Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, I've recently installed Airaid on my 4.2L. All my friends now noticed that my TB is more spirited. No longer would my TB rev up to 5 or 6K and still trying to push past 35mph. I noticed shifting is much better and the thing just flies. Moderately on the gas, the engine would rev up to 3.5K and I'll be flying past 35mph and keeps going with not much effort. I'm sure with my future Westers Tune, the TB will be a totally different wild animal.:) Just my thoughts on Airaid and TBS combination on a TB EXT.

Airaid and TBS is a great combination. Although a bit of a trade in is the whistling from the TBS. Now I experiencing what others had talked about. It is now noticeable. Since Airaid allow me to keep my resonator, at least my engine remains quiet. I really don't like the roar when going down the street at 20~30mph.

I had the stock airbox with the KN replacement filter in there. It woke up the 4.2L a bit, but loves to rev before I get anywhere.

The stock box is really a piece of junk I'm glad to get rid of!!!

·
Banned
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
5,307 Posts
dach95 said:
As some of you know, I've recently installed Airaid on my 4.2L. All my friends now noticed that my TB is more spirited. No longer would my TB rev up to 5 or 6K and still trying to push past 35mph. I noticed shifting is much better and the thing just flies. Moderately on the gas, the engine would rev up to 3.5K and I'll be flying past 35mph and keeps going with not much effort. I'm sure with my future Westers Tune, the TB will be a totally different wild animal.:) Just my thoughts on Airaid and TBS combination on a TB EXT.

Airaid and TBS is a great combination. Although a bit of a trade in is the whistling from the TBS. Now I experiencing what others had talked about. It is now noticeable. Since Airaid allow me to keep my resonator, at least my engine remains quiet. I really don't like the roar when going down the street at 20~30mph.

I had the stock airbox with the KN replacement filter in there. It woke up the 4.2L a bit, but loves to rev before I get anywhere.

The stock box is really a piece of junk I'm glad to get rid of!!!
I'm not sure if you forgot a word, or just misspelled one... But it would make the difference, did you mean that Airaid does or doesn't allow you to keep your resonator?

I have the Volant CAI, and when I was at the AutoShow this week, I drove the TB, the EV, & the Bravada, and I couldn't believe how much more response I get with my take offs!!

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
I've heard many pros and cons of the TBS. I'm still on the fence with this mod, but curious to see a pic. I don't think I've ever even seen one.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jman, made me re-read my previous 10X. I can't find where I made a mistake...but Airaid keeps the resonator.

I'm not an aggressive driver like those maniacs, but I still like to punch my heavy TB gas and keep pace with other light cars on the road.

My issue with my TB was it lags behind traffic with I pick up from a stop. I'm in NYC, so I need to at least keep in pace with everybody or be slaughered...

I did incremental mods to the intake so I sorta know what really kicks what what doesn't. Took it as trial and error if you will... Now with Airaid and TBS combination, I finally think I will rest in regards to intake...:) hopefully.... (I'm hearing turbos and superchargers...agh...)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
OurZoo said:
I've heard many pros and cons of the TBS. I'm still on the fence with this mod, but curious to see a pic. I don't think I've ever even seen one.
Well, at least it's not a turbonator which is restrictive. The TBS is essentially a piece of metal extension placed in between the manifold and the throttle body. suppose to swirl the air give it more kick... The TBS worked well with the KN replacement filter inside the stock box...given with the limitation the stock box. With Airaid, I'm hearing more of the whistling from the TBS showing that it is ever more working due to the extra volume of air coming in.

·
Banned
5,307 Posts
dach95 said:
Well, at least it's not a turbonator which is restrictive. It's just a piece of metal extension placed in between the resonator and the throttle body. suppose to swirl the air give it more kick... The TBS worked well with the KN replacement filter inside the stock box...but I don't really know what happens if I remove it now with airaid... But I suppose there is more good if anything... sometimes I wish I have access to a dyno... Nothings beats numbers.
I haven't heard too much positive about the TBS's, I wouldn't do it just because even the guys that like the performance (like you) still complain about the whistle. From all of the research that I did, I haven't found enough to convince me to get a TBS, so I plan to make the CAI and the Wester's Tune the only major mods for now, and now I start saving up for the Turbo setup (if and when it comes out).

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anything is better than stock, be it a volant or airaid. I was totally surprised by the mod.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Do they have a turbo setup for the 5.3 or possibly in the works? :confused:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
OurZoo said:
I'll try to post up picks of my engine compartment as soon as I can. I also remember someone else has a pick of airaid and tbs as well in their gallery. Also, I've been look for good NY cityscape to take pics of my TB with... I'm planning to do it with the bridges...Nothing beats the Towers in the backgound though:mad:

----------------
Found it...
credit to seige87

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Because of the config. of the 5.3, I don't think it would even be possible for me to install a TBS. There isn't enough room beetween the intake and the fan?

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Ive got a Airaid TBS and I absolutely love it. I know this is a touchy subject around these trucks, so I dont want any arguments from anybody!!! (Can you tell Ive been through this about 5 times before?:eek: )
When I added a TBS and a K&N drop-in, I noticed much better acceleration and mileage. I had the K&N on for about 4 months before I installed the TBS, and it alone helped by about .5, but I didnt have to rev as much. Once I put on the TBS, I instantly noticed how much more power I was getting and after a summers worth of gas, I see how much they both combined gave me between 2-4mpg (varing by tank) on the hwy. That is taking into account the ~3500ft pass that I go over. I believe because of these and the fact that I get much better mileage now, that they were worth my time. I sort of wish I could pull the K&N and drive around with a stock filter to see what the TBS only adds to my mileage, but I would rather put that $20 towards my new alarm and swaybar links or save it for my volant intake later this year or early next year.

Andrew-
As far as I know, there is no turbo setup for the GMT-360/370 trucks, I6 or V8. I think it would have to be done custom or by maybe stealing a kit from a fullsize truck with the 5.3L V8. I dont know if it would work, but it might be worth it to look into if you are seriously looking into it. The only thing I think might cause problems are the internals not being able to handle the boost and DOD (if you have it, but since yours in an 04, I dont think it does).

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
OurZoo said:
Because of the config. of the 5.3, I don't think it would even be possible for me to install a TBS. There isn't enough room beetween the intake and the fan?
On that note, you can install a TBS on the V8, but there is only about 3/4in clearance with it on. Ask Mr. Northface on automotiveforums.com about his install. He hasnt posted in a while, but if you are interested, it coulnt hurt to email him.
Good luck, and whatever you choose is up to you, not us.:yes:

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
You are right, no DOD. Probably a good thing there isn't currently a turbo. I need to save some $$$. I might just have to email him cuz right now there is barely a 1/4 inch of room in between the fan blade and the intake as it comes off the throttle body. I'll have to take a birds eye view to show you.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
OurZoo said:
You are right, no DOD. Probably a good thing there isn't currently a turbo. I need to save some $$$. I might just have to email him cuz right now there is barely a 1/4 inch of room in between the fan blade and the intake as it comes off the throttle body. I'll have to take a birds eye view to show you.
Well, if it doesnt fit, then dont get it! I am just going by what Mr. Northface said he did, I never saw any pics of his install. Since you dont have DOD, it will definately make it much easier to install a turbo when you get around to it.:yes:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
2,903 Posts
Erik is right about Mr. Northface. If there was a performance mod to be done to the TB's 5.3L, he did it or at least researched it. Last I heard (months ago), he was expecting to be just shy of 400 hp with the MAF and intake and everything else he did. :m2:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
3,219 Posts
Jman423 said:
I haven't heard too much positive about the TBS's, I wouldn't do it just because even the guys that like the performance (like you) still complain about the whistle. From all of the research that I did, I haven't found enough to convince me to get a TBS, so I plan to make the CAI and the Wester's Tune the only major mods for now, and now I start saving up for the Turbo setup (if and when it comes out).
If it's just the whistle that's keeping you... there are a few other companies that make them now. I've heard the Jet one doesn't whistle at all. I kinda like the whistle though...it kind of sounds like a blow off valve. I felt a difference just backing out of my driveway after installing the spacer.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Bill, now why did you have to go and do that? Gonna have to read up on this bad boy after work! :duh:

·
Banned
5,307 Posts
deathbynosleep said:
If it's just the whistle that's keeping you... there are a few other companies that make them now. I've heard the Jet one doesn't whistle at all. I kinda like the whistle though...it kind of sounds like a blow off valve. I felt a difference just backing out of my driveway after installing the spacer.
If it wasn't for the whistle, I would probably give it a try :m2:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
3,716 Posts
Ya, i was wondering what the best intake/TBS combo would be for my TB 5.3L .
From reading this thread it would seam that the Airaid TBS might fit, but i would still like some sort of CAI too... What would you guys recomend?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts