Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_ls
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I made the mistake of trying to install my aftermarket JVC head unit which I thought I can handle but obviously caused a complication............I matched up all the wires together from the unit to the harness (Yes I did get the harness to keep my chimes) red went to red and yellow went to yellow, but the unit didnt power on!!!!! So I tried tying the red and yellow wires together and my unit finally powered on, and there I was with my Kool-Aid smile thinking everything was done, so I turned on the car and shut it off and took my key out but my unit was still on!!! Im getting constant power to the unit and I dont know how to fix this. What should I do with the red and yellow wires (keep in mind that when red went to red and yellow went to yellow, it didnt power on) HELLLLPPPPP:confused:

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,294 Posts
ok I made the mistake of trying to install my aftermarket JVC head unit which I thought I can handle but obviously caused a complication............I matched up all the wires together from the unit to the harness (Yes I did get the harness to keep my chimes) red went to red and yellow went to yellow, but the unit didnt power on!!!!! So I tried tying the red and yellow wires together and my unit finally powered on, and there I was with my Kool-Aid smile thinking everything was done, so I turned on the car and shut it off and took my key out but my unit was still on!!! Im getting constant power to the unit and I dont know how to fix this. What should I do with the red and yellow wires (keep in mind that when red went to red and yellow went to yellow, it didnt power on) HELLLLPPPPP:confused:
Does it shut off when you open the door? Obvious question...but...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol yea it still plays after i open the door, and as far as the remote wire (the blue and white one I think) was connected to the harness as well. Its driving me crazy because im going paranoid when I leave the car and im out somewhere trying to figure out of I shut off the radio or not

Ah, you beat me to it. :laugh:

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
7,255 Posts
is it still on after you open the door??

did you add a remote wire to the harness?
Ooops. Do we have a winner? If the harness cost less than 25 bones, you need to run the ignition wire from the HU harness to the fat pink wire under the steering column. I think that's the red? I don't remember it's been so long since I did mine. Other wire is constant power and connecting them together will supply "constant power" and kill yo battree.

Oh, and unless the blue/white wire is powering an amp or accessory, do yourself a favor and tape it off.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Harness i got is the Scosche GMLAN2SR, which I got off of EBay for 40 bucks but its 120 at Best Buy. Its the harness made to keep my chimes, but not OnStar (not equipped) the ignition wire from the HU Harness will be the red or yellow wire? Ill try connecting that to the pink wire under the steering column but whats the best way to access that wire? and does this constant hookup that i have know drain the battery even if i shut the radio off manually each time i leave the car?

Ooops. Do we have a winner? If the harness cost less than 25 bones, you need to run the ignition wire from the HU harness to the fat pink wire under the steering column. I think that's the red? I don't remember it's been so long since I did mine. Other wire is constant power and connecting them together will supply "constant power" and kill yo battree.

Oh, and unless the blue/white wire is powering an amp or accessory, do yourself a favor and tape it off.

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
7,255 Posts
Fastest access is by squeezing your hands in after pulling the plastic panel off. There are five 7mm hex head screws I think. You can't miss the wire. Just look at your harness, the wires should have printing on them. Pretty sure red is the IGN wire. It won't drain the battery if you shut off the radio, but trust me, you will forget. Run a wire lead from the pink to behind the stereo, and try the wires. Yel or Red only. It's won't harm the HU. turn the key, make sure the radio is on, turn the key off, and cycle again. If none of the above works, you just may have a faulty harness.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im gonna give this a try tomorrow after work, I really appreciate your time and help, and Ill let you know tomorrow if this came thru for me. Thanks a million

Fastest access is by squeezing your hands in after pulling the plastic panel off. There are five 7mm hex head screws I think. You can't miss the wire. Just look at your harness, the wires should have printing on them. Pretty sure red is the IGN wire. It won't drain the battery if you shut off the radio, but trust me, you will forget. Run a wire lead from the pink to behind the stereo, and try the wires. Yel or Red only. It's won't harm the HU. turn the key, make sure the radio is on, turn the key off, and cycle again. If none of the above works, you just may have a faulty harness.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
497 Posts
You answered your own question in the first post.

You put the red wire with the yellow, which provides constant 12V power.

You need the red wire to connect to red, which is switched 12V power. The Scosche units are infamous for this circuit burning out, which is probably the cause of why it wouldn't turn on when you hooked red>red.

Try it again, but if it still doesn't work, then you almost certainly have a fried harness.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
198 Posts
Also, never put your red & yellow wire together. The yellow is for constant power (keeps memory etc.).

The red one is for switched power (when it has power the radio turns on, when it doesn't, it turns off).

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
599 Posts
I have a similar problem with my Avic F90BT and GMOS 01 harness.....I have some strange electrical mystery with my car where if i don't have the 12v wire under the steering column connected to the red wire on the GMOS, my wipers short out the radio when I turn them on....but when i do have this connection, the wipers work fine, but the radio stays on when the car is off.

My solution was running an inline switch for this one connection which means I have to flick the switch on when ever i want to use my wipers, but leave the switch off so my radio shuts off with the car....

I think my TB is possesed...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts