Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,499 Posts
The only aftermarket fan clutches I would use are the ones from Hayden/Four Seasons, Hella/Behr, or the NAPA Temp line one. Yes, they do cost more $$$, but depending on where you purchase them they can come with a lifetime warranty, and they come from quality manufacturers.

The problem with inexpensive non-name parts is that one, they are often made with inferior quality materials, two, there is little to no quality control in their manufacture, three, there is often no warranty despite what the online seller states, and four, often times they are defective right out of the box.

I have the NAPA Temp line fan clutch in my 2004 TrailBlazer and it's worked flawlessly since being installed 6 years ago. If it goes bad, I'll take it and the receipt to the NAPA store where I purchased it and get a new one under it's lifetime warranty.

Reactions: 2002 TB LS

·
Registered
2002 Pewter ls with automatic trans. 4x2, gray cloth interior.
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The only aftermarket fan clutches I would use are the ones from Hayden/Four Seasons, Hella/Behr, or the NAPA Temp line one. Yes, they do cost more $$$, but depending on where you purchase them they can come with a lifetime warranty, and they come from quality manufacturers.

The problem with inexpensive non-name parts is that one, they are often made with inferior quality materials, two, there is little to no quality control in their manufacture, three, there is often no warranty despite what the online seller states, and four, often times they are defective right out of the box.

I have the NAPA Temp line fan clutch in my 2004 TrailBlazer and it's worked flawlessly since being installed 6 years ago. If it goes bad, I'll take it and the receipt to the NAPA store where I purchased it and get a new one under it's lifetime warranty.
I decided to buy an Amazon clutch, not disclosing the brand as I may or may not have done already. I did look up Hayden/Four Seasons, Hella/Behr brands and reviews and they had average 3 star ratings and even Dorman beat them in the ratings. But it boils to the performance and reliability of course.

Any who. I'll report back when I decide to install this new clutch.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Good Luck!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Good Luck!
These TB have have mind of their own. I been driving for an hour and I notice the temp was low. Plugged the scanner and read 188!

Seemed like the fan decided to work Normal

Hptuner will not connect to my PC so I just ordered the Bluetooth wireless dongle that you suggested and will be here tomorrow.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
got the hptuner to work and did a log. However, the fan was working perfectly so IDK... Wish I had the old log but I had to reset the PC and lost the file.

What I did notice is the IAT being high @ 130 or so and it did come down once I got on the road.

The fan speed was either at the desired speed or beyond, most of the time it was beyond. I briefly seen it drop below but then picked back up quickly.

On my last log, majority of the time the fan speed was under the desired speed and that included during my driving.
*Also I have ZERO codes and ZERO freeze frames. NICE lol.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Today, the day after yesterday I decided to run ho tuners for data. What do you know fan back to same old habits. After putting some gas the temp dropped to 188 or so. Good thing I finally got those on log.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Plant

It is fixed!! No more excessive heating.

Took the entire fan shroud off to do the job, just wish I had the new serpentine belt as I keep forgetting to buy.

For the real test, I drove through the Santa Monica mountains and before I would easily heat up to 217 but now 208 tops! You can hear and feel air getting sucked in from the front grill.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Great! Thanks for letting us know!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Will report back of this aftermarket clutch fails and after a 6 month update. The weather was absolutely beautiful in the mountains, just wish I had my dog with me.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts