Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer that I just love. The air blower works fine on levels 1 thru 4 but on 5 and 6 it has a loud noise. Any ideas? Air is cold and strong coming from the vents. Thanks!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
There's a speed 6?

Anyway, what KIND of noise? Mechanical or metallic? Grinding? Like paper flapping? Like marbles?

Whatever it is, it's involved with the blower motor, which can be removed from the bottom behind the glove box. If it's a dead mouse or a nest in there, that usually makes a noise on all speeds. If it's a bearing going bad, that could be the highest speed. Or a broken impeller. Just pull the motor and look.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. It is like a muffled paper noise at the two highest speeds and as I turn the blower fan down the noise goes away. Actually, there are 8 levels on the fan button. I am not a mechanic but do not want to get ripped off so I thought I would gain some knowledge here...thanks again!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Ahhhh, you have the digital control unit, not the one with manual controls. A flapping paper noise could also be stuff (rodent nesting material has been reported multiple times) in the ductwork, not just the blower area. But definitely start by removing the blower. Any honest mechanic can do it - not just a dealer.

·
Registered
gmc envoy_sle
55 Posts
I just wanted to add my .02 to this thread. Just got done taking my blower motor out. I had a ticking noise in the fan. You are going to need to remove 2 8mm bolts and 3 what I believer are 5mm bolts. I didnt have a 5mm nut driver so I used the closest SAE equivelent. Once I got the motor unplugged and lowered I found a dried up leaf stuck in the squirrel cage. Pulled it out, put the fan back in, and it is silent.

-Ryan

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Once I got the motor unplugged and lowered I found a dried up leaf stuck in the squirrel cage. Pulled it out, put the fan back in, and it is silent.

-Ryan
Remember using a playing card and a cloths pin to make that sound on a bicycle wheel. Ahhhhh, those were the days :(

Thanks for the replies! A squirrel was building a nest!
No, a squirrel cage is the generic name for the fan type used on our blower motors. The noise was from a leaf touching the blades.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
48 Posts
Remember using a playing card and a cloths pin to make that sound on a bicycle wheel. Ahhhhh, those were the days :(

No, a squirrel cage is the generic name for the fan type used on our blower motors. The noise was from a leaf touching the blades.

This "ticking noise" just started on my TB this morning just after I fired it up. I immediately thought of a baseball card in the spokes. Guess I'm not the only one, going to drop the blower and look for a leaf or something stuck in there. Thanks for the advice, just replaced the resistor module a few weeks ago and this morning I said to myself "uh oh". Should be an easy fix.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts