Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys im having problems with my amp, i just recently bought a used amp form one of my friends its a 1600 poweracoustic mono amp pushing 2 12cvx 2ohms. my problem is that the protection light keeps coming on. It was bassing real good and then at of know where it just shuts off :worried:. So what do you guys think it might be?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
did u bridge the speakers is the gain all the way up ?
No i didnt bridge it one of my RcA cables is not working right so i hooked both speakers to one side terminal.

I checked the fuses they were fine but i have a 8g wire for the power but i was told to upgrade to a 4 or 0 gause because of the sizes of the amp. As for voltage it might be that and as for impedence i dont really know what that means:laugh:

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Impedance is the Ohm of the speaker. Should be 4ohm. unless its dual voice coil. then each voice coil would be 4ohm parallell those and you get 2ohms. Is this a class A B amp or a class D amp? This is important as a class D amp is a mono amp and cannot be bridged as there are only single outputs. In the case there are dual outputs there already paralleled inside. There is no left and right channell so you cant bridge. Bridging is done on Class AB amps using left positive right negative. I would assume that if you have 2 subs and your impedance is 2 ohms on each paralleled to the amp you are at 1 ohm. I'm pretty sure the amp cant handel the load. What you need to do is series the voice coils of each sub and then connect to the amp. If you do this you will have 2 subs with an impedance of 8 ohms connect them together for 4 ohms at the amp. to series the voice coils you will take positive of one coil and connect it to negative of the other coil thus leaving you a positive and negative to connect to the amp.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Impedance is the Ohm of the speaker. Should be 4ohm. unless its dual voice coil. then each voice coil would be 4ohm parallell those and you get 2ohms. Is this a class A B amp or a class D amp? This is important as a class D amp is a mono amp and cannot be bridged as there are only single outputs. In the case there are dual outputs there already paralleled inside. There is no left and right channell so you cant bridge. Bridging is done on Class AB amps using left positive right negative. I would assume that if you have 2 subs and your impedance is 2 ohms on each paralleled to the amp you are at 1 ohm. I'm pretty sure the amp cant handel the load. What you need to do is series the voice coils of each sub and then connect to the amp. If you do this you will have 2 subs with an impedance of 8 ohms connect them together for 4 ohms at the amp. to series the voice coils you will take positive of one coil and connect it to negative of the other coil thus leaving you a positive and negative to connect to the amp.
The amp is 2ohms class d mono amp, I didn't bridge them because the subs have two voice coils and they are connected parallel inside the box but the impednce of the subs are 2ohms each. The thing is I have disconnected everything from the amp for ex. Rca cables, power,ground ect. And then I plug only the power and ground and the amp still goes to protection mode. I don't know what else to do.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
425 Posts
The thing is I have disconnected everything from the amp for ex. Rca cables, power,ground ect. And then I plug only the power and ground and the amp still goes to protection mode.
this could happen because there is no load on the amp thats why it is going into protection mode in that situation.

i would check using an ohm meter to make sure that the subs are wired in at 2 ohms(just touch the leads to the wires that usally connect to the amp and make sure it is to ohms.

also make sure the setting(bass level, sub level) on the headunit are not all the way up at max. if the bass and the sub level at max the headunit may be sending to powerful a signal to the amp and causing it to go into protection mode.

just my :m2:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
this could happen because there is no load on the amp thats why it is going into protection mode in that situation.

i would check using an ohm meter to make sure that the subs are wired in at 2 ohms(just touch the leads to the wires that usally connect to the amp and make sure it is to ohms.

also make sure the setting(bass level, sub level) on the headunit are not all the way up at max. if the bass and the sub level at max the headunit may be sending to powerful a signal to the amp and causing it to go into protection mode.

just my :m2:
Well I check my headunit to see if my bass or treb was up high and it was so I lowerd it and it still goes to protection mode.

Thank u guys for all of yalls quick respons. I appreciate the help and advice.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The amp is 2ohms class d mono amp, I didn't bridge them because the subs have two voice coils and they are connected parallel inside the box but the impednce of the subs are 2ohms each. The thing is I have disconnected everything from the amp for ex. Rca cables, power,ground ect. And then I plug only the power and ground and the amp still goes to protection mode. I don't know what else to do.
Right the subs are 2 ohms each. you connect 2 2 ohm speakers in paralell you get 1 ohm. you said the amp is 2 ohm stable. if all your hooking up is power and ground and turn on. with no speakers or speaker wires hooked up and the amp still goes into protection you damaged the amp due to running below its capacity.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
198 Posts
if they are dual 2 ohm subs then you could have it wired to .5 ohms, you need to either get a new amp with a great electrical to run at .5 ohms or rewire it to 2 ohm load: http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp
:iagree: If they are dual 2 ohm, a .5 (1/2 ohm) load will be present.

If run long enough on that load you might have blown your amp.

Try hooking up just one coil from one speaker and see what it does.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
198 Posts
Right the subs are 2 ohms each. you connect 2 2 ohm speakers in paralell you get 1 ohm. you said the amp is 2 ohm stable. if all your hooking up is power and ground and turn on. with no speakers or speaker wires hooked up and the amp still goes into protection you damaged the amp due to running below its capacity.
Beat me to it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:iagree: If they are dual 2 ohm, a .5 (1/2 ohm) load will be present.

If run long enough on that load you might have blown your amp.

Try hooking up just one coil from one speaker and see what it does.
Well everything u guys have suggested and advice has left me to come to a conclusion that I blow my amp, but then again I was able to get the green light to come on so I don't know what to do, I hooked up one of the speakers while the light was on green but there was not bass coming out of the speaker.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I was messing with my amp and its voltage and it seems my power wire isn't giving my amp sufficent power so Im going to get a new amp kit and see if that changes. I say this because I got my amp to turn green and connected a rca cable and the sub started to bass but when I turned the bass level to 1/4 of its potentialpower and the sub turns off and so does the amp. So am I right about my power wire? Any advise is helpful and thanks to everyone again. This site is very helpful im glad to be part of this forum.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
83 Posts
Well I was messing with my amp and its voltage and it seems my power wire isn't giving my amp sufficent power so Im going to get a new amp kit and see if that changes. I say this because I got my amp to turn green and connected a rca cable and the sub started to bass but when I turned the bass level to 1/4 of its potentialpower and the sub turns off and so does the amp. So am I right about my power wire? Any advise is helpful and thanks to everyone again. This site is very helpful im glad to be part of this forum.
it could be several of things...
1.bad ground cause amp to go to protect mode.(short ground recomended)
2.bad RCA's or pre outs from hu makes amp jump to protect mode.
3.like people said above^^^^ to low on OHMS.
4.maybe wired subs wrong?.

check it out and let us know...how many watts you running?..amp?..didnt see it in the last posts

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.