Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Today it's the hottest its been in Iowa for as long as I can remember--blazing sun, 99 degree's with 115F "real feel".

The wife did some stop and go traffic today over the course of two hours with stops in between for appointments. Usually the TB stays solid on the 210 mark, but today it was creeping to the 3/4 line (a tick or two below), although we never let it run long enough to see if it would go higher and did observe an occasion where the temp started to drop.

I replaced the thermostat a few months ago, and fan clutch last year with water pump. Coolant levels look fine.

Is severe hot weather the cause or should I be investigating further?

Thanks,

gunrock

i

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Well, "feels like" has no effect on truck (only humans); and, IMO, 99F is not that hot (for a vehicle cooling system).

You may need to have the fan "on" and/or "off" settings adjusted.

Also, might be an airflow, through the rad, problem; maybe leaves/grass/etc blocking the rad cooling.

·
Registered
331 Posts
well I replaced the Tstat 1and 1/2 yrs ago and the fan clutch less than a yr ago and today here in cicero, il is the same as Iowa, 99 "feel like" 115.(my temp gauge is always at 195-200)

Yesterday as I was coming from wisconsin(92-95) the temp gauge was steady at 195-200, but as I was getting closer to rockford, IL. the compass in the TB kept going up and up (101) as well as the temp gauge and it went up to little over 210 and than as I passed Rockford the outside temp started lowering a couple a degrees(96) and the gauge started going down as well. I had the a/c ON all the way from wisconsin dells (about 3 hrs. drive)

So it might "affect" vehicles too:confused::confused:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
57 Posts
I've changed the thermostat 1 1/2 years ago and the fan clutch this year. Stop and go driving with temperatures high 90s-100, my temperaure gauge goes pass 210 up to 235, but never higher. Highway driving keeps it to 210 or a little lower.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
221 Posts
id start by flushing the radiator, ive left my trailblazer at idle for hours, two days this summer where temps reached 100 and the temp gauge stayed right in the middle.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
8 Posts
If you think about it, if the a/c is on while this is happening you are trying to cool the coolant with the HOT air off of the condensor also. You can try this, when it is running above normal turn the a/c off and run it for a while then compare.

·
Registered
331 Posts
If you think about it, if the a/c is on while this is happening you are trying to cool the coolant with the HOT air off of the condensor also. You can try this, when it is running above normal turn the a/c off and run it for a while then compare.
I understand what you saying and in a way, I agree, but the funny thing is that while it was still very hot (96+ and humid) temp gauge was at 195(as usual) but once outside temp reached 100 degrees the gauge temp went up to 210. And this is the first time this happens since I own the truck.
But anyway with the next oil change the coolant is due too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You may need to have the fan "on" and/or "off" settings adjusted.
--I had the dealer replace the fan clutch/water pump, although not a Chevy dealer--should they have reprogrammed the truck after installing the fan clutch?

Also, might be an airflow, through the rad, problem; maybe leaves/grass/etc blocking the rad cooling.
--thanks I'll definitely check that.

235, but never higher. Highway driving keeps it to 210 or a little lower.
id start by flushing the radiator, ive left my trailblazer at idle for hours, two days this summer where temps reached 100 and the temp gauge stayed right in the middle.
Yeah like I said, I never let it run long enough to see if it would keep climbing and its funny the temp went up then started coming down again when it got so hot, but then started climbing again and I didn't leave it running to see what would happen.--then again, that could point to a partially plugged radiator I would think...

As far as flushing--when I had the fan clutch/water pump done, I asked them to flush the radiator and they said since they were changing the fluids, that was good enough. I didn't argue because the old fluids still looked good to me...second guessing that decision now. :ugh:

Yeah my wife thought she noticed the temp drop when she turned off the ac...due to less load?

Anyway, at least now I confirmed my suspicions, at least in 99 degree weather, that my TB should not have been getting hot like that (creeping up on 3/4 mark) and I'll check the radiator for debris (hopefully this is the issue) and think about the flush--TB has been fine since. Man here I thought I was going to get a break from all that maintenance for a bit. :)

Thanks again, :thumbsup:

gunrock

1 - 8 of 8 Posts