Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it started to get hotter in Atlanta, I turned the AC on and it blew mostly just warm/ medium temp air. It was slightly cooler than the outside air, but not by much. I added some refrigerant and it didn't seem to really help at first but then after a while it kicked in a little bit. I am now Down in Destin at my friend's condo and had the AC control number 5 work two days ago, and then yesterday it completely stopped working at AC control number 5. After reading several threads I am thinking it may be the Actuator, I am not 100% sure though. I did bring my can of refrigerant down here to the beach with me But I don't want to over fill the resivor and the gauge on the AC recharge does not work. I know that Roadie is an AC expert.. hopefully I can get some of his input on this, as well as anyone else's. I did see some refrigerant that is supposed to seal leaks at Walmart the other day. Figured before I go spend the money on it I would see if these products actually work.

Thanks again everyone,
Brandon

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Did any of the threads you read suggest your blower motor resistor pack could be the cause of losing speed 5? :undecided If you move the temperature sliders, can you hear the driver and passenger side actuators moving or not?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
The resistor pack is almost certainly the problem with speed 5.

On the AC coldness, how's the temp of your receiver/dryer? The silver canister on the passenger side of the firewall. If that's not cold, you have a problem on the refrigerant side of the system (compressor, evaporator, condenser). If it's cold and your airflow inside the cabin is not, you have a problem on the temp actuator control side.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just had my #5 go out the other day. The resistor pack went bad and smoked the harness, so I replaced both. When I pulled out the old resistor (original from factory) all of the metal contacts on the resistor were rusted. You probably need that & you may have an AC leak somewhere. I'd stay away from that AC seal stuff with freon, but that's just me.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The resistor pack is almost certainly the problem with speed 5.

On the AC coldness, how's the temp of your receiver/dryer? The silver canister on the passenger side of the firewall. If that's not cold, you have a problem on the refrigerant side of the system (compressor, evaporator, condenser). If it's cold and your airflow inside the cabin is not, you have a problem on the temp actuator control side.
The temp of the receiver/dryer is very cold. I would think that it would be freezing me out of the truck.. I wish I had the digital controls and an LT model so I'd be able to see the actual temp inside. But oh well. I had a feeling it was going to be with an actuator control related issue. I just don't know the AC system all that well. How often should I normally need to add refrigerant?
What should my next step be in getting the AC working properly?

I know that there are more posts regarding the actuator, but with the combination of the AC not working very well kind of adds another twist to it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts