Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2004 trailblazer_ls_ext
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS EXT 6cyl. I am having my Rack and Pinion replaced for the second time in two weeks. I am returning the first used replacement I purchased. What tricks are there to get the most life out of the truck and keep her on the road for years on? The replacement is used and 1,000 miles on it. I'm using Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak to help keep the seals tight. Please help me. I love my truck.

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2,762 Posts
Knock on wood,I put a new rack in two yrs a go and no problem,but I did used knuckles to because I had one of the 1st trucks and had a thinner unit.so I upgrade.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
4,125 Posts
Dont think you should be putting in leak stop if it doesn't have a leak. What happened to the first replacement unit?

as to the thinner knuckles I think he means the tie rods. in 02-03 GM made them bigger.

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2,762 Posts
Where the tierod goes into is the knuckle and the 1st half yr had smaller ,so I had to change the knuckles because I upgraded the rack to the heavier duty.

·
Registered
2004 trailblazer_ls_ext
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a leak in the Rack and Pinion. Leaking power steering fluid. I replaced the Rack and Pinion and another seal broke. Not the first broken seal. I am replacing the Rack and Pinion again in the morning and was going to use Lucas Stop Leak once the replacement is done but I shouldn't do that?

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
I had a leak in the Rack and Pinion. Leaking power steering fluid. I replaced the Rack and Pinion and another seal broke. Not the first broken seal. I am replacing the Rack and Pinion again in the morning and was going to use Lucas Stop Leak once the replacement is done but I shouldn't do that?
Well the stop leak might fatten them up to the point of excess wear and I'm wondering if thats what happened with the first replacement. or just a bad part

·
Registered
2004 trailblazer_ls_ext
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't use it on the first Rack replacement. The leak in the replacement was caused by, a hunch, turning on the 4WD for the first time in awhile which caused a jerk and then the leak started. On a different seal then the first time.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Ok. I doubt the 4wd had anything to do with it. I've done some crazy dnuts and drifts in empty parking lots when we get a ton of snow and no leaks. The rack in my truck was replaced around 70k right around when I bought it and has been fine since. I'm at 134K miles now

·
Registered
2004 trailblazer_ls_ext
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well. 2nd Rack and Pinion installed. All I did was ad regular power steering fluid. So far so good.

·
Registered
gmc envoy_sle
11 Posts
I had my bellows (boots) that came loose. The factory clamps rusted away and I used plastic cable ties and secured them to the tyrod ends. This lasted for 5 years. I notices that one is missing and one is loose Probably from the car wash. Anyway, I was told that there are different rack and pinion assemblies It is based on the VIN number and some code located on either the driver side door or the glove box door. Any suggestions? I'm going to go by the VIN number and get the OEM direct replacement assembly and new outer tyrod ends for ease of installation. I'm hoping all the lines and hoses can be reused too!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts