Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,236 Posts
Part of the fleet I maintain has a new Lincoln MKS with the push button start. It is a ROYAL PITA to work with. You have to have the key fob within a certain distance from the glove box, and at times, inserted into a slot inside the glove box (which means opening the door, reaching over the high console, and inserting the fob, only to do it over again when it is time to leave the car), in order to use that nice little push button.

Give me a simple key -- smart key if need be -- but a key.

Also, no real way to power accessories with a button. I don't even like the Trailblazer setup, where there is no accessory position.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,483 Posts
Also, no real way to power accessories with a button. I don't even like the Trailblazer setup, where there is no accessory position.
There IS an accessory position, it's just not where it was in other cars... Instead of turning the key BACK, as in other cars and older models, it's one click foward from lock.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I know about that position, but does that not also energize the entire PCM, etc.? The old accessory position only energized, well, accessories.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,667 Posts
I've driven a few late model Nissan Altimas with the push-start. Awesome. Took me a minute to figure it out, but it's just a single depression button. Press it once you get ACC power, press it again and it's in the ON position. Do that with the foot on the brake and you start the engine. As for the key fob? You just have it in your pocket or in the cup holder. Pretty cool stuff...

To make a custom one on the TB, I'd imagine you'd need one out of another vehicle. Do the proper wiring. Trick the TB's ingition system to think you've inserted a key. You may even get to bypass the crappy starter switches we have. The hard part would be getting the key fob transmitter/receiver set up.

I have a remote start/alarm/keyless unit in my TB. As cool as the Altima's push-start is, if you want to have a way to just start the TB without cranking, get the RS, start it while you're walking up to the car (gives you a chance to hear anything you may not hear when starting the car on the inside) and then just insert the key.

Trying not to be a naysayer, so if you've got the resources (time and money), go for it, we love to see new "couldn't be done" stuff.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
899 Posts
EUH GUYS !!!!!

IT'S CALLED A SAAB 97-X

and to add a push buton is very easy,m you stil need your key, the TB'S electric system is not crank orientetd but more of electronically started, as said in a previous thread, the key when pushed only slighty to the start position activated the starter for 5 sec, so all of you holding down the start positiion on your keys are doing it for nothing, they implemented that because of our soo quiet engine, they were farid of havnig to replaced tons of starters because people would tend to turn the key to start even after the engine was started

Anyhow, to add a push button it's as simple as just tapping into the key system and those two wires, insert key, turn to on, press on button, weeeeeeeeeee

As i said, the sabb 97-x have this feature already

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
6,568 Posts
Anyhow, to add a push button it's as simple as just tapping into the key system and those two wires, insert key, turn to on, press on button, weeeeeeeeeee

yea but what the OP was talking about (i think) is to not have to use the key at all... unless u plan on leaving the key in the ignition 24/7... it wouldnt be a true push start unless u have a proximity fob to keep security and have just a straight up push start...

·
Registered
899 Posts
yea but what the OP was talking about (i think) is to not have to use the key at all... unless u plan on leaving the key in the ignition 24/7... it wouldnt be a true push start unless u have a proximity fob to keep security and have just a straight up push start...
Ooooh in that case.....i have no clue, all the cars i've used that have push buttons also need the keys in, Vipers, s2000, saab's

my bad

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
6,568 Posts
Ooooh in that case.....i have no clue, all the cars i've used that have push buttons also need the keys in, Vipers, s2000, saab's

my bad
but what u were talking bout mite be a cool little thing... mainly for shows... but more work to start a vehicles then its worth... lol

yea what the OP wants to do is what the newer vehicles have.. mainly seen them in Benz and beemers... all it is, is a radio frequency key fob that can stay in ur pocket.. once ur in range of the vehicle it can automatically unlock ur doors and activates the push start button...

in layman's terms... to much to install 3rd party to make sure everything works perfectly...

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,140 Posts
but what u were talking bout mite be a cool little thing... mainly for shows... but more work to start a vehicles then its worth... lol

yea what the OP wants to do is what the newer vehicles have.. mainly seen them in Benz and beemers... all it is, is a radio frequency key fob that can stay in ur pocket.. once ur in range of the vehicle it can automatically unlock ur doors and activates the push start button...

in layman's terms... to much to install 3rd party to make sure everything works perfectly...
about the beemer thing, i used my mom in-law's '08 335i coupe and it has a push button start/stop too but i need to insert the key fob thing to a hole near the button.

i tried starting it with the key fob out and it won't start :nono:

hmmm.. i noticed that when i'm close to the car, the doors automatically unlock but somehow it wont start without the key fob inserted.:undecided

but then again. it's not my car. maybe i'm doing something wrong.:duh:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
There are two levels of key fob. One for the primary driver that is higher powered, and one for co-drivers, valet, etc., which requires the fob to be phyiscally inserted into the correct spot in the vehicle.

As I said above, it is the biggest PITA that I've ever used. Oh, the button is nice, clean, and simple -- it is screwing around with putting the fob in the glove box (or wherever it needs to get put) that is the problem. Its all for show, and once the battery goes dead in the fob, no drive...

I'll stick with a key, thank you very much. (And not, I'm not against TB owners trying to make this work -- if that is what turns you on, go for it -- I've just used the system and found that it is more gimmick than necessity.)

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
43 Posts
EUH GUYS !!!!!

IT'S CALLED A SAAB 97-X

and to add a push buton is very easy,m you stil need your key, the TB'S electric system is not crank orientetd but more of electronically started, as said in a previous thread, the key when pushed only slighty to the start position activated the starter for 5 sec, so all of you holding down the start positiion on your keys are doing it for nothing, they implemented that because of our soo quiet engine, they were farid of havnig to replaced tons of starters because people would tend to turn the key to start even after the engine was started

that isnt always true my 2002 envoy doesnt do this it stops starting if u let go...

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,369 Posts
I'm pretty sure the feature wasn't on the earlier model trailvoys, but I gotta say it is pretty nice (though I haven't ground a starter since my permit days...)

As for ADDING a push to start button, it's more effort than it's worth in my opinion. With the prox fobs and all you might as well just use your key.

·
Registered
899 Posts
i have an 03 tb ls and it starts by itself if i just hit the starter and same with my gf's 02 slt envoy
with a hammer or just your regular crow bar ?

sorry man i just could'nt resist

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anyone try to add a push button start to our voys and trails. Its a good idea. think about, GM have not. We could change all that, Holla back
YEs and it works great , in a 02 trailblazer ls. Between the steering wheel on the radio , the button went. You have to bypass the security system , by cutting the small yellow wire coming from the key ignition, the one with three wires. Yellow, Orange black , red white. Cut the yellow tape off the end going to the key. Attach The 2.2k resistor To the yellow and the other end to the Orange black , do not cut the orange black. Just shave It and attach the wires together. Then do the process , 10 min three times. Look it up.

·
Registered
2002 Envoy SLT
22 Posts
I could start my old Bonneville with a key and while its running just take the key out... :yes::eek:
My 2002 envoy does that too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 38 of 38 Posts