Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this sucks! Wednesday morning I woke up to go to school, so I parked in a parking spot behind a deli and as I am pulling further up to the curb all I hear is KSHHHHH!!!! SHYT! What the hell did i hit! i back up and get out quick and look at the parking spot, and there is this big cylinder concrete thing sticking out of the parking space!

It basically ripped the bumper off a little and scratched the very bottom corner of the bumper.

I need some help on if i can fix these scratches myself, before i take it down to a body shop!

Here are some pics

this is before i pushed the bumper back into place.

this is after i poped it back into the hook thingy.

What can i do about these scratches!

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
138 Posts
I'm not an expert and I may be wrong, but touch up paint and a brush is your friend :thumbsup:

btw, love the color :hail:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,733 Posts
Man that sux! Looks like a body shop trip or live with the battle scars! I feel you as wife did something similar to the back of ours and we will live with it until we can afford to repair it.:bonk:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmmm if u had to guess, how much you think it would cost to fix?

would they have to redo my whole bumper you think?

·
Banned
2005 gmc envoy_sle
3,253 Posts
hmmm if u had to guess, how much you think it would cost to fix?

would they have to redo my whole bumper you think?
yeah i would imagine they would pull your bumper off and paint the whole thing......you might be able to save yourself some money by sanding it down,,{smooth it out} yourself so all the shop hasw to do is paint it.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
140 Posts
Since its plastic and on the bottom and you really cant see it just go to a store and get a small can of bondo. Mix a small patch of bondo with the hardener and apply with a razor plade or a small puddy knife ( i like to use single edged razors because its easier to control on small spots like that)

Fill the holes up a little over the surface so you can sand it down flush. Sand it lightly and put some touch up paint on it. Unless its a show car dont bother taking it to a shop unless u got 150-200$ to shell out because thats how much they are going to charge to take the bumper off and repair it and put it back on.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since its plastic and on the bottom and you really cant see it just go to a store and get a small can of bondo. Mix a small patch of bondo with the hardener and apply with a razor plade or a small puddy knife ( i like to use single edged razors because its easier to control on small spots like that)

Fill the holes up a little over the surface so you can sand it down flush. Sand it lightly and put some touch up paint on it. Unless its a show car dont bother taking it to a shop unless u got 150-200$ to shell out because thats how much they are going to charge to take the bumper off and repair it and put it back on.
I talked to a guy that i work with, and he said pretty much the same thing you just said. i pretty much have nothing to lose cause if i don't like the way that it came out with the touch up paint, i can always bring it down to a shop and have em redo the whole thing.

it sucks though, but i just gotta keep my eye open for little stuff like this :x

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
294 Posts
Ive taken years of body shop classes. My opinion would be to sand it down as smooth as you can where those gouges are, clean it off, then use fiberglass over that area and then sand it smooth. Prime and paint. The reason for fiberglass rather than bondo is that this is going to be on plastic and not metal. Fiberglass will stick better and last longer. Because the plastic flexes, bondo will take a beating and crack quicker than fiberglass.:m2:

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
140 Posts
Not everyone likes to use fiberglass for obvious reasons. Its not only much harder to work with than bondo but alot of times it doesnt seem to take paint as well. Bondo is simple. Ive done it a million times to tons of machines and cars and that spot on the bumper is not going to flex at all unless your hitting curbs considering its at a corner. Fiberglass is a pain in the butt just a warning:)

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
232 Posts
Ive taken years of body shop classes. My opinion would be to sand it down as smooth as you can where those gouges are, clean it off, then use fiberglass over that area and then sand it smooth. Prime and paint. The reason for fiberglass rather than bondo is that this is going to be on plastic and not metal. Fiberglass will stick better and last longer. Because the plastic flexes, bondo will take a beating and crack quicker than fiberglass.:m2:
dont know what you guys are being taught or anyone else. but they make PLASTIC repair kits specifically for bumpers. Ive seen some nasty ass bumpers repaired im at a body shop everyday.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
i really doubt too many people will look that far down at your bumper.
leave it as is.
Save your money for the next vehicle- or for a rainy day.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think i may try doing it myself. Everyone is telling my i can easly sand that down and use touch up paint.

Plus it is hard to see since its like around the bottom, i just want to get the scratches out.

·
Registered
91 Posts
you might look online somewhere and see if you can just find a bumper that is the same color if you are that worried i saw some front ones "used" a while back dont remember the cost.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
294 Posts
TL_2ENV
dont know what you guys are being taught or anyone else. but they make PLASTIC repair kits specifically for bumpers. Ive seen some nasty ass bumpers repaired im at a body shop everyday.
All that i was saying is that fiberglass is better than regular Bondo. I havent messed with bumpers in quite some time, but yes, if you can get your hands on some PLASTIC repair kits then use that product. Just dont use regular bondo it wont last.

·
Registered
266 Posts
dont use fiberglass on it. use flexible bondo like stated. fiberglass will shrink and expand in the heat and show out lines of the damage.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts