Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
35 Posts
When are you going to realise a Trailblazer is a lemon POS and you need to just quit spending money on it and ride it until it dies. Dont sell it to some poor sucker like me. Ride it til its dies and quit spending your time money and grief on these god awful suvs
I don't know about you, but my TrailBlazer has been one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. 2000 TB LS with over 250,000 miles on it. I just recently had my AC compressor and dehydrator replaced.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
39 Posts
God awful SUVs are traditionally caused by God awful maintenance...but that's for another post. Some poor sucker would be amazingly fortunate for me to sell them my "lemon pos".

Good luck with the A/C, Emochukov.

(No, it's not for sale!)

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
53 Posts
When I use the AC for more than 1.5 - 2 hours it starts to blow warm air. It is ice cold before that. When I pull over there is a lot of water leaking from the evaporator drain. Any ideas?
check the overheat thermostat in compressor,.
Search the forum
requires a compressor change

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
check the overheat thermostat in compressor,.
Search the forum
requires a compressor change
I'm not educated to the possibility of an "overheat thermostat" on the back of these compressors.

I think they are LOW OIL sensors. I could be wrong, but an "overheat thermostat" isn't used much after (Hmmm - about) 1999 or so .... besides, they would be a 'thermal sensor', not a thermostat.

I think IF it was an overheat thermostat --- that would be a poor place to put it.

Still 'n all - I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS
44 Posts
I have the same 2006LS 4.2L and on a run from Florida to Tennessee on a warm, humid night, my condenser would freeze every few hours with 5 adults and a baby inside. I would turn off the AC, and wait a few minutes until the ice stopped flying out into my face (!) and turn back on for a couple more hours. Was only a few ounces low, but the combination of temp and humidity was enough.

At that point, the TB was 12 years old and the system had never been touched. Added about two ounces and had no more issues.

Last year, even though I have had no further issues, spent the money to evacuate and refill the factory amount - preventative maintenance.

All this to say: before shooting the parts cannon, begin with a simple evac/refill and go from there.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
3 Posts
I had similar problem. What I found was the Orifice Tube was blocked. $5 part and a recharge worked good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
When are you going to realise a Trailblazer is a lemon POS and you need to just quit spending money on it and ride it until it dies. Dont sell it to some poor sucker like me. Ride it til its dies and quit spending your time money and grief on these god awful suvs
Amen! I got my 2004 Envoy given to me so doing repairs hasn't been too painful. And there are plenty in the junkyard to get parts from...I wonder why???

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
5 Posts
When I use the AC for more than 1.5 - 2 hours it starts to blow warm air. It is ice cold before that. When I pull over there is a lot of water leaking from the evaporator drain. Any ideas?
Assuming that your refrigerate levels/pressures are within acceptable range - good cooling for first 1 1/2 hrs is good evidence.
Next time it quits, pull over and look with a bright flashlight to determine if clutch is engaged.
Our 04 Envoy was doing something similar. Determined that the plugs for the 12v and grnd to the clutch on top of the compressor - had a little green crusties on the 12v - even though the rest of this Texas only vehicle had no other electrical corrosion.
Cleaned that up and got about 3-4 wks out of it, before the problem started again. Finally reluctant to mention it spouse started complaining about the intermittent operation, and shortly after the engine started a most alarming noise when cold.
Thinking the worst and thoroughly checking out the engine, I disc'd the serpentine belt and life was good again.

Net - AC clutch bearing. Upon removal from vehicle, clutch was very worn to say the least. As you will find, this style compressor requires a clutch that isn't designed serviceable, made by only 1 aftermarket source - which was $50 within cost of new ACDelco compressor. Having 135K miles on it at the time, took the opportunity to replace the comp, high pressure hose assembly, orifice tube, & accumulator. Then life was good again with reliable A/C.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Aha! One really exists.

They were used on a few GMs 'way long ago, but dropped because they were redundant to the HP Switch on the discharge line, after the compressor, in an effort to save money but I always thought it was a better-serviceability design.

Silly me ... making things easier for the mechanic has never been a GM design trait. What was I thinking?

I DO know that at that same time ... shortly after really ... GM optioned for another "failure switch" on the compressor as a LOW OIL sensor. We never knew which it was because the plugs had the same profile and would fit interchangeably.

Either failure will shut the compressor off... so it achieved the same singularity.

There was a time when a reluctor-coil system was used to check the RPM of the compressor .. aka: ABS hub sensors ... but on the compressor clutch ring.

THAT was always interesting to diagnose .. did the pickup coil fail? We had no OBD2 ports to ask the ECM about it.

'Cause there was no ECM.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle
1 Posts
I had the same problem, it was the pressure cycling switch GM p/n 89040362. Very easy to change on the accumulater, no refrigerate loss.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts