Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Thanks in advance for your time.

First a quick overview. I am not a fan of working on cars, but I'm also not a fan of buying brand new cars and paying the ridiculous first owner cost.

I own a 2000 Dodge Caravan that is paid off, but has $3k in body damage and needs $1200 in transmission work (though strangely started working on its own this weekend and seems to be fine again). It has 55k miles on it.

I also own a 97 BMW 328i. It will be paid off in 2 months. It needs AC work and a chain change, but other than that, it has been completely repair free for the 5 years I've owned. First car to ever do that for me!

Now to the trailblazer. A friend of mine is selling a 2002. It has 112,000 miles, mostly all highway miles because he travels a lot. It looks brand new, like just off the lot. It has a hitch, which is good because we want to get a small camping trailer. Here is the link to it when he listed it on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0334156068&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&viewitem=

He has agreed to sell it to me for $6650. I was set to make the purchase but then the bank told me that they could only loan me 4450 on it due to its unusually high mileage and now I'm second guessing.

Question is, is a 112,000 mile Trailblazer more reliable than a 55k mile Dodge Caravan? Should I get the caravan fixed and have no payments, or buy the trailblazer and have payments for a few years (although very low payments).

Thanks!
Brian

·
Registered
2006 chevy
2,079 Posts
Personally I would dump the Caravan.. MY friend has been through 3 transmissions on his. I never liked them and they are not reliable.

The Trailblazer is a bit high for a 2002 with 112K miles on it,

I have see a Trailblazer for sale here in PHilly with 63K going for $6299.00

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
294 Posts
Yeah that sounds kind of high to me as well. I just bought my 03 Trailblazer fully loaded, 4x4, sunroof, g80 diff, all power windows and locks, very clean with 80,000 miles for $6000. I would talk him down if you could.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I did look around first, before giving him a counter off to his original $8k asking price. I just searched again for an example, on autotrader, within 100 miles of my house and got these (and only these):
- $6,850 Mileage: 139,149
- $5,995 Mileage: 124,079
- $6,995 Mileage: 140,350
- $6,994 Mileage: 98,532
- $5,900 Mileage: 106,261

and then the one I'm looking at for reference:
- $6,650 Mileage: 112,000

Brian

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
9,380 Posts
The one on Ebay may have been abused. Has a CAI and Jet chip. Jet chip has affected performance in some TBs.

No one on Ebay was willing to pay his price. I think the bank is trying to tell you something (truck priced too high). :m2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks SilverUnicorn!

He was trying to see if he could get $8k for it on ebay so he had the minimum very high. Since it didn't sell for that, then he agreed to sell it to me for the 6650. For Florida, the price looks right. I could not a better deal anywhere here. Not many people down here have these and therefore there aren't many for sale. Carmax sells 2002's for $11k.

I guess my biggest question was if a Trailblazer is reliable enough with that many miles on it, and from what I'm hearing here, probably not.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
97 Posts
i just bought an 02 tb ls with a sunroof PL PW it had 110k on it when i bought it for 5500 ive had a few problems bout overall its been an amazing vehicle... id go for it.. and if you can maybe you can get him to go lower on the price

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,420 Posts
I guess my biggest question was if a Trailblazer is reliable enough with that many miles on it, and from what I'm hearing here, probably not.
It's not that it isn't that reliable because it is... it's that he is asking way too much for what you are getting... that is what these guys are trying to say, not that it's not a good vehicle...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the clarification. I communicated to him that I would not pay that amount. We'll see what he says and in the mean time I'll keep looking for another one.

Branley

·
Registered
2004 chevy
113 Posts
Increase your search radius. I went 800 miles to get the TB I wanted. You will have it a long time, so it's worth the trouble.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Ask him what he's replaced on it. If he hasn't done the fan clutch and water pump, those will probably be due soon. If he hasn't done the thermostat, it also may be due (although maybe not in Fl). Has he ever had anything done to the transmission? If he hasn't had the fluid changed at least once, preferably around 50k-75k miles, it very well may be about to go if he ever used it to tow (especially an '02). Also, what trim level is it? That makes a big difference in price. But even still, I couldn't get that for my fully loaded '04 up here. Hopefully he will come down on the price for you. There's a few other things you should ask him if he's fixed/replaced, but I can't think of them right now. Oh yeah, transfer case fluid should have been changed a long time ago too if it's 4wd, and differential fluid needs replacing at ~100k miles. If he drives it hard, brakes could possibly be coming due (though not likely). All that being said though, the thing I like most about my TB is that it almost always lets you know way ahead of time if something's going to break, even reading here on the boards (where everyone tells you there problems), you don't here of all that many times where their truck left them stranded somewhere because of a failure. That's something that can't be said about a LOT of vehicles. And I actually enjoy working on it, on the odd chance that something needs replacing. And about your friend- If you decide, for any reason, you don't want his truck, don't feel bad about not buying it, even if you get another TB. You're the one that has to live with it for the next few (or many) years. And I would seriously consider expanding your search and taking a drive to get another one; you'll probably be much happier in the long run. :m2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I appreciate your advice SandCountry. I turned him down on that price and haven't heard back from him yet. Before he mentioned his TB I had never even though about one, and was torn between getting a van or a truck because we like both. Now that I looked into TBs it really seems it could server both needs. So I'm looking into getting a newer one, 2005, with 34k miles on it. Just found one here from a GM dealer that comes with the 12 mo/12k mile warranty on it. Hoping to go see it this week.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm not exactly an expert, but in the long haul I think you'll be much happier in the 2005 than the 2002. By 2005 pretty much all of the problems had been worked out, and with those miles it should be smooth sailing for a while to come. Also, since you're looking, don't forget to look at GMC Envoys, Oldsmobile Bravadas, Buick Rainiers, Isuzu Ascenders, and Saab 9-7X's, because they're all basically Trailblazers with different bodies, and except for the Saab, cost about what a Trailblazer would cost. And you might get lucky and find one close to you.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
9,380 Posts
I appreciate your advice SandCountry. I turned him down on that price and haven't heard back from him yet. Before he mentioned his TB I had never even though about one, and was torn between getting a van or a truck because we like both. Now that I looked into TBs it really seems it could server both needs. So I'm looking into getting a newer one, 2005, with 34k miles on it. Just found one here from a GM dealer that comes with the 12 mo/12k mile warranty on it. Hoping to go see it this week.
You will be much better off with the '05. GM redesigned the seats that year to be more comfortable. Other early production gremlins also smoothed out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts