Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have a non-bose 2006 TB LS EXT using a GMOS-01. The instructions on the GMOS-01 harness say to connect one of the wires from the GMOS to the Parking Brake wire on the new radio.

Now by doing this, it assumes the factory harness from the car is linked directly to the parking brake switch which will allow the DVD to play while car parking brake is engaged. I am uncertain if the factory harness in the car is wired to the parking brake to allow this connection to work.

Question is, should I connect the GMOS-to-radio parking wire or should I run the parking brake wire from the new DVD HU directly to the parking brake switch?

I am not interested in an overide switch.

Thanks

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
57 Posts
If its like the GMOS-014 that I installed (and I doubt they'd be that much different), just connect it to the adapter.

Depending on the make of the HU, you could just ground the parking brake wire so your passenger can watch while you drive, but if your local police see it you could get a ticket. On my Jensen that's what I did, but my new JVC needs the relay, so I just wired it to the adapter and called it good. That's a safety choice you'll have to make for yourself.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Big fat negative for me. Doesn't work.

I googled this issue both on this forum and off.....funny thing is that of the thousands of threads that came back under the search, everyone of them was on modding the DVD player to operate while driving.

Well, if it helps anyone, I did come across one post from another site. The issue is apparently that not all factory harnesses have the parking brake sensor incorporated into them. The poster in the example I found also resulted to modding the player to operate while driving.

I think the answer is that this specific wire connection on some cars will require a direct connection to the parking brake sensor itself. My unit requires the parking brake to be on, off, then on again to work. This also may be why ist not working through the factory harness. I will connect it directly to the sensor and let you know in case anyone is interested.

Funny thing is that there are some bluetooth phone features that wont work while the car is driving (i.e. number dial touchpad for phone) and only work while the car is parked. This feature works as designed so it must be linked to aomething else in the data 2 line. I dont understand why they cant just tie in the DVD player to this same source. Beats me....

EDIT:

Connected the parking brake wire from the headunit directly to the parking brake switch wire at the base of the parking brake lever and everything works per the instructions. When you first turn the car on, you then need to pull up the parking brake, release it, then pull it back up and the DVD unit will work.

·
Registered
552 Posts
What I like about this post - is that it seems there's gonna be a new generation of drivers who now use their parking brake.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts