Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I replaced my fan belt and idler pulley the other day, hoping to get rid of a bad belt squeak and a wierd noise. Well, thankfully the squeaky noise is gone (that was Sooo annoying!), but the other noise is still here. I'm pretty sure it's the alternator, maybe one of the bearings? When I would twist it with my hand, it would make noise, and all of the other pulleys were silent. I also started the truck without the belt off, and this particular noise was absent. It's kind of a churning type of noise, like water flowing. I figured it was the water pump for the longest time, but I guess it's the alternator. So, the question is, is there anything I can do to fix this, short of getting a new alternator? I'm always an advocate of fixing something small now instead of something larger later. But, if there's no short-term fix, and it isn't likely to die really soon, I'll probably just leave it.

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
The alternator can be rebuilt,if there is a competent shop near you.

Like you, I thought I had a bad alternator bearing. Pulled the alternator and took it to a shop, nothing wrong with alternator. It was the ac clutch bearing, turning on the ac would stop the noise.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, I'll have to look into that. Any ideas how long it can go on like that before it fails? It's been going on for as long as I can remember, I think it may have been like that when I bought it 30k miles ago. I know it's been like that for at least 15k-20k. And I went out and tried turning the A/C on and off, and the sound was always there. Thanks for the tip though!

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
5 Posts
Had the same problem. Thought it was the alt. turned out to be the a/c bearing. Take the belt off and give the clutch pulley a spin, on mine I could feel the roughness in the bearing. rockauto.com sells the bearing if you have the equipment to recover the freon.

·
Registered
124 Posts
use a tube to your ear and be carefull...my experience it makes noise before it goes,,,happened to my alt and power steering pump

1 - 5 of 5 Posts