Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not sure if I should post this on RIMS or TIRES or Suspension but here goes.

So I have the STD Trailblazer (stock 16" wheels) that I had upgraded to OEM 20" SS wheels (fatter tires, low profile).

Had it aligned when I swapped the wheels but noticed that now the tires are getting worn on the inside. Granted its been at least a year and a half --probably should rotate more. Maybe alignment was off after a few months/years?

But here's the question:
When I get an alignment (on my new tires Im going to purchase), and they ask the make/model and year, should I tell them that its a 2003 Trailblazer or give them the specs for the SS (say 2007 SS)?

Reasoning: If they align to factory specs as a 2003 TB, the stock tires are hella skinny. If they align to Factory for SS model (OEM 20" rims), thats pretty much the set of tires/wheels I have on.

Does this make sense or am I putting too much thought into this?
Does the alignment shot align base on the wheels you have on the truck?

Another (interesting) question:
-I rotated the tires myself today. The steering wheel --which was dead-on straight before I jacked it up and rotated the tires-- is a bit off centered now.
Anyone know how to avoid this in the future? How do alignment shop fix this? I know on my old VW before, I would just pop the steering wheel out, re-center it, and put the steering wheel back on for true-dead center. :tiphat
Not sure if that really is the way to go.:p

·
Banned
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
238 Posts

So I have the STD Trailblazer (stock 16" wheels) that I had upgraded to OEM 20" SS wheels (fatter tires, low profile).

Had it aligned when I swapped the wheels but noticed that now the tires are getting worn on the inside. Granted its been at least a year and a half --probably should rotate more. Maybe alignment was off after a few months/years?

But here's the question:
When I get an alignment (on my new tires Im going to purchase), and they ask the make/model and year, should I tell them that its a 2003 Trailblazer or give them the specs for the SS (say 2007 SS)?

Reasoning: If they align to factory specs as a 2003 TB, the stock tires are hella skinny. If they align to Factory for SS model (OEM 20" rims), thats pretty much the set of tires/wheels I have on.

-I rotated the tires myself today. The steering wheel --which was dead-on straight before I jacked it up and rotated the tires-- is a bit off centered now.
Anyone know how to avoid this in the future? How do alignment shop fix this? I know on my old VW before, I would just pop the steering wheel out, re-center it, and put the steering wheel back on for true-dead center. :tiphat
Someone correct me if I'm wrong

·
Banned
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
238 Posts

But here's the question:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, it sounds like the issue you're having with the steering wheel being off-center is due to radial pull... I had the same problem with my Impala and the solution that we came up with was to keep that wheel causing the pull on the rear. Now you get the fun of trying to figure out the problematic wheel.......Oops, not wheel, but the tire. Its just a PITA to type this over again on a phone... BTW just because u have radial pull does not mean that the tire is defective.... At least that's what the guy @ Discount Tire told me after about 8 or 9 tire swaps.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
You should align to the specs of the vehicle you own, not the tires/wheels.

The SS springs are different, so it rides lower. Both lowered and lifted vehicles will have out-of-spec camber. Camber is what causes uneven wear on the inside or outside edge of the tire.

Many alignment techs don't even KNOW we have a camber and caster adjustment, and will claim we're like some other vehicles that can't be adjusted. They're lying or underinformed and you have to ask them before they start if they know camber can be adjusted. Lazy shops just fiddle with toe-in because it's easy. That's only 1/3 of the job.

And get the pre- and post-alignment printout to make sure they DO the adjustment.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
221 Posts
Good to know, I am going in Tuesday to get an alignment done and buddy said some vehicles can't be adjusted and some can, so least this I know if they try and say it can't be done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts