical about Amsoil products but willing to give the air filters a try. If it works I'll be selling the K&N...

AMSOIL Ea Air Filters represent a major breakthrough in filtration technology. The revolutionary nanofiber technology used in AMSOIL Ea Filters captures more dirt, holds more dirt and allows better air flow than conventional air filters. AMSOIL Ea Filters improve engine performance and help engines last longer.

Absolute Efficiency
AMSOIL Ea Air Filters are the most efficient filters available to the car/light truck market. Ea Air Filters’ synthetic nanofiber media removes 5 times more dust than traditional cellulose filter media alone and 50 times more dust than wet gauze filter media. AMSOIL Ea Air Filters have a service life of 100,000 miles or four years, whichever comes first.

Better Air Flow
AMSOIL Ea Air Filters allow more airflow than filters that use cellulose media alone. Cellulose fibers are larger than nanofibers, and have larger spaces between the fibers, causing contaminants to load in the depth of the media and plug the airflow path, which results in higher restriction and less capacity. The synthetic nanofibers in EaA Filter media have submicron diameters and small interfiber spaces, which result in more contaminants being captured on the surface of the media and lower restriction.

Filter material comparissonMore Capacity
AMSOIL Ea Air Filters hold up to two and a half times more contaminants than cellulose air filters. Since the nanofibers in the media are so small there are more pores per square inch, allowing for higher dirt-holding capacity and lower pressure drop when compared to cellulose filter media alone. Thinner media fibers produce more uniform pore size distribution, improving the filter’s overall quality and ability to capture and retain particles. Testing shows that Ea Air Filters hold 15 times more contaminants than a wet gauze type filter.

Cleanable - Longer Life
When cleaned according to AMSOIL specifications and used in normal service, AMSOIL Ea Air Filters are guaranteed for 100,000 miles or four years, whichever comes first. EaA Filters remain effective for 25,000 miles or one year before requiring cleaning. This coincides with the AMSOIL 25,000-mile/one-year motor oil drain interval, adding even more convenience for motorists by consolidating routine maintenance. (See below for cleaning instructions.)
Click to see larger version of Filter Capacity graph
AMSOIL Ea Air Filters hold 15 times more dust than a wet gauze type filter. AMSOIL Ea Air Filter media removes 5 times more dust than traditional cellulose filters and 50 times more dust than wet gauze.

Applications
AMSOIL Ea Air Filters provide superior air filtration for vehicles in the auto/light truck market.

Cleaning
EaA filters should be cleaned every year or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first. Carefully remove the filter from the housing. Clean the housing with a shop towel, being careful not to knock contaminants into the air inlet. Filters can be cleaned by carefully vacuuming the filter media on the dirty side, or by holding the filter with one hand and carefully blowing the filter media at a 45 degree angle on the clean side using low-pressure shop air (15-20 lbs. psi).

Service Life
AMSOIL Ea Air Filters are guaranteed for four years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. The guarantee applies only if the filter has been serviced according to AMSOIL recommendations. In off-road, frequently dusty or other severe duty applications, clean and change more often as determined by operating conditions or as indicated by restriction gauge.

AMSOIL Warranty
AMSOIL warrants that its filtration products are fit for use according to AMSOIL’s recommendations and warrants its products to be free of defective materials, design and workmanship.

i think there is an amsoil vendor on the site. you could probably order through him.

if not you can order one through me. or go and place ur order through their on line store.

here are some great links

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/eaa.aspx

http://www.amsoil.com/video/company/EaFilters/index.aspx

http://www.amsoil.com/products/ea_filters/EaAU_Photos_and_Specs.pdf

http://www.smartsynthetics.com/amsoil-filters/amsoil-ea-air-filters.htm

·
3,700 Posts
AMSOIL Ea Air Filter media removes 5 times more dust than traditional cellulose filters and 50 times more dust than wet gauze.
Oh, OK... so it only lets twice the dust through, compared to an AC Delco filter... (K&N lets 100x more dirt through than an AC Delco)... That would mean that instead of the 99.97% of dust that the AC Delco catches, the AMSoil catches 99.94%, compared to the 96% that the K&N catches...

If this is true (have yet to see independant tests, like AMSoil shows for their oils), it would be the best aftermarket air filter I know of...

Mike

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
41 Posts
That conical type of filter should have been the default for the air box we have on the TB. It never made sense to me that the gaps in the air box are so tight and the filter has a solid endcap set into the air flow.

If that filter fits the standard box, who really needs a CAI?

·
Registered
423 Posts
a cai will have a different tube diameter, made up of different materials, a lot of variables can be changed.

the main things are the affected air flow, and the sound.

our stock intake tubes create a lot of turbulence. turbulence is bad. thats why cai intakes have smooth pipes, and less restrictive bends.

and bla bla bla lol people could go on for weeks hahahaha. its all in personal taste. most people are happy just changing their air filter. but some want something that looks different, and sounds a bit louder ect.

·
3,700 Posts
our stock intake tubes create a lot of turbulence. turbulence is bad. thats why cai intakes have smooth pipes, and less restrictive bends.
I just need to pick on this... turbulence is bad ONLY if you are going for max HP at WOT/redline... Turbulence is good for fuel mileage and low end/part throttle torque.

Mike

·
Registered
2007 gmc
159 Posts

·
3,700 Posts
The good graph is in the 2202 PDF file, at the top of page 2... The 2 you posted are bar graphs, which are very typically "zoomed" to make the difference look bigger than it really is...

So it looks like this is a paper filter with the nano-webbing over top of it... I was concerned originally that it was their oiled foam filter, which is better than an oiled gauze, but not as good as a paper at filtering small particles (in fact, your last link, under the pictures, is of the old oiled foam filter)...

It should be noted that I saw the GM filter on the cost sheet, but it's pretty obvious from the tests that they used a FRAM paper filter to do the tests, instead of the AC Delco... The AC filters much finer, and has a much higher capacity than any other paper filter (other than maybe the Pure 1 filter, which is supposed to be close, but is not available for every model)...

I am about due for one, so I may pick one up next time... I just need to know if they fit on the stock intake tube??

Mike

1 - 20 of 31 Posts