Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

81 - 100 of 140 Posts

·
Banned
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,253 Posts
Well, its not north-west, but a bit more north-central. I currently live in Warsaw, IN. I have two kids in the school system here and really love it.

Here is the basics about the town.

I know your looking to be close to Chicago, but I would recommend this area for you. The school system is great. The town has most anything you would need, and still keeps the small town feel. We are 45 minutes from major shopping areas in Fort Wayne, and an hour from South Bend. Indianapolis is a 2-2.5 hour drive, and Chicago is 2.5 hours to the downtown area, and thats with traffic.

Good luck, and let me know if I can be of any assistance.

·
Registered
2002 non_gmt360 other
344 Posts
We will be renting for awhile. Depending on the salary of the possible job, but I think it will pay well. I do like the looks of the Porter County Area. Thanks for the info. Another thing I worry about is my TB is 2wd :ugh: .

·
Registered
2005 chevy
256 Posts
We will be renting for awhile. Depending on the salary of the possible job, but I think it will pay well. I do like the looks of the Porter County Area. Thanks for the info. Another thing I worry about is my TB is 2wd :ugh: .
The 2wd will only bother you a few times a year...
Valpo schools are very good, and rental housing is actually pretty affordable, and there are plenty of them. Right now we're renting a 2BR 1 1/2 bath for $700 a month. Its a townhome, and were actually looking at trying to find a house, I want a yard!
But just to get an idea, check out craigslist, and search for rental places, or go to nwitimes.com.... those have been my number 2 visited sites (except TrailVoy) the past few months since Ive been looking for a new place. Where are you planning on working at?

·
Registered
2002 non_gmt360 other
344 Posts
Burns Harbor as a tugboat operator (captain). I finally got a reply from one of the many companies I applied to. They are interested and have a spot open in Burns Harbor/Southern Chicago Harbor. I have to live an hour away max, and it looks like Valpo and surrounding area fall well within that range. I am really hoping to land this job, we want out of Hawaii. Nice place? yes. Expensive? hell yes. What you pay for your townhouse in Valpo you would pay literally triple that here in Hawaii for a similar place :no: .

·
Registered
2002 non_gmt360 other
344 Posts
Sorry regulator, I would have to live within an hour of Burns Harbor. Warsaw looks like a nice place, tho!

·
Registered
2002 non_gmt360 other
344 Posts
The 2wd will only bother you a few times a year...

Yah, but I still worry a little. Guess I'll get winter tires and use them during the bad months, just to be safe. Besides, gives me an excuse to get my AR Marins in black I want for the warmer months :thumbsup:

·
Banned
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,253 Posts
Sorry regulator, I would have to live within an hour of Burns Harbor. Warsaw looks like a nice place, tho!
No hard feelings bud. I will fully agree that the Valpo area is pretty nice. I am up there a few times a year for work, and have never seen any reason to have cause for concern. I am sure you will enjoy the area.

What happened to the 2nd officer position for the Haiti relief ship?

·
Registered
2002 non_gmt360 other
344 Posts
Well, its on the ship that I was 2nd Officer on here in Hawaii. I called my old boss who is organizing the manning for the ship and he said they found a 2nd officer, but may need a relief officer in a week or so. That was a week and a half ago.....

Eh, its probably for the better. This way I am still able to talk to possible long term employers, like this tug company up there. Things happen for a reason is the way I look at these things in life :undecided

·
Registered
2002 non_gmt360 other
344 Posts
Its looking better and better boys and girls :woot: . Already had a successful phone interview and having another one with a 'company friend' out here tomorrow or the next day. I have a good feeling about this, could be in NW Indiana by April!:excited:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
219 Posts
lol you went from being in a Indianapolis zip code to damn near Chicago .. that's a far jump. GL man.

·
Registered
2002 non_gmt360 other
344 Posts
Yah, I misunderstood some elements of the job. I thought it was work up there for a few weeks and live elsewhere. Nope. Must live an hour away from harbor since the tugboat is a non-live-aboard. So if I land it, NW Indiana I go.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
You will be near all the Chicago guys. Some good people as well. Meets with them are a blast.

·
Registered
2005 chevy
256 Posts
Yah, but I still worry a little. Guess I'll get winter tires and use them during the bad months, just to be safe. Besides, gives me an excuse to get my AR Marins in black I want for the warmer months :thumbsup:
Yeah, I hear ya... I do only use it a few times a year, bad snowstorms and such, but when I do use it, its worth it's weight in gold:)
Well keep us updated man, also check the Chesterton area, its still pretty nice, kind of a sleepy little town, but close to the lake

·
Registered
2002 non_gmt360 other
344 Posts
Its looking like it fell through. I know there are a lot of mariners looking for work, especially in the lakes. I'm sure they found someone closer to home, its been over 2 weeks since I had my secondary interview with a guy here in Hawaii and nothing, not even an email. Still, even if I get a job in the Gulf of Mexico we'll still be living in Louisville, KY or even Indianapolis. Still all up in the air at the moment :suicide: but I'll keep you all informed. Even if we live down there we love our road trips and will most likely end up in NW Indiana on a road trip. I know at least I will, Chicago has a HUGE boat show every year with all the new racing sailboats on display :drool (thats my other big passion).

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
53 Posts
New guy

Hey all,
Just picked up my first Trailblazer SS, a 2007 Imperial Blue AWD. Just wanted to pop on and say Hi. Hope to come to some meets and what not when possible.

Trav

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Hey all,
Just picked up my first Trailblazer SS, a 2007 Imperial Blue AWD. Just wanted to pop on and say Hi. Hope to come to some meets and what not when possible.

Trav
Welcome. Glad to have you. What side of town are you on?

81 - 100 of 140 Posts