Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody enlighten me to the operating conditions of the AIR injection system? I know its a curse for us TB owners, what with all the failures and CEL's as the result of this system. My question is, what are the conditions for normal operation of the AIR injection system? Part throttle loads, full throttle loads, engine RPM limitations, etc.

The reason I ask is because of my other thread, "Poor performance, at 55k", but being that it may or may not be an issue on my truck (no code), and that the information my help educate other members I figured a seperate thread wouldnt be a bad thing.

Anyways, I have poor performance up to 5k, mildly rough idle, surging on hard accel, and I am on my 4th alternator. My thinking is maybe mine is going bad and putting an excessive load on the alternator. Its just a thought but I figured that if I could learn more about the normal operating conditions of the system it might help me in my quest. I know its mentioned that its only on startup that the system runs, and I think Roadie mentioned its to fire up the O2 sensor quicker, but that sure seems like a large, expensive, troublesome system just to get an O2 sensor to fire up quicker. I figured there might be other operating conditions where it runs.

I appoligize if this is covered elseware, the sites search engine was being very slow and I didnt catch anything detailing the operation with a google search of the site.

Thanks

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Unless you interrupt the cold start process by driving off in the first 30 seconds, in which case it will schedule a leter diagnostic while you're running under some precise conditions I've posted before.

It is a ridiculous system designed to get ONE EPA requirement satisfied, even though almost all users drive off before the system does its cold start job. Insane requirement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.