Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2005 TB LT 4WD - so I am driving Sunday Night and the Airbag light came on and has been on since. I work for a used car dealer and I went and got the reader for the codes and hooked it up. ( I have done this before bc I had a generic cold air intake and it triggered the Service Engine SOon light to come on and I pulled the codes, replaced the cold air intake and reset the codes- It came back on with a code for secondary mass air flow sensor issue and will be getting a new one installed asap) Well, when I did this today, the reader did not even come on!!! So, I drive to the local Auto Zone and they hook theirs up, still nothing. The guy there went and looked through all of the fuses and found one that was blown. He went in and got the fuses needed to reoplace the blown one put it in and Boom, the reader worked. He cleared the codes - I drove home Happily with no codes on the truck, I leave again with in an hour(onlunch break) and imagine, the airbag light is BACK on. Is it possible that there is a short somewhere and causing it to blow a fuse and trigger the air bag ?? I talked to one of the mechanics that works on the company's vehicles and he told me that when the reader will not come on, that the computer is on its way out... Please PLEASE tell me that this is NOT the possible issue. I can not locate any wiring diagrams to see if the wiring may have somewhere been disconnected - I am hoping that this is a simple fix ,like a sensor or wiring issue or even a ground- anyone with any info I would GREATLY apprciate it....:thx
BTW, it has 73, 638 miles oil changed regularly at 3k miles.... Sorry I had to add that too!!!

Ashley

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
70 Posts
I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that your computer is bad or on its way out. It may be a possibilty but not my first guess. If the fuse is bad again i would check the wiring scheme and look for any possible shorts grounds.

Did u noticed if the fuse blew after startup or while you were driving? Do you have an aftermarket sound system? I know that is a weird question but I know my buddy hooked up his remote wire for his amp to a fuse in the box and blew his fuse that controls his airbag (thats was a ford suv tho).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i am hoping that is all that it is! I checked fuses again tonight and none seem to be blown. It blew the fuse at start up I had left Auto Zone drove less than 1/2 mile came home, ate lunch and when I started up again, the Air Bag light came on as a flash, and stayed on. I did not get a chance to hook up the reader today bc we were so busy at work to see if it would read it again but no such time today. Hopefully, I will be able to check tomorrow. I am hoping that the wiring is the issue.
TO answer your question, I do not have a after market sound system in there, yet.... but that is a good suggestion as to what would be wrong with it! Nothing has changed with any wiring since I have had it ( bought it in May 09)
I will state this to see if maybe you think that this may have any relevance to this situation... I told in original post that it had a generic cold air intake that had to be repalced. I replaced it bc the truck also makes a really LOUD whinning sound at start up - only when its cold cranked.... replacing the cold air intake only resolved the check engine light for a brief period of time. then kicked up the code for the mass air flow issue... which is in the works to be repaired with in the week. That noise sounds like a jet ready for take off - it will stop in a min or so but it really bugs me and I have tried to discover what that issue is but to no avail on that either. I have no idea if the two are even connected but thought that I would throw that in...

Thanks a Milion guys!!
~Ashley~ :thx

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks - i actually stumbled across this yday too while i was researching. going to a dealer as soon as I get an opp.
thinkits the seat belt rrestraint the light flashes 7 times then stays on. wonder if that will help!
thanks guys!! !
Ashley

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
207 Posts
Just so you know the OBDII connection is run with the cig lighter fuse. I have blown mine and it causes it to not connect to a reader. The fuse is under the hood and it is one of the yellow ones in the middle. Not sure of the number but if it doesn't work again try the cig lighter and then go to the fuse under the hood. Bad design feature but cant do anything about it.

Also the loud nose might be a fan clutch going. And the maf might just need to be cleaned. New CAI somtimes are over oiled and can put a film on the maf causing bad readings. Look up what to use to clean before you go spraying it with bleach or somthing.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
7 Posts
Did you ever figure this out?

Hey Ash,

Did you ever figure this out? I have the same problem, the airbag light and the seatbelt light looks like it doesn't see that I put mu seat belt on, and keeps flashing for a bit then goes away.....

S

1 - 9 of 9 Posts