·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All.

I've had my 04 TB LS for 3 weeks now.
I am on my third tank of gas.
On the first two tanks I got 12.5mpg - now i attribute this to my heavy foot learning the new vehicle and using some 4WD in the bad weather. I now notice i am at a 1/2 tank and only went 110miles. I feel like i am losing gasoline somewhere??? i dont notice any on the ground and i dont really smell it at all.

Can anyone offer some advice?:confused:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
218 Posts
now i attribute this to my heavy foot learning the new vehicle and using some 4WD in the bad weather.
There's your problem right there. Back off the throttle, look ahead and coast, and avoid excessive idling and you may get lucky and see 15-17mpg city and 20+ highway. But to get that, you have to actually drive like you care about how much gas you're using. If you see much more than 2500 rpm on a regular basis, you probably aren't going to be getting even decent fuel economy. Winter blend gas doesn't help. Also, if you have the air vent set on defrost or recirculate, it's running the compressor the entire time, which isn't good for fuel economy. Also, don't know your mileage, but a throttle body cleaning (check the articles section) and a fuel filter change is probably a good idea. A bottle of Chevron Techron would be a good investment as well. Hope some of this helps, and Welcome to the Forum! :tiphat

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,269 Posts
there was a TSB for vehicles that are owned in the rust belt.
Salt ends up on top of the gas tank and rust the metal up where the fuel pump sits,
When you fill up tank it can leak out (more like evaporate )as it spills out,
Many on here commented they could smell gas though... but not see it...

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
there was a TSB for vehicles that are owned in the rust belt.
Salt ends up on top of the gas tank and rust the metal up where the fuel pump sits,
When you fill up tank it can leak out (more like evaporate )as it spills out,
Many on here commented they could smell gas though... but not see it...
What do you mean by Rust Belt? I live in Pittsburgh, PA where it does snow 4-5 months out of the year and we do get a lot of salt on the road.
This could be the problem, if so, what do I do about it?

My vehicle only has 39,000 miles on it, should i still do the filter change?

Thanks again

·
South Chapter
4,615 Posts
Hello All.

I've had my 04 TB LS for 3 weeks now.
I am on my third tank of gas.
On the first two tanks I got 12.5mpg - now i attribute this to my heavy foot learning the new vehicle and using some 4WD in the bad weather. I now notice i am at a 1/2 tank and only went 110miles. I feel like i am losing gasoline somewhere??? i dont notice any on the ground and i dont really smell it at all.

Can anyone offer some advice?:confused:
You're gas is going out the Tail pipe!!!

I had the same learning curve when I was getting familiar with my TB......I brought it home and got about 13mpg.....the truck will learn how you drive it as well, coast to stops, take off a little easier, set your cruise......try to keep it around 2000rpm....this seems to be the sweet spot for most of these vehicles. I'm averaging 19-20mpg, you'll get the mileage up, it may just take a while to relearn how you drive, but it is possible.

I think it was mentioned above......maybe clean the throttlebody & replace the fuel filter......Then there's a tune and CAI, possibly exhaust.....your mileage can only get better!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,269 Posts
What do you mean by Rust Belt? I live in Pittsburgh, PA where it does snow 4-5 months out of the year and we do get a lot of salt on the road.
This could be the problem, if so, what do I do about it?

My vehicle only has 39,000 miles on it, should i still do the filter change?

Thanks again
the area of the country where roads are salted and cars rust to death.

I think someone posted the info on the servicing of this.. let me see if its somewhere around here..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.