Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thursday i went to sign on a loan to do som home improvements, went out to the TB to get a document, had my 1 1/2 yr old son with me. He threw a fit because he wanted to play in the truck, sometime during his fit he hit the lock button on the door, windows are all up and sunroof closed. I shut the door, realized the keys were on the seat. Didnt think the doors were locked because i didnt hit the lock button, tried to open it, and yep, me and my boy were locked out. Chevy made it almost impossible to get in. Unlike my 03 F150 I had, you cant get a close hanger around the handle and open the door, u have to hit the unlock button, i tried to use the antenna and it was too short. So i had to get a locksmith to open it up. which wasnt to bad, $40. So now im off to get me a couple of spares.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
That happened to me once, helping my mother out of the truck. I had my son bring the extra remote. After, I went to Home Depot, got a key made without the plastic/rubber cover and keep it in my wallet.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,733 Posts
:iagree::crackup::bonk: And with all the plastic, it's hard to find a metal part to put a hide-a-key! Lucky for me, both me and my wife have a key plus I have one I keep in my desk.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
215 Posts
its happened to me to when my 1 year old decided to play with (and lose) my keys. tried for an hour until my wife found our spare set (he managed to get a hold of those too). kinda refreshing knowing that someone slick can't just slide a hanger in and steal your stuff... although if they want it bad enough, they'll get it and you'll have a window to replace.:hissy:

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,228 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
91 Posts
Hehe, Ok that reminded me of the time my fiance used to keep her spare key for her car at her apartment (I'm guilty of doing this too), and would keep a spare key for her apartment in the car. She couldn't find any metal places on her focus that was "girl accessible" to put the hide-a-key box at. So she kept it in her glove box.

She did this until she went to work one winter morning, locked the apt door behind her, went to the car and started it, only to find out she forgot her cell phone inside.

She instinctively got out of the car and with one fell swoop, hit the lock button on the door and shut it. :dielaugh:

Her ego was only hurt for the half an hour she had to wait for the leasing office to open and called me with my apt key. :crackup:

@firebear: I've seen my uncle unlock a car with one of these

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,422 Posts
Happened to me also-dummy me loaded the passenger side and threw the keys onto the drivers seat and then proceeeded to hit the lock button. Well luckily it was only a 2 mile walk home to get a key from my neighbor to the house to get my extra set.:suicide: From that moment on I have a spare tucked away in my wallet.

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
So now, if you lose your wallet, whoever finds it knows your address and has a key to your truck.
I think I'd take a chance on losing the wallet over leaving a key hidden on the outside of my truck.

Hmmm, middle of the night, bad guy walking through a parking lot, tries the handles looking for an unlocked door.
Parking lot is dark, no-one around, bad guy has time to check the obvious key hiding places.
Hello, a key. I'll play with your truck, put it back and play again tomorrow night.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Some of us have a key receptacle on our drivers door. :undecided
They may get in but, it won't start. Alarms are your friend. And I don't keep anything worth steeling in the truck. Also I agree with Ray. If they have time to steal catalytic converters, they have time to look for a "hidden" key. I had thought about one of the Key Safes that go in the hitch receiver, but I always have my fubar in.

·
Registered
432 Posts
No matter what vehicle you own. Make a spare key and put it somewhere underneath the vehicle so you always have a spare.........just in case.
I heard an interesting way to hide your spare key: wrap it in aluminum foil, glue it to your fender with black RTV where road spray will hit it, and also cover it with the black RTV. It ends up blending in with all the other goop under your fender, and only you know where to cut with a razor blade to extract the spare key.

-- Dan Meyer :coffee

P.S. You do not need a remote when you have a factory alarm to get in and start your truck. As long as you have unlocked it with the key in the drivers door you can use the same key to start and drive the truck.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
From now on anybody who posts info on how to break into the truck will get an infraction..

the LAST thing anybody needs is stolen items or worse a stolen truck because they read how to break into a trailvoy on this forum

:hopeless:hopeless:hopeless

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
P.S. You do not need a remote when you have a factory alarm to get in and start your truck. As long as you have unlocked it with the key in the drivers door you can use the same key to start and drive the truck.
That's the key (no pun intended) word.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
125 Posts
I locked myself out once, too!

:)I locked myself out of my Trailblazer once. Onstar lady had me in in about 5 minutes. You guys need to keep your Onstar account current!!

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
:)I locked myself out of my Trailblazer once. Onstar lady had me in in about 5 minutes. You guys need to keep your Onstar account current!!
I had Onstar for the first 3+ years after I bought my vehicle. I used it once! So considering the first year was free, that one time I used it cost me about 540 bucks! (18.00 dollars a month times 30 months)

I know I'm probably going to get flamed for this and I don't want to start a GM vs. Ford war - but one of the things I like about my Mercury Grand Marquis is having the keypad on the drivers door. As long as you remember the 5 digit code you will never lock your keys in the car!

Seriously I know people (sad to say I'm related to some of them) who don't even know the code or as one said to me a while back "Uh, yeah the code is in the glove box". A lot of good that would do you! :bonk::duh:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts