Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I have been looking at this one 2005 Envoy XL. Seems like its in pretty good shape, some minor marks on the side from a dirt road but what has us concerned is the accident report we pulled from carproof (just like carfax but better) It looks like its been in 3 accidents, one a minor one on the back end, another minor one on the driver side front light and a HUGE one on the passenger side. The amount alone for the big one was almost $7000 in damage.

Now I'm thinking maybe the previous owner has bad luck like I do when it comes to accidents, but its still throwing up red flags. Its only had the one owner, local truck, and in the test drive it seemed to drive straight and true. No whinning noises and no air flow into the truck from that passenger side.

From a tech point of view, what should be really be looking at? My husband really knows his way around a vehicle but I'm still worried. If he had more of an idea of what could go wrong or what signs would show a bent frame I think I would feel better...or should we just take our money and run? Its priced out prett good, its got 147kms on it and the price is $13,000cnd.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
303 Posts
I'm not really sure what to look for from a tech point of view, but I'd ask them if it's been in any accidents. If they say "no," I think I would then be a bit weary of the seller. If they're honest, then go from there.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
997 Posts
Coupla things to keep in mind.

$7000 is NOT a lot of work these days. A good crunch into the door, and $7000 barely covers new door skins, rocker panels, paint and alignment. If there was frame damage, it would have been a LOT more.

The quality of the vehicle after majour body work like this is HIGHLY dependent on the shop that did the work. If I were you, I would try to find out the name of the body shop. There are a few Manitoba members here who can offer advice if we knew who did the work. There are places like McNaught who do good quality work and restore it to as good as possible, and there are other big-chain-type places that I wouldn't take my nephew's little red wagon to get fixed.

I think it would be worth your while to pay a few bucks to have a good mechanic look it over.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats what I was thinking too that even on my Pathfinder a small little crack in the bumper was over $1000 in repairs.

We know that the truck was obtained through a lease return from the GM dealer out in Portage (a small city about an hour outside of Winnipeg) and there was just the one owner so I'm guessing the work was done either at the GM dealership out there or somewhere else out there. I've never been there so don't know any shops out there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts