Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well let me start off by saying I'm new to the car stereo installation business so to say. Well the prob. I'm having is whenever my car is cold my amps refuse to turn on whenever I turn the Vol. past 7 but when the car warms up I don't have that prob. My ? is it something to do with the cars computer or would it something I did wrong. I have an Alpine IVA-W505 headunit two Alpine Amps MRP-F600, and MRP-M1000 no cap or battery (Yet). I have the remote wire out from the headunit to the 1st amp then bridged out to the second amp. The MRP-M1000 powers two Alpine 12" type R's at 2 ohms, and the MRP-F600 powers two comps in the front and two 2ways in the rear not that any of that matters. Somebody told me it can be due to overheating but like I said it only happens when the car is cold, and I live in FL obvesiouly not that cold lmao. Any thoughts, any ?s about how I have it wired let me know. I know there are tons of TrailVoy members that can talk circles around me when it comes to this, but I did install this by myself so I know a little. :thx

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
its been driving me insane I was going to test it yest. with a meter when it was doing it but it was raining to much. the only thing I can personally think of is theres some stupid feature on the stereo that causes that but that would be weird or the remote lead is bad on the stereo.

Just something to add I went out to my truck like 10mins ago with meter to test it and see if it would happen again, and sure enough from a cold start after I turned up the vol. past 7 it shut down so I immediately checked the remote in and I had 13.21v off the line so I'm lost lol the amps have power indicator lights and they were both off.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
63 Posts
Have you checked you battery and alt to make sure they are good? I have no idea why it would do that when cold but mine did shut off but because I electrical was not strong enough and I had to wait for my batt to charge up a little then it all started working fine.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I've checked that as well I'm getting 13.86v on my power wire

also I just replaced the alt. due to the fact the old one just up and dies no signs oh well. I didnt get anything stronger then what I had its 150a didnt have the money and the battery a little b4 the alt

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,339 Posts
If your remote wire has 13+ volts as well as the amps power wire, either you have a screwed up ground or bad amps (not likely that they'd both be bad) - or a loose connection somewhere that can only handle so much.:undecided

You do have them wired to the main battery?
And where is your ground?
Not sure if it matters, but is your truck bose or non-bose and what adapter did you use to hook up the head unit?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I'll double check the voltage to make sure those numbers are accurate but its feed directly from the battery to a distribution block. The ground wire is attached to the middle luggage hook to a distribution block. Non bose system. and I have the Metra's VT-GMRC-01 GM Class II Data Bus Interface and the remote wire came with my patch cables and its ran directly to the 1st amp and then bridged to the second amp. Also both the amps are brand new as well

Just got some accurate reading

Power wire 14.40v
Remote wire 13.38v
Ground wire 0.00v

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,531 Posts
well it appears that all your voltage measurements are good. You can always try taking a piece of speaker wire and jumping from your B+ of your amp to the remote terminal to make sure that there is nothing wrong with your amp.

It kinda sounds like there is either a loose connection at the head unit or your head unit is having problems.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I pulled the headunit and checked my splice behind the headunit and it was nice and tight so I thinking its the headunit as well. Oh heres something else that I tried I didnt have the prob. until I got the new amp so I disconnected the new amp and the other amp still wouldnt turn on but at the sametime I checked the voltage from the remote wire and I had 13.38v. I'm going to try one last thing next time it happens is to hook up the sub amp only and see if I have the prob. I'm thinking there may be something wrong with the door amp. I'll check in a few. It's a good thing everything is under warranty. :D

Also I've tried that b4 jumpering the B+ to the remote and both amps turned on, my buddy at work told me to try that.
This is really frustrating lol

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Ya I good take out my old one that I threw in my work truck and see if it still does it

Well I figured it out I went out and turned it up, and as soon as I got past Vol. 7 it shut off so I ran to the back once more with my meter and tested the remote wire and I have the same voltage so I tested the power wire and sure enough low to no voltage it was reading at 1.93v so I tested it at the distribution block same thing next thing I did was pop the hood and took a look at the fuse and guess what it was melted not blown but melted. So I'm on my way to advanced auto parts to get a new one and this time my connections will be super tight. I fell like such an idiot :bonk:

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,531 Posts
I would first look into why that fuse melted. Something had to have caused it. Over current, excess heat in the engine bay, etc... Just be careful when putting in the new fuse.

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2,762 Posts
I was just going to say check the fuses!I had the opposite.I'd play it and it would cut out at different times and buy the time I checked the fuses it cooled off and connected again and then when it heat up it would open,was very hard to find that!

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
356 Posts
Ya I good take out my old one that I threw in my work truck and see if it still does it

Well I figured it out I went out and turned it up, and as soon as I got past Vol. 7 it shut off so I ran to the back once more with my meter and tested the remote wire and I have the same voltage so I tested the power wire and sure enough low to no voltage it was reading at 1.93v so I tested it at the distribution block same thing next thing I did was pop the hood and took a look at the fuse and guess what it was melted not blown but melted. So I'm on my way to advanced auto parts to get a new one and this time my connections will be super tight. I fell like such an idiot :bonk:
My friend had the same problem. If you connections aren't tight it will arc and melt the fuse.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ya thats what happened it turned out that one side of the fuse became loose so it was arcing and just melted. So this time I made the connection super tight

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
371 Posts
I've had this problem before due to engine heat and poor fuse holder placement. I now run a circuit breaker. It's nice to be able to open the hood and with the flick of a switch, cut the power to the amp.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts