Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an 02 Trailblazer LS 4WD. When the temperature drops under 40 degrees the airbag light comes on and the seatbelt light flashes. The seatbelt light goes out on its own after a while and the airbag light will stay off after I turn the ignition off and restart after the cabin warms up.

I have seen some other threads with the same problem but I haven't seen a solution or fix. The threads just dead end. Does anyone have some help on this? Thanks,

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Very hard to find temperature-related intermittent connections. Recommend just tracing ALL the wiring to each sensor and airbag and seat switch, and unplug and replug each one until the problem goes away.

A mechanic with a good scan tool can talk to the airbag module and ask it where in the wiring (sensor or airbag firing harness) the problem is.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
48 Posts
Roadie....I too have an intermitent problem of the airbag light showing up only when cold out. I have read your thread and scanned your pictures on the clockspring. My steering wheel has never been off, nor have I disconnected the rack and pinion yet, so does this eliminate the possibility of the clockspring being bad?

Maybe a stupid question, but a stupid question are the ones not asked....So..... unlike you, I'm not an EE, so are you serious with your comment about a mechanic being able to "talk" to the airbag module and be able to narrow down where the problem is in the "firing" harness? Maybe a Tech II would be able to narrow down the problem? I have access to one is why I'm asking. Your expertise has saved me a lot of money in the past, so thanks again.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I got a lot of my knowledge by reading the shop manual cover to cover when I first bought the vehicle (I always buy the shop manuals right away when I get a new vehicle because I'm a curious SOB and I tend to keep them a long time.)

I would give up a sizable chunk of my ever-shrinking manhood to own a Tech II. :drool

I think your clockspring is fine, but reportedly, a Tech II can indeed talk to the SRS control module and ask it why it's setting off the "Service Me" light. It's the only way to distinguish airbag firing circuit issues from the many sensor harnesses there are, to narrow down troubleshooting for the dealers.

Since there are two impact sensors on the BACK edge of a tube that goes from frame rail to frame rail behind the radiator, my first suspect in snow and salt states would be corrosion or destruction of these sensors outside the cabin. But a temperature-related intermittent could be anywhere.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think I'll go the Tech 2 route then, fingers crossed. Glad you recognize that it's the "motion of the ocean" :p

You've always told everyone to read their "shop manual". I have the owners manual, which is like a 3rd grade reading book with no info. I also have a Chilton manual, which is much better. Is there another manual you may be refering too that I need to get. I would like to keep this vehicle for a long time, so if their is a shop manual offered by the dealer, I will get this and read it "cover to cover".

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,433 Posts
Interesting you mention this, back when it was real cold out I started up the truck and noticed the airbag light on constant and the seatbelt light flashing at me. I turned it off, back on, and it was fine.

What is odd is the cabin wasn't that cold because I had just driven it on the highway 15 minutes prior. Hasn't done it since, so I figure it was just some weird glitch.

·
Registered
48 Posts
So THAT's the book! Awesome, just ordered it for $135, will be well worth the money. I owe you yet another 12 pack when you come up here and try the Rubicon Trail.:thx

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
18 Posts
Clockspring fixed mine

My airbag light was intermittant at first and then stayed on. Took it to a local shop. They determined it was the clockspring or contact coil in the steering column. Wasn't cheap but I had no way of knowing what was causing the light. It seems to be fixed for the past 10 days anyway. My Envoy only has the airbag, no switches in the steering wheel, which means, fewer connections go through the contact coil.

·
Registered
48 Posts
After reading that someone honked there horn and this turned the light off, I honked the horn twice in two different locations, and the light went off immediately. Weird, wonder what my problem is with this being said? I didn't hook it up to a Tech II because after honking the horn, the light went off, while I was on my way to get it scanned. Murphy's law.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
12 Posts
Another clockspring problem?

I removed the airbag/steering wheel this weekend to replace the lock cylinder for the key... After reinstallation I got the dreaded Service Airbag on the DIC and the airbag light on... However, the steering wheel buttons and horn still work fine. Does this eliminate the possibility of me ruining the clockspring? Any other likely causes? Thanks in advance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts