Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at picking up an 08 Envoy with the I6. One of the main reasons for getting the vehicle as opposed to staying with a car is because I sold my old 2500 Burban that I used for towing my boat. The boat and trailer weigh 4875 dry (I don't usually tow with gas in the boat), and I'm wondering if the I6 will be up to the task. It's about a 300 mile trip that I plan on making 1x/month during the spring and summer months to use the boat. There is one long grade each way.

I really want to try and stick with the I6 for economy reasons, but if the collective experience of Trailvoy owners is that the engine isn't up to the task at this weight and mileage, I'll likely have to investigate other options. When I wasn't pulling with my 7.4l 2500, I used my 2door Tahoe with a 5.7 which never really had any problem with the boat.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Chris

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
967 Posts
I used to tow my 3500# hybrid travel trailer with a '95 'Burb. Small block V8, 200HP, 310ft. lbs of torque. It did well. It struggled a bit on 6% grade in mountains. I got 10mpg on average while towing.

My TB has more HP and less torque than the 'Burb did. And since its an EXT it's only a few hundred pounds lighter than the old 'Burb. Yet it far outshines that 'Burb in towing ability. I only have 3:42 gears and it runs through those mountain grades without much effort. I get about 12mpg towing the same trailer with the TB.

So depending on how old your 2500 was, and how it was equipped, you might see a big difference. As was already stated, look for a V8 and 4:10 gears.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.