Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to forum first hello to everyone. My 2002 envoy a/c blows hot air is that a do it yourself fix or least check list or a job for the shop I am pretty handy if i know how and what to do

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
815 Posts
New to forum first hello to everyone. My 2002 envoy a/c blows hot air is that a do it yourself fix or least check list or a job for the shop I am pretty handy if i know how and what to do

Welcome to Trailvoy.com... there is no turning back, lol... in order to help you out a bit more in detail, you need to provide a lot more info, such as is the problem intermittent or constant, no cold air at all no matter how long it has been on... do you have other symptoms occurring ... also it is helpful if you fill in your Envoy information... you can do that by going to user cp, just above to your left...

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
problems

Thanks I have added the information. The problem is constant it blows warm air all the time. I have no other problems with the heat or anything else. It runs as normal but it just started blowing hot air. I had a routine check on it they said they saw nothing wrong with the a/c system but they would have to do a more test costing about 250 that was the dealer. I was trying to see if it was something I could do first.

·
Registered
2004 trailblazer_lt
5,240 Posts
Try to find a reputable independant repair shop and have them look at it. $250.00 seems unreasonable for a check out fee. Is the compressor turning when the a/c is on? Do you know if it has a full charge of freon?

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the compressor is working I am not sure if it is fully charged or not. should i check that first before getting it checked at shop

·
Registered
2004 trailblazer_lt
5,240 Posts
If the compressor is not cycling, that is to say it turns constantly while the a/c is on, but not cooling, I would guess you have a blockage. This is usually a sign that something internal is coming apart. Not a good sign, usually the compressor itself. As I said earlier, take it to a shop you trust and have them diagnosis it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I used to own a 2000 GTP, had hot air blowing out of one side only. lol. Turned out to be the motorized valve under the dash that controlled the passenger side (dual climate controller). Not that you would have the same issue but that was what mine was. After I replaced the motorized valve she worked fine again. :undecided

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well mine was pretty easy, 4 screws and a quick 5pin connector.

Although I should restate that this module controlled the 'passenger' side only. I had absolutely 'no' control of the temperature on that side. It simply opens the valve from hot to cold and vise versa. I'm thinking if you have full control of temperature with the exception of a/c, it may be something else.

Most times trucks are easy enough to pull apart anyways, just dont want ya replacing something you may not need to! :) :duh:
Mine was easy enough to check, I pulled off the module, hooked the pin connector back on and adjusted the temp... it didnt move... so it was no good. Checked the new one, it moved as I adjusted, so that verified it was the issue.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
365 Posts
the compressor is working I am not sure if it is fully charged or not. should i check that first before getting it checked at shop
Start your truck and turn on the A/C. Let the compressor run for a few minutes. In the upper left-hand corner, (facing the grill) to the right of the Coolant Reservoir, is the Accumulator. Feel the top of it- if the compressor and lines are working correctly, the Accumulator should be MUCH colder than the surrounding air. If it is about the same temperature, you have a blockage in one of the lines, the system is over-charged with refrigerant, or the Condensor (large coil in front of the Radiator) is not getting enough air-flow.

If it is cooler to the touch, then you have a problem with the HVAC control system. If this is the case, turn the HVAC off, (press the off button) turn off the ignition, and disconnect the battery for at least 30 mins. Reconnect the battery and start the truck. DO NOT touch the HVAC controls for at least 5 mins. to allow the actuators to reset themselves.

Also, does the EXT temperature display appear to be accurate?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a similar problem with my 2002 TB with climate control. It started blowing hot-only out of the driver's side vents. I took it to a Chevy dealer for diagnosis and they said the driver's side temp actuator had failed. They also quoted me $700+ to replace it because they would have to remove the dash. I took it home, drove it around for some time with the driver's side vents closed. But this week I got under the dash and took out the failed part. It took me a grand total of 30 minutes to remove two under-dash panels and a metal frame that goes under the steering wheel. The screws holding the actuator onto the center console were tricky to get at, but that maybe took 1/2 of the 30 minutes to get the part out. The actuator hooks up to a door in the console and I confirmed by moving the door that (1) the door was working; and (2) the door controlled temperature on the driver's side. I have the new part on order ($100 including shipping from gmpartsdirect) and hope to get it in next week. If it works, I saved ~$600 by doing the work myself. I'll give an update when its installed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got the part installed last night and it now works fine. It takes some work to get the actuator back into place. I had to move the knob on the console that controls the door so that it matched up with the hole in the new actuator. Not much room for fingers back there. Once I finally got that done, it was pretty easy -- install the screws that hold the actuator onto the console, plug in the actuator, put the HVAC fuse back in, and start the vehicle to make sure it works. Everything worked fine, so I reinstalled the metal under-steering column hoop, and the underdash panels and I'm good to go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having a similar problem in that my A/C won't blow out any cold air. I'm hoping there is nothing wrong with compressor. Would a simple freon change help? It was to my understanding that freon usually doesn't need to be changed for like 20 years!

It's a 2002 Trailblazer BTW.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did some reading on the site and it seems I may have found the problem....

TSB #03-01-39-007 issued 05/29/2003 "Air Conditioning (A/C) Inoperative/Intermittent, A/C Blows Warm Air - Replace A/C Low Pressure Cycling Switch

Is this something the dealer will cover no questions asked since it's a TSB, or should I look into doing it myself?

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
I did some reading on the site and it seems I may have found the problem....

TSB #03-01-39-007 issued 05/29/2003 "Air Conditioning (A/C) Inoperative/Intermittent, A/C Blows Warm Air - Replace A/C Low Pressure Cycling Switch

Is this something the dealer will cover no questions asked since it's a TSB, or should I look into doing it myself?
Unless you have a warranty from the dealer or some other warranty company, they are not going to cover this. A TSB is a technical service bulletin, not a recall notice. Recalls are free, TSBs are not.

It's a cheap easy part to replace. I think the part itself is under 30.00 and it takes about 5 minutes to replace it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Unless you have a warranty from the dealer or some other warranty company, they are not going to cover this. A TSB is a technical service bulletin, not a recall notice. Recalls are free, TSBs are not.

It's a cheap easy part to replace. I think the part itself is under 30.00 and it takes about 5 minutes to replace it.
Thanks for the help. Is there an DIY on how to change it? I'm relatively a noob when it comes to working on cars so any general info on what the part is and how to change it would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just to follow up I finally replaced this cycling switch (thx for the DIY hatchet) and it worked like a charm. I was the guy who had problems with cold air coming out of my vents, being that there wasn't any. It took 4 minutes to change out the part and presto, cold air. Hope this helps out the next person with this problem.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts