Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi !!!
I have OEM air filter and I want to know for what reason I would change it for K&N. Not CAI, just the filter.

...And what should I expect from putting CAI.

Did not find any answer with search.

:thx

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
208 Posts
I've got just the filter and it works great. You will never need too buy another filter cause you can clean it. I think the truck breaths better with it and it sounds a little different with one. Can't go wrong in my opinion.. Just my :m2:

·
Premium Member
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
116 Posts
Tried K&N and went back to the old throwaway type. No improvement in performance with K&N and why should I mess with cleaning a pricey filter when standard replacements are so cheap. No K&N for me.

·
Western Canada Chapter
6,411 Posts
Hi !!!
I have OEM air filter and I want to know for what reason I would change it for K&N. Not CAI, just the filter.

...And what should I expect from putting CAI.

Did not find any answer with search.

You have to decide if the cost of the K&N is Justified being a lifetime filter. You have to keep your truck for a long time to get a payback and the performance is negligible. I throw my paprer filter back on while my K&n is drying after cleaning it and do not really notice anything other than the sound. :m2:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So no real improvement in MPGs ?
I'm not looking for performance and sound I was just looking for better breathing engine.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2,063 Posts
I have an AFE filter in mine. It's washable (no oiling necessary) and apparently captures dirt and crap better than K&N filters.

Matt

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2,762 Posts
Well I got 2mpg better with mine.And it has done that with every car I put it in(7)(one got 3 mpg).Ithink maybe why someone doesn't do better is they add to much oil to the filter.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
119 Posts
You have to decide if the cost of the K&N is Justified being a lifetime filter. You have to keep your truck for a long time to get a payback and the performance is negligible. I throw my paprer filter back on while my K&n is drying after cleaning it and do not really notice anything other than the sound. :m2:
I agree. We plan on keeping our TB for life. The $50 for our K&N filter will pay for itself versus throw away filters...MPG and performance are negilible. I've had a K&N for 3 years and only service it every summer.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
58 Posts
I have a K&N air filter in the wife's car and a Amsoil filter in my TB. My thoughts:
*The Amsoil probably does filter more particles
*The Amsoil filter is not a wash and dry filter like the K&N
*The K&N is a more durable filter in the long run
*I "might" have gained a slight mpg gain
*Both are excellent filters and would use either if I plan on keeping the vehicle for any extended period of time

If I was forced to pick one, it would be the K&N.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts