Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Wednesday morning I started my '04 Envoy 150k, I went to pull forward to go up over a snowbank left by the plow and the truck didnt make it the first try(icy) When I tried again the trucks lights started flashing and the truck just shut off completely while in drive. I put her in park tried to restart it and it didnt work the first time. I tried again and it started up fine, but with the heater on a horrible smell came in from the engine bay. Like burning rubber. I got out and looked under the hood, couldnt see anything smoking, so I just went about my way. Over the last couple days the truck starts and runs fine but the smell is still there a bit.

Brings us to today, came back from Walmart, once I pulled in our parking spot all the lights flashed and the truck just shut off again. This time it wouldnt turn at all, just a click. So I got a boost from my neighbor. The boost held but when I drove away the volt was just barely keeping the truck running, when I came to a stop it almost would stall. Everytime I turn the truck off it needs a boost to start.

So what do you guys think?? Battery, alternator, connection??

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
678 Posts
If your thinking electrical, then check the battery connections first.
Most shops should have an AVR with which to test your battery life, alternator and starting system, and it will pinpoint the problem if its in any of these areas. Its a quick test, about as hard as opening the hood and boosting your vehicle.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
41 Posts
did ur tires spin then stop like the got back traction from hitting pavement cause i was making a u turn and spun my tires in the grass and hit the pavement while still spinnin and then my car messed up and had a similar problem

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3,250 Posts
This may sound crazy, but it's possible you got water in between the serpentine belt and the drive pulleys....it slipped when you tried to start it, and that's where the burning rubber smell came from.....just a wild idea I thought I'd throw out there.....have you ever changed the serpentine belt?

Also, the battery could be borderline...how old is that? Most of them are good for about 4 yrs max, and then your playing chicken, especially in the cold and snow.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
678 Posts
:iagree:
In part. Remove the belt and make sure you didn't lose a bearing in a pully. Idler and tensioner can be given a quick check by giving them a little shake up and down. 3 trips to GM for me before I thought to just prove the idler was bad.:bonk:

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok just got back from Crappy Tire and they checked the battery for me. Battery's in good condition. Now after I re-installed the battery I started it up and it fired up no problem. Voltage all the way home stayed at a steady 14 so maybe the guy was right with the belt slipping a bit cause we had lots of heavy rain and flooding and I did plough through some big puddles. Who knows. Right now everything seems fine. I'll wait until Monday and take her to my shop to get looked at. I hate Canadian Tire, don't want them touching my truck. Thanks for all your help guys!

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
152 Posts
I had a similar problem 2 years ago. I grabbed the battery cable and gave a litle tug and the entire positive battery terminal including female thread normally embedded in the battery separated from the battery!

It was loose all along as evidenced by a very slow leak of battery acid. Guess where the acid goes? Under the pan and onto the main wiring harness. I showed this to the dealer and he said, "forget it. If GMC gives you a new battery, they will pro-rate it anyway". So I took it to Sears and the guy says, "Yeah, I see a lot of that on Delco batteries:bonk:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
So I took it to Sears and the guy says, "Yeah, I see a lot of that on Delco batteries:bonk:
Yeah a lot of us have seen that happen here too. We have also seen the sides of the battery bulge outwards. I had it happen on mine. The battery was about 3 years old. It started fine, and was holding a charge, but because of the bulging I replaced the battery.
A relative that has had 3 or 4 GM Trucks (all new) has had similar problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts