Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post on this site. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post questions so let me know. I just picked up a trailblazer and have started to install a new system. I have already replaced the head unit, 4 door speakers, mounted an amp and a cap to the single rear seat and installed my two 10's. My question is where is a suitable spot to mount another 4ch amp? I dont want to mount anything on the other side of the back seats. Is the compartment in the floor ok? will the amp over heat without air circulation?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,574 Posts
Do you have onstar? If not look under the rear passenger seat and there is room there. If you do have onstar there will be box there and won't be any room. I have my mono amp in the rear floor compartment. If you are putting in a hot running amp you might need some air flow.

I'm not an audio expert so i'm probably not the best to listen too. The audio experts will probably chime in in the morning to give you better advise.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
does it run hot now? cause putting it in there wont help.

i used to have 2 amps in there and did fine. ive also had a single amp in there and have gone into thermal protection, and my current amp gets hot, but nothing to worry about.

it varries from amp to amp, really the only thing you can do is try it out.

Do you have onstar? If not look under the rear passenger seat and there is room there. If you do have onstar there will be box there and won't be any room. I have my mono amp in the rear floor compartment. If you are putting in a hot running amp you might need some air flow.
ive heard people talk about doing it but i havnt actually seen anyone do it, though i have seen some one put a mini mac in that spot, but not an amp. i could be wrong too.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
425 Posts

I'm not an audio expert so i'm probably not the best to listen too. The audio experts will probably chime in in the morning to give you better advise.
that would be a very small 4 channel amp to fit in that spot.

i have an an amp mounted in that cargo space in the floor and never had a problem. (put a piece of plywood under the carpet and mount it to that)

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
68 Posts
This is my first post on this site. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post questions so let me know. I just picked up a trailblazer and have started to install a new system. I have already replaced the head unit, 4 door speakers, mounted an amp and a cap to the single rear seat and installed my two 10's. My question is where is a suitable spot to mount another 4ch amp? I dont want to mount anything on the other side of the back seats. Is the compartment in the floor ok? will the amp over heat without air circulation?
There is a good chance that it will over heat. I would keep the cover off if you put it there. Or better yet, mod the cover so it is vented, maybe even add a fan blowing outwards.:m2:

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali_xl
111 Posts
have you thought about behind the interior body panels in the rear compartment. I was able to fit 2 4 channels, a Mono, FM modular and video amp all pretty neatly back there in my XL. Plus I added a fan at each end, one blowing and one sucking to keep a steady flow of air. The only problem with doing this is you need to remove the 3rd row seat and body panel when you need to tune it in better. Then once the truck is all put back together the aucustics change due to the seats blocking and panel being back in:m2::m2:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
150 Posts
have you thought about behind the interior body panels in the rear compartment. I was able to fit 2 4 channels, a Mono, FM modular and video amp all pretty neatly back there in my XL. Plus I added a fan at each end, one blowing and one sucking to keep a steady flow of air
pics? :cool:

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali_xl
111 Posts
I should of taken some when i had it all apart. I'll see tomorrow what kind of pics i can get thru the access door for the jack and compressor switch

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali_xl
111 Posts
theres a link i found on here of a guy who put two amps and a custom box in that area to keep it completely stealth. I'll try to see if i can find that one to.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
6 Posts
stock amp location

I beleive my stock (OEM) amp is defective but I do not know where it is mounted?

anyone point me in the right direction

thanks, tom

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
319 Posts
I beleive my stock (OEM) amp is defective but I do not know where it is mounted?

anyone point me in the right direction

thanks, tom
If it's the Bose amp, it's in the rear right panel.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali_xl
111 Posts
on an XL the amp is on the left side, drivers side. Behind the body panel. You'll have to pull out the rear seat. Thats easy to do, only 6 3/4 nuts/bolts. Then you can pull off the body panel, if i remember right you have to remove the plastic off of the pillers as well cause they overlap the main plastic panel by about a half inch or so

·
Registered
2005 buick rainier
1,012 Posts
I just installed a 4 channel amp into the rear floor compartment (Infinity 475a) and it does get very hot. I have the cover off now, but am going to drill holes through it to vent it (from the bottom, into the dimples that are there now) and install this 12" 12V slim fan.

Got the fan yesterday and should have it in soon. Maybe I'll get some pics once it's finished.

EDIT: DOESN'T WORK. There isn't enough clearance - I'm going to make a base for the amp from 1x2's and use four 12V computer fans with high CFM ratings.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts