Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone. 1st Post. Taking delivery of a blue Tbss today. Looking eventually to do a full exhaust including headers and high flow cats, ecm tune, and CAI. A lot of recent posts have brought up the issue of K&N filters and MAF oiling. Has anybody looked into AFE filters. I have an'04 GMC Duramax with an AFE Stage 2 intake. A lot of diesel tuners seem to be using these filters because they apparently don't have oiling problems, and filtration tests showed them to filter to the same extent as the OEM Delco whereas the K&N filtered significantly less. Eurotuners seem to be adopting them as well. Afe was apparently formed by a group of former K&N employees that started their own company. I have 30k on my system with no problems. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
9,380 Posts
Welcome to the forum.:yes: Congrats on the TB SS.:cool:

Do you have a part number for the AFE filter? The same filter fits all TB's 4.2L thru 6.0L when using a K&N.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Congratulations and Welcome.

I never looked into the AFE filters. Do you have any more info on them you would like to share????

Is it a replacement filter? Is it a CAI set up? etc...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Funny, I was just on their website and they list filter number 10-10060 as Trailblazer 4.2L and 5.3L OEM replacement. No mention of TBSS though. I would imagine that when tuners such as Chris(GTPprix) get through with their airbox mods, they may be using different filters from the OEM replacements.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
377 Posts
You can use a K&N with no worries of messing up your MAF. They come perfectly oiled from the factory. The time people are having trouble with them is like after 30K miles when they clean the filter and re-oil it. They end up using too much oil and then it gets on the MAF. If that happens just use a little electronics cleaner and the problem is solved. It has basically become and urban legend at this point, sheesh!

·
Registered
2007 gmc
11,894 Posts
westbayou said:
You can use a K&N with no worries of messing up your MAF. They come perfectly oiled from the factory. The time people are having trouble with them is like after 30K miles when they clean the filter and re-oil it. They end up using too much oil and then it gets on the MAF. If that happens just use a little electronics cleaner and the problem is solved. It has basically become and urban legend at this point, sheesh!

Amen

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
9,380 Posts
Jonnyss said:
Funny, I was just on their website and they list filter number 10-10060 as Trailblazer 4.2L and 5.3L OEM replacement. No mention of TBSS though. I would imagine that when tuners such as Chris(GTPprix) get through with their airbox mods, they may be using different filters from the OEM replacements.
:undecided Which website, we have talked of two or three vendors:confused:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
afefilters.com--product search-- OEM filter page--2006 Chevrolet trailblazer--lists the part number

·
Registered
17 Posts
That neck down area needs to be eliminated-it chokes down 1" in diameter-think of how many less cfm flow through that than the throttle body. I made some measurements of the space and am currently doing some searches for a perfect fit universal cone or conical filter from different manufacturer's-there doesn't seem to be one, so I am comparing different very close matches.

I'm wondering if the airraid intake tube between the MAF and throttle body listed on another earlier thread fits on the SS to eliminate the silencer and further improve airflfow.

I think those mods plus opening the hole behind the grille CAI opening should be worth at least 10 hp.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
3,716 Posts
Envoy Fan said:
Got mine at the local Auto Zone :yes: Instant gratification.:D

Who did you order from?
None of my local parts places (NAPA, PartSource, Canadian Tire) had the E-1009 , so i ordered one off of ebay from "exotictruck-auto". Im gonna send him an email right now!

Edit: email sent, i looked through my files and my payment was sent to him on the 2nd of december, 2005. If i dont hear from him in 1-1.5 weeks, im reporting him to ebay!

*end rant*

·
Registered
53 Posts
the E-1009 is so common im surprised you had to order one. Every place i went had one but i ordered the E-0773 for a Colorado like ludicrist did. It eliminates the neckdown and was cheaper than the E-1009. bigger opening= better air flow. my :m2:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts