Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt_xl
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 04' TB EXT for about a month now.

About two weeks after I purchased it, I noticed a slow leak in the driver's front tire. It was leaking about a pound of pressure a day, give or take.

I checked the tire as best I could, and could see no cuts or punctures. I finally brought it to a tire place here in town today.

I was told that the aluminum wheel's lip had corroded and was letting some of the air out. Has this happened to anyone else with this type of wheel? I've had 4 other vehicles with factory GM alloys, and have never had this problem, especially on a set of rims with only 40,000mi and which are only 2 years old! :eek:

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1 Posts
Ditto

Any luck figuring this out?

My mother has a 2005 in PA, and is experiencing the same problem. My father believed that there were bead leaks due to corrosion; however, he passed away unexpectedly, so I am trying to help here from a 1000 miles away.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2006 saab 9_7x
450 Posts
Take it to the tire place and have them wire brush the rim really well. Some shops won't do this. After cleaning, some shops apply a sealer to help with this problem. Not uncommon in an area that uses salt on the roads. Sometimes the rim is just too far gone.

Doug

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1 Posts
Same Issue

Same issue here. Took the vehicle to the tire place this morning to fix a slow leak, they showed me the corrosion and added the sealer and reinstalled the tire. The technician said it was more of a band aid and could not say how long it would last (could be days or years).

He also said that they do not recommend sanding off the corrosion since this usually makes things worse and would recommend eventually replacing the wheel. Is this true or do I need to find a new tire guy?

By the way, over the years this website has saved me tons of money in repair cost, thanks everyone.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
6 Posts
Leaky Rims

Yes, I too am now dealing with this issue. Just had new tires installed, and have been filling them once a week. Looking for 16" replacement wheels but all the places I am looking at show 17". I dont want to have to purchase new tires 4 months after I just bought new ones. Any places to look?

·
Registered
2009 chevy trailblazer_lt
8 Posts
I'm getting so tired of slow leaks and flat tires. Do the rims on trailblazers have a reputation for corrosion more than other rims?

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
13 Posts
I'm a tire guy myself and deal with repairs like this all the time. Corrosion is something that builds up (generally depending on your location) over time. I'm in CO and all of the salt on the roads tends to create a lot of corrosion. The repair is a temporary repair, but it works well for what it is. Eventually, if you want the leaks to not come back, replacing the wheel is going to be your best bet. I know rockauto.com has them for a decent price.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
82 Posts
My last set of tires I had a real pain,took it back 3 times and no help.just delt with it,two yrs ago bought new tires and havn't had a issue!

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali
2 Posts
2006 Denali rims leak

I had no problems with leaks until I had a nail and had all 4 tires replaced. They all leaked after that had them brushed and cleaned and even polished with no positive results. Bought another set of 4 cooper tires now I'm into $1850 still leaks so I am going to put an after market rim on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts