Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would a guy go about transforming a 2WD LS TB Into a 4WD TB.
Is it doable? Am I Insane for posting this?

When TB's are Mfg. by specific Model/Make/trim, meaning 2wd or 4wd. Does GM Delete certain things by design???Which would maybe make it impossible to attack a project like this....Please help, for this is a project I would be willing to due over time from salvage parts etc.

Thanks Ahead for your opinions, facts etc..:thx

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
3,230 Posts
That would be a MAJOR project, But you would have
a one of a kind for sure!!
Just think..you could put whatever drive system in you want.
some Dana 44 axles would be a start:excited:

I built a 4x4 elcamino years ago, that was pretty Kewl

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Mark..
I was just kicking around the Idea..You know how us guys r..

Would you go Custom one off yourself personally...or Would you stay
with the GM Set-up with a Dash -of - AlekG Front end Upgrade...?:undecided

With the current value of these trucks you would think you could add components and pieces if done over time...I will start looking into prices

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
3,230 Posts
Thanks Mark..
I was just kicking around the Idea..You know how us guys r..

Would you go Custom one off yourself personally...or Would you stay
with the GM Set-up with a Dash -of - AlekG Front end Upgrade...?:undecided

With the current value of these trucks you would think you could add components and pieces if done over time...I will start looking into prices
If Time/Money were no object..
i personaly would save the frame and body of the TB and
scrap the rest of the wimpy crap we have under there!!!
Find a 6.6L Dmax Motor,Drive train and suspension and start
swaping/adapting parts..
Been there done that, no big deal to me.

Thats what i would do...You asked!

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
497 Posts
I agree with basically everyone in this thread. It is a waste of time and money to try to swap OEM 4x4 equip. into a 2WD TrailBlazer.

If you want 4x4 for as little $$ as possible, trade your 2WD in on a 4x4...

If you actually want to modify yours, then you might as well go SAS or to a custom 4x4 setup.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,629 Posts
When TB's are Mfg. by specific Model/Make/trim, meaning 2wd or 4wd. Does GM Delete certain things by design???Which would maybe make it impossible to attack a project like this....Please help, for this is a project I would be willing to due over time from salvage parts etc.
Sure there are parts that are deleted, but in theory nothing should stop you from swapping out the necessary parts.

Working from the engine out, you'd need:

trans/TC adapter
transfer case
TC control module, switch
rear prop shaft
front prop shaft
front differential
left side halfshaft
front drive actuator
right side halfshaft
pcm reprogrammed?

In theory, that's it. You may run into some complications installing it all, especially installing the front diff.

I think due to some of the complications, it would certainly be cheaper to swap out for OEM parts than to try an SAS. A solid steering axle can cost a good bit (depending what you use) and figuring out the suspension components, steering linkage, prop shafts, and lifting the rear to match would add into a substantial cost.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
would need a new oil pan, as well, no?
Nope. The oil pans are the same in 2wd and 4wd. Since the oil pan hole has a sealed cylinder through the pan, it doesn't require the intermediate shaft to seal the pan. So to reduce parts and cost, they used the same pan for both.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
You would also need the intermediate shaft that goes through the oil pan, plus the splined disconnect mechanism that the actuator pushes on.

Oddly enough, you don't need a new oil pan, since the 2WD uses the same part number, and it has a tube cast into the pan so it's not open at either end. The observant 2WD owners are probably saying WTF when they see that.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
You would also need the intermediate shaft that goes through the oil pan, plus the splined disconnect mechanism that the actuator pushes on.
I was including the intermediate shaft in the front diff sub assembly and the splined disconnect in the front drive actuator SA. True, they may be sold separately. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys for the informat:yes:ion....That was a true reality check!

I will stick with driving what it is that I have and keep it easy....

That turns out to be a very lengthy and Expensive overhaul project...

I AGREE..I'D be better off tradeing in for 4wd for much less the price.:p

Thanks guys again for reality check..:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.