Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a low rider now :). Rear air suspension failed with a loud pop. The compressor kept running so I pulled the 30A fuse. Anyone have a DIY fix for this. Just guessing the air line blew or disconnected at a coupling....not sure where to look. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Jack it up and put stands under the frame to keep as much wheel/body separation as possible and start looking for the hole. If you can't find it put the fuse back in and feel for air escaping. But if it went with a pop it should be easy to find.

·
Registered
45 Posts
one quick way to find a air leak is with soapy water.. so if you wanted to give it a bubble bath and find the big bubbles

·
Premium Member
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes...random. No load or tow at the time, nor do I tow or carry heavy loads, period. After my initial post I dropped the spare to get a look at the compressor. I appears to have failed. On the backside of the unit, 180 degrees opposite the compressor cylinder is a flat metal plate secured to the compressor body by 4 rivets. 2 on the same side had broken allowing the plate to partially separate. I re-secured the plate with small bolts where the rivets had been. The compressor ran for about a minute but did not inflate the bags, then it cut off. Don't know if the compressor alone is at fault after 6 years of use, or if another part of the air system was at fault and caused or contributed to the problem. I'm seeing $$$$$ out the door.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
For a lot cheaper, just buy a set of OEM springs from somebody who installed a lowering kit, or a junkyard. They fit on the same mounts as the air suspension. If you like to be able to adjust the ride height if you do ever tow or carry a heavy load, just add Airlift 1000 bags inside the coils. Run a search for "airlift" and you'll see a lot of discussion and installation threads.

Also check out Ebay auction 160308239255 for a possible rare deal on a used compressor!

Or auction 380093877047 for a spring replacement kit I never knew there was a vendor for.

The classified section here also has some listings from members who have springs that would fit you.

Or get some lift from the Tahoe/Avalanche Z71 springs we offroaders have been snapping up on Ebay. 2007+ Tahoe/Avalanche/Suburban rear coils fit perfectly, but they're stiffer so the vehicle settles less when the weight is put back on them.

·
Registered
2004 buick rainier
210 Posts
That's the failure you SAW.

:undecided:undecided
I'm wondering if there isn't a reason behind it. For example is it possible that the reason it failed so is because the pressure regulation sensor failed, allowing the pumpt ot put too much pressure up? (pop)

Or maybe you got some water/ice in the lines giving you the same effect?

·
Banned
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
5,307 Posts
I'm a low rider now :). Rear air suspension failed with a loud pop. The compressor kept running so I pulled the 30A fuse. Anyone have a DIY fix for this. Just guessing the air line blew or disconnected at a coupling....not sure where to look. Any suggestions?
Please take a moment to fill out your profile so we can see what year and drivetrain you have. This may not be necessary in this thread, but it will help elsewhere on the site.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Here is some repair information that will help you. I recommend reading the general diagnosis part before raising the Envoy. It will save you some headaches in the long run. Also, the document is for 2006 GMT-360s but your 2003 should be very similar.​

My opinion is to repair the system properly. Self leveling rear air suspension is superior to coil springs for most applications. Good luck.​

1 - 11 of 11 Posts