Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Air Compressor Running Frequency

11K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  kjadams1961 
#1 ·
I've had my '06 Envoy since mid-summer and it has been a great car. The one thing I have wondered about is how often the air compressor for the air suspension should run. It runs right away when started after being parked, and also tends to run every 5 minutes or so while on the road. I took it to the dealer last week, and they checked the system out and found nothing wrong. When I asked how often it should run, I got the answer "as needed" from the dealer. When I called GMC, they didn't have a clue and called my dealer on my behalf - and it did not do any good! (duh). The service writer said that they had heard from GM, and he "supported" me making an inquiry to GMC.

At this point I am really happy that I bought the extended warranty, and I am very disappointed that GMC can not forward my inquiry to someone who is in charge of the design and implementation of the air suspension system. :cry:

Can everyone who reads this thread post a note indicating how their air suspension system behaves? :undecided

Thank you!

-- Dan Meyer :)

#2 ·
Air Suspension

Dan,

I have an 04' Buick Rainier. I noticed that the car was leaning toward the passenger side and brought it to my dealer to try and adjust the car so that it was level. I measured 1.0" difference in the height (left to right). I got it back and it was the same as when I brought it in.

Went back a second time and they replaced both sensors and the compressor. It now leans toward the drivers side about 0.5" and the
back end is sitting about 1.5" higher, overall (jacked-up).

The sensors can adjust the ride height and may require some adjustment
to calm down the compressor.

My compressor runs after start up (always has) and when I add passengers. That is about the only time that I notice it.

Good Luck with yours !!

Bill M.

#3 ·
My '05 Envoy Denali's rear air suspension will run when the truck is first started. That is really the only time I notice it running. (I have put sound deadener in the rear half of my Envoy, so the system may run and I am not hearing it.) From what I have read here and on other forums, the compressor running often is a common occurance.

I have adjusted my rear sensors to make my truck lower. Maybe that makes the compressor run less :undecided

#4 ·
Anyone Else's Experience?

Bringing this topic back to the top.

Can anyone else post their experience - good or bad - about how often their air suspension pump comes on?

Thank you!

#5 ·
Bringing this topic back to the top.

Can anyone else post their experience - good or bad - about how often their air suspension pump comes on?

Thank you!

Ive had TONS of experience with air suspension...although not with GM Vehicles.....My previous car was a 1994 Lincoln MarkVIII with front and rear air suspension.....to put it honestly it was a pain in the ass.....It was great while it was working but during my time with the car the front and rear suspensions both went in a matter of 6 months.....(Fronts went than 6 mo's later so did the rears) Even after the car was fixed it still didnt seem right....because they both went and It took me a few days to fix (ordering parts online) the air compressor weakened so it would run but not up to the spec's it should be at so everytime I turned on the car it through me a code and a "check air suspension warning" I didnt bother replacing the air compressor as the car had 130k on it and I was going to be buying a new vehicle (My 03 TB LT) in a matter of a year or so.....

It's also VERY expensive for a dealership to fix....for my front air suspension they wanted 1200 bucks (parts and labor) to fix....I did it myself for like 600 bucks.....and I did my rears (which are less expensive than the fronts) for about 140 for parts...the dealership wanted 700 bucks for that job...

My guess is I wouldnt worry about how much it comes on unless your getting an error light or a code....

#11 ·
Deflation overnight definitely indicates a problem with the bag(s), the check valve in the compressor or a line connection. It's unlikely that a line itself will leak in between the compressor and the bag fitting. If the compressor fails (as mine did with a loud pop) you are likely to deflate completely and be unable to drive. After one compressor replacement, I decided to pull the bags when they showed small leaks and install take-off springs I purchased from a forum member rather than buy new bags (Arnott Industries) and worry about the next failure. Very happy so far with my decision. Arnott also sells replacement springs which are not cheap but cost less than a compressor and about $120 more than bags. Good luck.

#12 ·
Thanks for the replies. I did find a leak in one of the bags. I'm going to get the bags from Arnott since they have a lifetime warranty and are less than half what GM wants. I can do the job myself so that will save me the 200 the dealer wants for labor. Thanks agaiin for the help.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.