Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
9,380 Posts
CAI

Haven't done that brand. Do have a Volant CAI which is a closed system, vs the open Airraid system. Only diff vs OEM was more intake noise. SOTP dyno no different.

·
Banned
1,590 Posts
never done a complete intake swap myself, but the only ones I've ever seen in person are the K&N FIPK2.... but those are about twice the price. That airraid actually looks damned awful similar; wouldn't supprise me if they're the same.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,311 Posts
I have heard so much about the good and the bad of after market intakes that i just left the stock one in and changed the filter to a k/n.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
113 Posts
I did the filter swap as well Larry, seem to increase in certain areas, also increased MPG a little.

JD

·
Banned
1,590 Posts
jdits7 said:
I did the filter swap as well Larry, seem to increase in certain areas, also increased MPG a little.

JD
yeah... the drop in doesn't have TOO much effect, but I noticed the torque/acceleration curve smoothed out a bit.

Of course I can't speak to a difference all that much since I installed the K&N the same night I brought the truck home from the dealer :p Felt kinda strange taking apart a truck I'd only owned for an hour :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
PaulP said:
S.O.T.P. ????

Paul
Also known as "Butt dyno" refering to the HP gain that is felt in your Butt you get when you add a performance mod to your car. This does not necesarily needs to be a real improvement when you actually dyno the car , but it makes you feel good about the expense you made.
Spear

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hey everyone, I just got in my Volant closed box intake system for my 05 TB and when I got it the new one that was sent to me was for a 02 tb. So, just for s&g I compared it to the factory one and noticed that on the factory one there is a hose that comes off of the middle of the airhose and goes down to what appears to be the firewall. What is this hose and what is it for and if I were to put on the volant that doesn't have the port for that hose to hook up to will it hurt anything?

·
Banned
1,590 Posts
henrywp said:
Hey everyone, I just got in my Volant closed box intake system for my 05 TB and when I got it the new one that was sent to me was for a 02 tb. So, just for s&g I compared it to the factory one and noticed that on the factory one there is a hose that comes off of the middle of the airhose and goes down to what appears to be the firewall. What is this hose and what is it for and if I were to put on the volant that doesn't have the port for that hose to hook up to will it hurt anything?
Well there is NO difference between the '02-'05 I6 engines/engine compartments so it shouldn't make a difference on fitment. I believe the tube you are seeing is meant to suck in fresh air from outside. I'm betting the volant uses some other method of getting air in.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
9,380 Posts
CAI fit problem on '05 Envoy

02EnvoySLE Guy said:
Well there is NO difference between the '02-'05 I6 engines/engine compartments so it shouldn't make a difference on fitment. I believe the tube you are seeing is meant to suck in fresh air from outside. I'm betting the volant uses some other method of getting air in.
I thought there was a change in the '04 I-6 engine CAI area. I believe that aftermarket CAI makers had to redesign the intake to take care of the engineering change.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
9,380 Posts

Maybe should call Volant tech support before installing. Their web site lists the same part number for 02 thru 05.

I'll try to post a pic here. This is their install on a vehicle.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
477 Posts
henrywp said:
so is the tube something that I should be worried about?
Henrywp, On the factory air filter, there is the large tube which runs from the engine air intake/throttle body section into the rear of the air filter box. On the bottom section of this large hose, just before it enters the back of the air filter housing, you will find a 90 degree elbow and a smaller diameter hose which comes off and travels towards the rear of the vehicle. This smaller diameter hose travels to the secondary air pump which is located/bolted down on the frame. Preservation of this system is suggested. You may want to consult K&N's website (www.knengineering.com). Follow the links to their cold air intake for the T/B I-6. Within their installation instructions, you will see how they accommodate for this secondary air hose. If this provision is not present for the system you have, you may want to consider consulting with the respective manufacturer (Volant) before proceeding.

·
Banned
1,590 Posts
Envoy Fan,

Maybe I'm blind, but I don't see the difference aside from the fonts/labels on some of the resevoir caps and the lack of a plastic radiator shroud on your truck. I could be mistaken though.... I don't know.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
9,380 Posts

On the Volant picture that was posted first, there is an indicator that is sticking out of the tube. (To the left and up a tad from the oil dip stick) The indicator tells when to change the filter. The second pic does not have that.

·
Banned
1,590 Posts
oh. I didn't even notice that, seems like a non-issue to me. Now, what year is the truck in the pic vs. your truck?

My '02 has that airflow indicator on the tube; but the engine was replaced near the end of '03 with a new unit, so I don't know if it has any engineering changes or not.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I need some help please!!! (Don't Laugh)

Hey, I just put in my K&N Mass Air Intake on my 05 TB. It was for an 02-04 model but worked on mine, an 05. Anyways, the intructions told me that if I have a fuel pressure regulator vent to unhook it at the vent itself. I don't know if I have one or not, so I didn't. Then later on it says to hook one of the tubes from the intake tube to the fuel pressure regulator vent. Well, since I didn't take one off I didn't know where or if I should be putting one on. Anyways, when I finally got everything back together and was doing my short road test I noticed that my gas appeared to have dropped 2 notches in a matter of a short 5 minute drive arround the block. Call me paranoid but I'm sure that can't be right. Do I have a regulator vent, if so where is it, and does it really need to be hooked up? Please Help!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts