Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a question for all of i was in the car with my dad he has a 2005 tb ls and he ran into a road sign and for sum reason the air bag didnt deploy i figured the impact was hard enough for them to deploy but then over the weekend i totaled my 2006 tb ls dead on front impact and the airbags in mine didnt deploy either i was just curious if any of you guys have experienced this as well what could make them not deploy

thanks for help in advance

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
IMO they should have deployed in both accidents. Were these trucks bought new? Have they been in accidents before? Sounds like a problem somewhere. :m2:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Were there any injuries from the seat belts alone?

The programming and sensor thresholds for airbag deployment are proprietary (secret) and are a compromise between triggering too soon and harming small occupants, or firing too late and failing to protect in more violent crashes.

In general, what you report happens more often than the public believes, but there are no firm answers. For more reading:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/airbags/airbags_new_cars.html

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i just realized i forgot an important piece the 2005 tb airbag light came on a few weeks prior to the accident but we got that fixed before this happend they told us every thing was replaced and fixed and the 2006 tb had a security light on but that came on after installing my sub and amp to the stock radio and yes both these vehicles are used but 2005 was a rental car before we bought it thanks for your help guys thaats an intresting link aswell

·
Western Canada Chapter
6,411 Posts
If anyone had been hit by an airbag deployment before they will attest that they don't remember it or they say "Holy Crap!" I have had friends and relatives get mashed by these things and they are better than death or facial reconstruction surgery. But they hit you like a ton of bricks and if they do not deploy and you are OK then I personally would be thankful. I wear glasses and they tend to get embedded into your nose and face and lord knows I do not need a bigger nose!:duh: (plus it would probably make me spill my coffee)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha worring about your coffee first thats great lol thankfully i walk out unscratched according to the guys at the dealership where im getting it fixed said i should be dead but it just freaks me to know that if i didnt have my seatbelt on i would been dead through the window what if i forget to put it on just one time and i crash im dead its just wierd i mean if i totaled my TB and they didnt deploy on a dead on frontal impact how much does it take for one of these things to deploy:coffee

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
6,568 Posts
not having tested the limits on these trucks so i cant say for sure... but how badly was the front frame damaged? i know that they are tucked up in there pretty good... cant really add alot of info on this topic sorry jug.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lets just say it pushed my bumper and radiator into the engine right onto wear the belt is and twiztid my whole frame

thanks for all your guys comments and the links

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,228 Posts
well either way you are lucky from experience i have seen the damage from either a late deployment just when you relize you where in an accident and are trying to get out of the vehicle and bang it goes off or....... being stuck in a vehicle or like above trying to get out and a seconary deployment happens... so for anyone that reads this take extra caution while exiting a vehicle after an accident also if you see an accident never stick you head in front of an undeployed bag after an accident cause your feeling to help a person can become a very bad day for more than the both of you.
have a friend that owns a wrecker service several times has he talked about an airbag that should have deployed and didnt till 2 days later so dont get me wrong air bags have saved more lives than causing problems for people

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
with that being said (2 days later) is it a possibilty that the airbag might go off randomly when i get my car back roughly 2 weeks if all im getting fixed is body damage to get it drivable no cosmetic repair nothing inside just drivable

THanks for the replys guys

·
Registered
3 Posts
Air bag deployment

To answer your question why didn’t your air bags deploy when you hit the street sign. It's because it maybe one or two possible reasons. The first reason is that your vehicle speed was too slow to allow the air bags to deploy at the time of impact. The speed sensors are always sending the real time speed information to the computer and at lower speeds the bags will not deploy. The second reason is the collision sensors are place at strategic point around front and sides of the vehicle. Now when you hit a smaller object the impact wave did not register the sensors to deploy. I hope this can help you better understand some of the basic operations of the Air Bag System on TB.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts