Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a very nice looking 04 Trailblazer LS.
In my other vehicle I had a perfect setup for playing/charging my iPhone.
It was a Kenwood head unit with a USB port on the front for playing/charging.
I looked into the process of installing an aftermarket stereo in the TB, and it looks very challenging/tedious.

I know i will need a special wire harness to retain door chimes.

I had some questions...

Anyone have full success in doing this?
I find it hard to believe that since so many things go through the stock radio you are able to keep all those features with and aftermarket.

Any suggestions/guides to help me.

I tried and FM transmitter and I hate it - dont want to go that route.

Please help

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
376 Posts
You can easily put in anything you want just by using the chime adapter. I purchased my stuff at Crutchfield, and the adapter was 1/2 price. I have done quite a few stereo installs, nothing major, and this, with the adapter, was not challenging at all.

Go for it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does everything still work in it, like that red blinking security light on the stock stereo.

and all the locking and security features, i dont know whats all tied to the stereo?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Everything works on mine. Not sure about the red blinking light on the stereo, but if you replace the stereo....I'm going to go with no worky on that one!

The chimes that you are retaining are just door chimes, low fuel chime, left your turn signal on too long chime, don't forget your keys in the ignition chime....that kind of stuff. And yes, those are the official names for those chimes.

Someone more knowledgeable on this should "chime" in soon. I'm just saying that for the average owner, changing the stereo head unit is no big deal. And if you buy from a good source, they will guide you through the installation.

That's why I like Crutchfield. They send you the install kits, wiring diagrams, & how-to's to do the job.

Bill

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,483 Posts
As long as you get the correct harnesses, everything will work the same as before. I've always ordered everything from Crutchfield. Sure there are cheaper prices out there if you look, but the customer service is great, and everything needed to install is free (minus the chime adapter, 1/2 price).

I put a DD JVC unit in mine, you can get an iPod hookup, but I just use the Aux input... I like using the interface on my Touch.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
52 Posts
this is also something I am interested in doing. I have installed a few stereos in cars so I do know what I am doing. its just a matter of retaining all the factory functions. is there a complication with the onstar working correctly?

·
Registered
376 Posts
I can't answer that one, since I don't have onstar, but I would assume that with the correct adapter, it would work fine.

I have aux in Sirius starmate, integrated ipod controls, bluetooth phone and steering wheel remote with my Pioneer setup. If intereseted, check out this thread.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=42835

Bill

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
89 Posts
To keep the door chimes you just have to buy the right harness. Most of the metra harness has the adjustable door chime which I think you rotate a small pin. if you have the onstar the model for the harness is a gms04 I think. I will let you guys know the exact harness within the week. I am in the process of installing the avic-f700bt in my tb but I want to be able to keep the factory rear seat dvd and have the video from the back play on the front and vise versa.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
16 Posts
Crutchfield is the way to go

They have the best step by step instructions for taking apart the dash and doors and the products they sell are good quality, I never have trouble with the customer service. if you go to the site you can put all your vehicle options in and they'll tell you what fits then its just picking what your preference is but I always check the reviews on things

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ltz
35 Posts
My friend and I installed a Kenwood MP438U in my 2003 tb. We used a harness from an install he did on an Impala. The harness fit fine, but I have no door or low fuel chimes. I don't miss them particularly, but I like for things to work correctly. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just Purchased

I Just purchased a similar kenwood head unit to the one i already have from crutchfield. They included all the necessary mounting kits/accessories and the harness/chime for half price. When it comes in i will install and post my success.

I hope it goes smooth, i have done 5+ installations before but never on something this new.

Thanks for everyone's input

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
152 Posts
There is an interface that retains the stock chime and OnStar functionality. I don't have OnStar, but a friend does and he says his works fine. I did both of the installs and had no problems at all.

Just remember: if you get an interface with the chime volume adjustable, make sure you adjust it before you button up the dash. I might need to pull mine apart soon as it's ridiculously loud...

·
Registered
376 Posts
Oh yeah, the loud chime....

There were notes with mine to clip a wire on the chime circuit board to reduce the volume. I did that (very easy) before I did the install and then put the chime adapter up behind the stereo. Volume seems about right. Can't imagine how loud it must have been without cutting that little wire!

I spent a good amount of time at the dining room table soldering up the harness to the chime adapter and that made my installation VERY easy. Plug and play.

Have fun!

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
152 Posts
Oh yeah, the loud chime....

There were notes with mine to clip a wire on the chime circuit board to reduce the volume. I did that (very easy) before I did the install and then put the chime adapter up behind the stereo. Volume seems about right. Can't imagine how loud it must have been without cutting that little wire!

I spent a good amount of time at the dining room table soldering up the harness to the chime adapter and that made my installation VERY easy. Plug and play.

Have fun!
I did all the soldering at my workbench, too. Saved a TON of time for the install itself!

As far as the "wire" mine wasn't like that. It actually had a potentiometer volume adjustment. My friend's was the same, but another friend had one with the wire. He snipped the wire and his is fine...

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
5 Posts
retaining factory chimes

If you a non-bose premium stereo installed, Scosche makes the GM09SR module that allows you to keep all the factory and warning chimes working. It also sends the commands to the ECM so you don't get error codes. I have this unit installed in my 03 trailblazer and have had no problems with it. Scosche also make modules for vehicles that have onstar and premium bose systems. Hope this helps you out.:)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Success!

I got everything in from Crutchfield and installed it with no problem. The chime speaker was a little hard to figure out where and how to mount it. I secured it right behind the 4WD switch.

Here is the result.

Thanks to everyone for the great tips!

·
Registered
6 Posts
have you guys also replaced the bose speakers? i have a 2007 envoy with the bose pkg. i want to upgrade the speakers but the guys at best buy told me i cant b/c pf the way the bose speakers are placed in the doors. they told me this is a kit you can buy to use any after market speakers, but i have not been able to find it. any ideas?

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
172 Posts
I've read so many threads on replacing the stock head unit that my head is going in circles with all the options.

Okay, so there is a module that allows you to keep the door chimes. Is there another module that allows you to maintain the steering wheel controls or is there a combined module for both? If they're separate, can you use both or must you choose one over the other? And of much less importance to me, what about the rear seat radio controls? I have Onstar, but it's the analog one, so I'm not using it anyway. That can just go away.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
6 Posts
I've read so many threads on replacing the stock head unit that my head is going in circles with all the options.

Okay, so there is a module that allows you to keep the door chimes. Is there another module that allows you to maintain the steering wheel controls or is there a combined module for both? If they're separate, can you use both or must you choose one over the other? And of much less importance to me, what about the rear seat radio controls? I have Onstar, but it's the analog one, so I'm not using it anyway. That can just go away.
I've been looking for the same thing. I just bought a Pioneer GPS unit but I also ordered a box that plugs into the head unit then splices into the wires in the steering column (i assume) that will make the steering wheel controls work. I think those little adapters are more stereo specific than vehicle specific, so your new head unit must be capable of doing it.

As far as the rear seat controls: with everything I've read, there is no way of keeping the rear audio controls with any aftermarket head unit. That's my understanding at least. I will post more when I know more. Gear should be here Monday or Tuesday.

I am looking for a wiring diagram as to which wires I need to tap for the volume controls, seek, etc etc on the steering wheel if anyone can point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this forum is super old, but can anyone lead me towards instructions to install my Kenwood kdc-hd458u into my '04 Envoy? I ordered the radio for cheap, and its in great condition/has all the pieces, etc. But i went to Best Buy for the kit and harness and whatnot, but after wiring and everything, I can't get it to work. There's a 12 pin harness that appears to not have anything to go into? From said harness there is a ground wire (which seems to be the only one), and an 1/8" aux chord. I can't figure it out at all.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts