Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are my options with aftermarket gauges? I want to install gauges for water temp, oil pressure, and voltmeter/ammeter. With the electronic sending units how can I install new electronic sending units without losing the information being sent to the PCM ? My thought would be to ideally find a dual port connector that could split the signal to both PCM and new gauge, if something like that exists. Help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Just get a Scangauge if you want to look at the data.

Not sure what benefit there is to getting independent sensors.

And the I6 engine does not have an oil pressure sensor, as normally thought of - that varies in an analog way to pressure. It just has a switch that clicks on at about 18 PSI or maybe 12. WHat the PCM displays on the I6 dashboard gauge is a total fabrication, a lie to make owners think their oil pressure is really at 40 PSI at idle and goes up a little bit as the RPM increases. The designers just made that display up to try to placate us.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The scangauges just don't look that good, the kiwi has the coolest look, but does not read all the info. The Aeroforce is a nice compact concept, but I want to see the data while driving, and not have to toggle through screens. With these older eyes, I need bigger numbers.

So at the oil filter, I could just plug in a new sensor ?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Well, the sensor isn't at the oil filter, but you need to leave the factory ones alone anyway or else the PCM might slip into "limp home" mode if it sees something horribly wrong.

I'm actually totally unfamiliar with adding new aftermarket sensors to anything but the transmission, so let's see if anybody else chimes in.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
On the '03 I6, the oil pressure sensor/switch is just above the oil filter on the side of the oil filter housing. In the service manual there does seem to be another opening on the front of the housing. (It's a drawing so it's hard to tell) The only thing I can think of would be to fab up a t-fitting to add an extra pressure sensor for the new oil pressure gauge.:m2:

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was holding out hope that there may be another opening, just hard to see. It is supposed to stop raining tomorrow, so I will get under the TB and look/feel.

·
Registered
2007 chevy
130 Posts
The Aeroforcetech is a nice guage and has two line/function readout. And you can program it to scan only the functions you pick. Plus it reads and clears DTCs. And it is super easy to install and can be in a variety of colors on gauge face and readout. I got mine from Westers for $227 shipped and I am almost 55 :yes:

The scangauges just don't look that good, the kiwi has the coolest look, but does not read all the info. The Aeroforce is a nice compact concept, but I want to see the data while driving, and not have to toggle through screens. With these older eyes, I need bigger numbers.

So at the oil filter, I could just plug in a new sensor ?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I emailed VDO, and received a response. He basically said my options for the oil pressure are a "T" adapter with the stock and aftermarket unit on either side, or to find another spot on the engine that would be useable to put in a new sender.
For water, the sender needs to be in the water flow, so find another spot on the engine, or tap into a hose. Usually there is a spot on the engine that accesses coolant, but I guess a heater hose could be a possibility. Any other thoughts?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts