Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any all season tire suggestions? I have my factory one's still and after looking online at the specs and reviews, well, they suck I don't have a ton to spend but would like something that really doesn't humm on dry pavment and something that will last all 4 seasone here in mich

1. spring
2. ORANGE CONE SEASON -Sorry michigander joke, I know I'm not funny....
3. fall
4. winter:):):thumbsup::hail:

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle_xl
134 Posts
Toyo Open County AT's are really good tires. And they have a 50,000 mile milage warrantee. They are very smooth and quiet. I would highly recomend siping them, too.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3,250 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
211 Posts
Just had a set of Goodyear Tripletreads put on about 3 hours ago.* Def seem to bite snow better, but it warmed up to 38 today, and snow got sticky.* Paid 705 out the door at discount tire.* If it does not snow again real soon, I will take it on the lake for a custom skidpad test!

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
447 Posts
Just had a set of Goodyear Tripletreads put on about 3 hours ago.* Def seem to bite snow better, but it warmed up to 38 today, and snow got sticky.* Paid 705 out the door at discount tire.* If it does not snow again real soon, I will take it on the lake for a custom skidpad test!
I put Goodyear Tripletreds on last month from sams club and was happy until I took my vehicle on the highway and felt the vibration and pulsing. my previous firestones had small weights on the wheels and were perfectly balanced. the goodyears required massive weights. this should have been my warning that these tires would be trouble.

Using the Goodyear Tripletred 30 day trial I had Sams pull the tires and replace them with Michelin Cross terrains. They are sily smooth on the highway and I am back to small weights on the wheels. One wheel has none.

I was once told that Michelins will balance better without weights better than Goodyears with weights. All the sets of tires I have purchased bears this out. I just cant believe I went for Goodyears again. Luckly I got out of them. Hopefully your luck will be much better than mine

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
....I was once told that Michelins will balance better without weights better than Goodyears with weights. All the sets of tires I have purchased bears this out. I just cant believe I went for Goodyears again. Luckly I got out of them. Hopefully your luck will be much better than mine
Michelin's have always been better when it comes to balancing. I had a '72 Vega that my father had the dealer put Michelin tires on, and they had virtually no weights to balance them even back then.

I had a set of Fortera's on my TB as the 2nd set of tires, and while they were great in the wet and snow, they wore out in about 28,000 miles....and I'm a fanatic about rotating tires and air pressure.....it didn't matter....no more Goodyears for me:duh:. Quality isn't reflected in the high price they charge:no:.

I have Geolanders right now, and they have been great. I recommended the General's to RYTB since they were rated pretty well, were quiet, and the price was decent.

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
447 Posts
Michelin's have always been better when it comes to balancing. I had a '72 Vega that my father had the dealer put Michelin tires on, and they had virtually no weights to balance them even back then.

I had a set of Fortera's on my TB as the 2nd set of tires, and while they were great in the wet and snow, they wore out in about 28,000 miles....and I'm a fanatic about rotating tires and air pressure.....it didn't matter....no more Goodyears for me:duh:. Quality isn't reflected in the high price they charge:no:.

I have Geolanders right now, and they have been great. I recommended the General's to RYTB since they were rated pretty well, were quiet, and the price was decent.
Ya Pete, I had to Grimace when I got the bill fo 4 of those Michelins installed $877 for 4 245/65/17's OUCH

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Ya Pete, I had to Grimace when I got the bill fo 4 of those Michelins installed $877 for 4 245/65/17's OUCH
Yep, I hear ya...they aren't cheap at all. That's why I went w/ the Geolanders. .....had better ratings than even the Michelin's at the time.

But when I get new tires in the spring, I'll be leaning heavily in favor of the General Grabbers...they rate better than 95% of the tires out there.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I have the General Grabber AT2s and Love them. They arent that loud on the road. I dont really notice any humm, I know they do a little bit but i am listening to music... I dont notice it, I really only notice it when I listen. Kinda like the drone from cutting off the resonator, only notice it when you pay attention to it. But back to the tires, I am going to be getting some good mileage out of these tires. I will give a good write up on them when they are worn out (wont be until next year sometime probably) I have 35000 on them now and still have half the tread. And I dont take it easy on my tires.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
222 Posts
check tire rack

Check tire rack...I bought the Goodyear Wrangler Silent armors and the Bridgestone Dualer AT revos....both excellent tires.. In NJ get bad winters and hot summers these all run great in both

Don

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle
1,614 Posts

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Michelin Latitudes are the way to go. They are a lot better than the GY Fortera's that came stock on my Denali and the BFGs that came stock on my Trailblazer. They do cost about $130 a piece but are worth it. 16k on them now and they wore down about 1/5.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Posted this a few weeks ago under another thread--going to add a few more comments--

I have put the General Grabber HTS on my Bravada. Replaced the Michelin Cross Terrain SUV that had all of 29,000 miles on them. I had to replace my tires due to weather checking/one tire had started to lose air at a steady rate, never had a problem with Michelins up to this point-- I've been a Michelin man for years and love my X-radials I get from Sams club, these were on my Tahoe, my 1996 Bravada, and are currently on my mini-van.

The Bravada takes the ever expensive 245 65R17 tire size. So I priced the General HTS--mounted an balanced--$124 a piece out the door with tax, The Michelin Cross terrains were going to be about $875.00. Dealer didn't stock these so they had to be ordered in.

So how are the General's compared to the Cross Terrains?

Quiet, very very quiet, much quieter than the Michelins.

The wet traction is better than the Michelins--snow traction is comparable, maybe a slight edge to the Michelins in this department, but so far I had more ice than snow. (Update--the Generals are as good, if not slightly better in the snow, but in the ice, the edge goes to the Cross Terrain SUV's. the difference is very slight and not worth swaying my opinion one way or the other, both are good)

The ride is a little firmer, and the gas mileage might be a little less, but I'm not for sure about that yet. The firmer ride is something I expected with this tire, (I can run these at a higher pressure than the Michelins) and since I pull an enclosed trailer rather often, it is almost welcomed.

The Bravada has a much better "on center" feel when going down the highway now. Not that it wandered with the Michelins, but it just seems to go dead straight now.

Overall I am very pleased with the Generals and wouldn't hesitate to reccomend these to anybody. Now we will see how long they last!

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
721 Posts
Here's the Tire Rack description of the General's tire:

"The Grabber HTS features General Tire’s Eco-Ride tread compound to improve fuel economy molded into a specially engineered symmetric tread design featuring an enlarged contact patch and General Tire’s Stabilink system of connecting bars that increase circumferential stability to enhance braking, acceleration and cornering. Response Grooves provide directional guidance for improved steering and Hydro Channels eject water from between the tread and road to increase hydroplaning resistance while three types of sipes promote traction in dry, wet and wintry weather. The tire’s internal structure includes twin, ultra-high tensile steel belts to provide brute strength while an internal cushioning system isolates the vehicle from road vibrations for a smoother ride."

Also check out the "Consumer Reports Rates Truck Tires" thread:

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=46842

Oh, and by the way, the $94 Tirerack price quoted above is out of date and for the 235 tire, not the 245 tire, which is what I have. The current price of both the 235 and 245 tire at Tirerack is $116 plus shipping with raised white letters, and they are again in stock.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thank guys

hey, thanks fro all your feed back mich seems to be taking the lead here! I love my truck and just wnat to treat her right... thanks agin and keep the good advice coming.. -:yes::yes::thumbsup::thx ry

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
....Oh, and by the way, the $94 Tirerack price quoted above is out of date and for the 235 tire, not the 245 tire, which is what I have. The current price of both the 235 and 245 tire at Tirerack is $116 plus shipping with raised white letters, and they are again in stock.
No, I just checked the prices for BOTH sizes a minute ago, and the price for the 235 is $94.

The 245 is $116. I'm assuming the 245 is for the 5.3 V8 version of the '06 TB?

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
13 Posts
we put on Bridgestone dueler ht 689's 245/65/17 they're great on the highway and in the snow and very little weight on the rims

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
113 Posts
I'm on my third set of Bridgstone Dueler AT revo's, they are a top notch tire. Toyo A/T's are also good, I have those on my Duramax 4X4 wearing very nicely....
Here's a pic of my TB in the latest snowstorm, even 3/4 worn they still did great.(4x4 and G80 didnt hurt either)

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
8 Posts
General Grabbers for '07 TB

I just purchased a set of General Grabbers from a local dealer chain this past weekend. 60,000 miles warranty for them.

Better than the Continentials that came from the factory, as I only got 23K on them before they became slicks in the Western NY-Metro Buffalo winter...

My 2 bits.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
48 Posts
Toyo Open County AT's are really good tires. And they have a 50,000 mile milage warrantee. They are very smooth and quiet. I would highly recomend siping them, too.
I second these tires.
The place my wife gets tires reccommended these and I have nothing but
good things to say about them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts