Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an 03 Envoy XL.

After the car sits parked for a few hours the right side sinks down and in time the whole rear sinks.

I start the car and the compressor seems to be running great, and it pumps it up just fine. Perfect.

I don't think this is normal and I read some threads here about similar problems, but no one has said where the problem turned out to be though some have replaced their air leveler with ordinary springs. That seems precipitous to me at this point.

I suspect an air leak in the right air spring or maybe it's associated tubings and fittings. And after some time it leaks from the other side, perhaps across the system or through the pump and solenoid valves and out the leak in the right hand side.

I looked online and I found a GM parts site that someone mentioned in another thread.

It seems the air lift bag might be called an aux spring? I don't see a part in the parts list that is actually called an air bag, air spring, nothing like that.

http://www.gmpartsshop.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=213920&chapter=&Sectionids=24,2788&groupid=2523&subgroupid=7159&componentid=0&make=11&model=Envoy&year=2003&graphicID=GN02378&callout=2&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

It's item 2 on the illustration and seems to be a whole $11.76 each. Cheap enough.

Of course the leak might be in the air tube of which their are two at about $10 each. Cheap enough again.

So the question I have is, is the air ride bag item 2 on the illustration which is labeled aux spring? I'm not sure. If it is I might just order a couple of them and change them just for grins.

Can someone suggest another place the leak might be, or is there another cause of this symptom that I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance for any help. I haven't had this car long so I am not all that familiar with it. I have to resolve this.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$129.10 each for the GM part.

I haven't yet verified where the problem lies, yet.

The GM part 25815604 is $129.10 at GMPartsdirect.com. I found out by the way, Firestone Industrial Products makes those for GM. But they don't sell them, GM owns the tooling.

Not sure about the Arnott products. 2 for $179 plus some pretty inflated shipping, maybe a little less than the GM part. Surely not much. It was childs play finding a discount code for Arnott online, by the way.

The Arnott product does have a lifetime warranty. Presumably you would never have to pay for those again.

Is there another place in the system where a leak might exhibit those symptoms? First the right, then the left leaks down?

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Air is not supposed to leak.

I have an 06 SS. Mine leak down every night. The compressor runs for 10 seconds and they fill right back up. Dealer said this was normal. It has done this since day 1
I was at the dealer today. That's not normal by any means. Air is not supposed to leak.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found a specified drop in replacement air spring.

I found this. Supposedly a replacement for the GM air springs, made by Airlift.

$37.69 each side, free shipping. Geez. Lifetime Warranty, too. Says for 4WD, mine is 2WD. I wonder. I called the Airlift company today, but I missed them so I left a message. When they call me I will ask them if that is a drop in exact replacement for the oem part.

http://www.strutmasters.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AL-60279-CTB&CartID=1

Fits: 2002-2009 Chevrolet Trailblazer & Trailblazer EXT (4WD)

This is a genuine Air Lift replacement cylinder specifically designed to provide excellent leveling. Replaces damaged air spring and is made from sturdy urethane construction. Includes protector. Consists of molded air fitting to replace that damaged rear air spring on your Chevy Trailblazer.

Free Shipping on this Item

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
I found this. Supposedly a replacement for the GM air springs, made by Airlift.

$37.69 each side, free shipping. Geez. Lifetime Warranty, too. Says for 4WD, mine is 2WD. I wonder. I called the Airlift company today, but I missed them so I left a message. When they call me I will ask them if that is a drop in exact replacement for the oem part.

http://www.strutmasters.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AL-60279-CTB&CartID=1
That is an AirLift replacement bag for their AirLift 1000 kit for coil springs. It will NOT work on your Voy or any GMT360 with load leveling suspension as this airbag is designed to fit inside a regular coil spring and not replace it.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are right of course.

That is an AirLift replacement bag for their AirLift 1000 kit for coil springs. It will NOT work on your Voy or any GMT360 with load leveling suspension as this airbag is designed to fit inside a regular coil spring and not replace it.
You are right. That airlift part that is described on strutmasters as a direct replacement isn't at all. I heard back from Airlift about that, I asked them why the heck they *don't* make a direct replacement part. Clearly, they could.

It seems the Arnott air bags with the lifetime warranty are the best deal at $179 a pair with free shipping, but probably cheaper from them on the phone than from them on ebay where their shipping is a little inflated. Odd.

I still haven't determined that the problem is the air bags.

It might be the compressor check valve which I posted the TSB about, or one of the tubes. It's all pretty hard to see. I gotta find someone with a lift.

One interesting thing. Today at work the rear didn't leak down at all. Still up at the end of the day. Sometimes it leaks, sometimes it doesn't.

One guy said if it was the air bags they would always leak. Might be the check valve. I ordered the $26 part. I am gonna see my compressor up close and personal.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_ls
155 Posts
I have an 06 SS. Mine leak down every night. The compressor runs for 10 seconds and they fill right back up. Dealer said this was normal. It has done this since day 1
My 06 SS does the same exact thing, works fine when I turn the key and drive. As long as it works when I am driving, that's all that matters.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
11 Posts
Check Valve Replacement Kit Work?

Steevo,
Thanks for posting the TSB about the compressor check valve. My Envoy is behaving the same way as yours did.
I was going to buy a replacement compressor from Arnott, but I saw your post on the check valve. I am planning on trying this first and was just wondering if this fixed the problem for you or did you have to replace the compressor?
Thanks!

.....It might be the compressor check valve which I posted the TSB about, or one of the tubes. It's all pretty hard to see. I gotta find someone with a lift.

One interesting thing. Today at work the rear didn't leak down at all. Still up at the end of the day. Sometimes it leaks, sometimes it doesn't.

One guy said if it was the air bags they would always leak. Might be the check valve. I ordered the $26 part. I am gonna see my compressor up close and personal.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Steevo,
Thanks for posting the TSB about the compressor check valve. My Envoy is behaving the same way as yours did.
I was going to buy a replacement compressor from Arnott, but I saw your post on the check valve. I am planning on trying this first and was just wondering if this fixed the problem for you or did you have to replace the compressor?
Thanks!

.....It might be the compressor check valve which I posted the TSB about, or one of the tubes. It's all pretty hard to see. I gotta find someone with a lift.

One guy said if it was the air bags they would always leak. Might be the check valve. I ordered the $26 part. I am gonna see my compressor up close and personal.
When your sinks does it sink more on one side than the other, or is it even?

I haven't changed the check valve yet. I am trying to figure out a way to do some troubleshooting first.

BTW, I just posted all the other docs I could find on this problem. They are all together in one place now.

As to the compressor from Arnott, I found them online for $410 plus shipping, which is less than Arnott advertises their overstock ones. I find that interesting.

Why would a third party supplier be charging that much? As far as I can tell the list price from GM is $585.15, not "over $700" as Arnott says.

And I just bet I can get a parts discount at a local dealer, even if I didn't want to order online.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
It was the air springs leaking.

We finally got to troubleshooting this leaking system.

The problem turned out to be the air bags leaking around the bottom. Not every second, but certainly when I sat on the back and bounced up and down a little you could hear the air escaping. That was a *big* help! You really cannot inspect the air lines at all. We did change the parts in the rebuild kit for the check valve in the compressor. That was pretty simple. No idea if it was actually bad but since I bought the kit for $28 including tax, might as well.

I just ordered the Arnott aftermarket air springs, $189.00 (they went up, they were $179 last week!) less a 10% discount code I easily found online. $13.67 shipping to California. $183.77 total.

So I have to wait for those to come and I can install them. Hopefully that will solve all the problems with this thing.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
11 Posts
Air Springs Leaking

When mine sinks, it is pretty much even. Usually when it has been sitting for a couple of days now.
I went ahead and ordered the check valve repair kit from parts4chevys.com after my initial post - was $26.23 total. But I receieved an e-mail from them and it's on hold because the p/n didn't seem to match up to the VIN on my '03. I got the GM p/n from the TSB - GM 15183676. Is this the same as you ordered? Actually, I think it's pretty good of them to check it out before just shipping it.

I'm not finding the docs that you posted now, but only have done a quick look around. Those will be very handy. Thanks.

It's interesting what you found out about the compressor pricing. But, it looks like my next step is to check around the air bags. If that's what it is, it'll be a lot better than buying a new compressor - that's for sure.

I do want to say that it makes it a lot easier when you have someone paving the way for you!

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
New air bags supposed to be here Tuesday

My new Arnott air bags are supposed to be here Tuesday.

I will see about posting some pictures and comments on changing them.

I was at a friend's house, he is a longtime GM mechanic. 30 years.

We had examined things, put the check valve in without taking the compressor out. Couldn't see the lines, they are in some accordion pleated loom material so not possible to inspect them.

But when I sat on the back and noticed a hissing from my weight, he said "stay still and be quiet." He crawled under there and found the leak immediately by sound. At the bottom of the air bag on the left. Seems likely the right too but we didn't try to find out since both will be changed in any case.

Anyway, maybe Wednesday I will have another post, with pictures.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
When mine sinks, it is pretty much even. Usually when it has been sitting for a couple of days now.
I went ahead and ordered the check valve repair kit from parts4chevys.com after my initial post - was $26.23 total. But I receieved an e-mail from them and it's on hold because the p/n didn't seem to match up to the VIN on my '03. I got the GM p/n from the TSB - GM 15183676. Is this the same as you ordered? Actually, I think it's pretty good of them to check it out before just shipping it.
That's the one I ordered, and it was identical to what came out. We just lowered the spare tire and there was the check valve cover looking at us.

The kit consists of a cover, an oval shaped rubber ring that fits in a groove, a rubber valve and spring, and two new screws.

I'm not finding the docs that you posted now, but only have done a quick look around. Those will be very handy. Thanks.
They are there, the mods should sticky those so they can be found. I found several of them here, but took me a couple days to find them. The one about the check valve I found at another site but I got the actual TSB elsewhere.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=72264

It's interesting what you found out about the compressor pricing. But, it looks like my next step is to check around the air bags. If that's what it is, it'll be a lot better than buying a new compressor - that's for sure.

I do want to say that it makes it a lot easier when you have someone paving the way for you!
That's the way it's supposed to be. Years ago it was USENET. "Tell what you know, ask what you don't." That's what makes this kind of forum great. People sharing knowledge and discoveries.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
11 Posts
check valve Kit

Had to write again to parts4chevys.com and ask them to release the order for the repair kit. I checked and it was still on hold. Based on your reply that it fit your '03 Envoy I am going to assume that it is a safe bet....
Wife has been driving it everyday lately with no or little loss of air in the morning. But I'm sure it will get worse....
I saw the difficulties you reported with the Arnott bags. Man! Wish I could help you there.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
24 Posts
leak troubleshooting

didn't want to start a new thread. if there's a thread out there that talks about determining the source of the leak please direct me.

My Envoy leaks down every night. After I start up, the compressor runs fine and fills up and levels out. sometimes it lasts for 10 minutes or a couple hours. But when my car decides to sit down, my driving experience becomes a rodeo. I was thinking a sensor rather than a leak, since it fills up and stays for some time. Then I saw something about a valve leak.

Just looking for guidance. Thanks all.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
11 Posts
Check Valve Repair Kit

Well, I found out that Parts4Chevys.com cancelled my order for the check valve repair kit. Not sure why. I have been out of town on a new job and am without a computer until I commute back home or make some other arrangement...
So, today I ordered it again through GMpartsdirect.com ($31.53 this time) and hopefully it will be here when I return.
Luckily, the rear suspension seems to be holding its own for now and just intermittently my wife will find it sitting low in the morning.....

Have you been able to find a fix yet?

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
11 Posts
Well, the check valve repair kit did not work. It now sits down just about every night. I'm about to order the air compressor from Arnott. But I'm suspicious they got a load of the original design that are prone to the leaking from the OEM supplier. Has anyone done this?
Has anyone been able to fix their air suspension?
Thanks

1 - 20 of 92 Posts