Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks,

I just bought my 07 trailblazer a couple of months ago and want to upgrade the sound a bit. My issue is a have to retain my cargo space for work, so whatever I do needs to take up as little space as possible. I was thinking of upgrading the door speakers, replacing HU maybe, adding amp, and adding sub. I don't want to rattle anybody's windows or nothing just better quality sound. I listen to rock mostly and a some country.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.
Mudd

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
846 Posts
I have been recommended to do a new HU first. If you are looking add a sub/amp I would look into a stealth system, this will retain most cargo area. As for doing the door speakers compared to a sub/amp first it would just depend on what you want, but from the way it sounds door speakers would help your overall sound quality more.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
713 Posts
the stealth sub would be a good (though expensive - ive heard) way to go. a quality sub+amp would add a little bit of thump, and help the stock door speakers out. i just added 2 12' subs and an 1800W amp, at low volumes you can tell the increase in volume of the stock bose system without the insane bass... just my :m2:

·
Registered
846 Posts
My Boss BASS1200 puts out some pretty good thump. That takes up barely any space when on the floor. If mounted to the back of the seat it wouldn't take up any.

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
Everything is stock. I wouldn't want to spend more than $600.
It's important for us to know which stock system you have. You should find out if it has the factory bose system. There are a couple of ways to do it from what I have read:
  • the RPO code "UQA" is on the label in the glove box
  • it says bose on the headunit or on the display when it powers on
  • you can see speakers underneath the cutouts on top of the dash

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's important for us to know which stock system you have. You should find out if it has the factory bose system. There are a couple of ways to do it from what I have read:
  • the RPO code "UQA" is on the label in the glove box
  • it says bose on the headunit or on the display when it powers on
  • you can see speakers underneath the cutouts on top of the dash
Sorry about that. It is a Bose system. I went out and made sure.

·
Registered
846 Posts
$80 Interface adapter - Ebay
$70 Pioneer HU - Crutchfield
$120 Four Infinity Reference Speakers - Crutchfield

That leaves 330 to play with for a sub/amp or higher quality components I have listed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
any particular reason you want to change headunit

IMO pick up a 5channel amp and feed it off the oem headunit (bose headunit has cleanoutputs and can power an amp)
infinity 5350a
~230

get 2 pairs of 6.5 coaxials, polk, infinity, alpine
~150

get wiring
~75

Pick up a cheap 10 or 12 and a box

For 600 its deff doable

Also if you have factory xm even if its not active you can tap that input to add an aux input for ipod or whatever

you dont have to amp the speakers but IMO it wont cost you much more to do it and will yield great results. Plus being a bose system all the wiring is available in the back at the oem bose amp. Also regarding the sub get a small 10" wont take up much space and if need be unplug it and pull it out when you need to haul stuff

·
Registered
846 Posts

IMO pick up a 5channel amp and feed it off the oem headunit (bose headunit has cleanoutputs and can power an amp)
infinity 5350a
~230

~150

get wiring
~75

For 600 its deff doable

Also if you have factory xm even if its not active you can tap that input to add an aux input for ipod or whatever

you dont have to amp the speakers but IMO it wont cost you much more to do it and will yield great results. Plus being a bose system all the wiring is available in the back at the oem bose amp. Also regarding the sub get a small 10" wont take up much space and if need be unplug it and pull it out when you need to haul stuff
Right now Crutchfield is offering an MTX 10 inch sub for 30 bucks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

infinity 5350a
~230

~150

get wiring
~75

For 600 its deff doable

I don't have to change the HU. I've just never owned a vehicle that the HU was worth a ****. If you guys think the HU is ok...I would rather not change it.

Do the door speakers in these vehicles have an amp on each speaker? I know my vette, which has a bose system, does.

I would like to run the new door speakers and the sub off the amp if it's not too much of a pain.

Thanks for the advice,
Mudd

·
Registered
846 Posts
I don't have to change the HU. I've just never owned a vehicle that the HU was worth a ****. If you guys think the HU is ok...I would rather not change it.

Do the door speakers in these vehicles have an amp on each speaker? I know my vette, which has a bose system, does.

I would like to run the new door speakers and the sub off the amp if it's not too much of a pain.

Thanks for the advice,
Mudd
That amp he showed should power everything. It's looks to be exactly what you'd need. And the sub just depends on what you want out of it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts