Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

AC control issues

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  volmanut 
#1 ·
okay went to bed last night, ac worked fine. Woke up this morning, disconnected my battery, installed a wiring harness and module to my factory radio for my ipod. Install was easy, no issues. After putting everything back together, reconnected battery and went on a drive. Noticed that my AC does not blow out of the face vents now. The AC works, so does the fan, and when I switch the control to the floor, defrost, air comes out as it should. I took the dash apart again and saw that everything was in order, still can't get the AC to blow out of the face vents. Any ideas? Did I short something out that fried the control for the AC?

Thanks for your help in advance!

#3 ·
Thanks Ryan, that makes me feel a little better. I have been reading and everyone that has had the same problem says they had to replace some HVAC mode actuator, which seems crazy since it worked before I disconnected the battery. If you can't disconnect a battery on this car without some part going bad then this is an issue. How much did the dealer charge you to have this reset? I guess I will call them Monday AM, just real annoying :hissy:

#4 ·
do a little more searching on here.. I think you should be able to pull the fuse for the AC system and when you reinsert the fuse-- the system does some sort of recalibration of the doors (youll hear little motors) to learn their position.
then it should work. (if not then follow the other comments)

#6 ·
Tried all the resets and tricks that everyone has suggested, no luck! Thanks for the help though, I am sitting at the Dealer as I type waiting to hear back about what the cause is. The service tech thinks I need to have my computer reset and reloaded. $100 at best. Just for disconnecting a battery. I feel like I own a Land Rover:crazy:

#8 ·
Ok here we go....So after sitting at the dealer for 30 min yesterday the service manager comes to me and says we have an issue. Apparently the Mode Door Actuator was jammed up or fried and was not responding to the resets. So he states that they have the part, its $75, and it will take 3 hours to install it @ $100/hr. I proceed to raise hell. If I can't disconnect my battery for 15 min without this issue this MUST be a GM problem. Well, I came armed. I pull out my laptop and show the service manager the service bulletin I have a link to at the bottom of this page. The bulletin is specific to this common problem and states how there is a new tool the service tech can use to fix the actuator in .06 hours as oppose to 3. About this time the service tech comes out and hears me speaking of this and proceeds to help by looking for that special tool. Meanwhile the service manager is HIGHLY embarrassed that I called their bluff. He has nothing to do with me at this point. :D So after the special tool is found by the tech, they change the story to its going to take .06 hours to complete but I have to be billed for 1 because .06 is the "warranty bill rate" and the cost of the part. Being that I have no time to do this myself, I agree to it. So we went from $375 to $175 in no time, because I was armed!

Oh and I demanded a rental since this little situation went on until 6:30pm. No charge for that, its the least they could do!:weird:

ARM YOURSELF WITH THIS ARTICLE:

http://forums.trailvoy.com/archive/index.php/t-10926.html

#12 ·
tool for mode actuator

Ray you do need tool for years after 2002. I have a 2004 and needed tool. it is to remove plastic gear from old actuator. I used my vise with care and pushed gear into new actuator. you have to do this because actuator is splined to retain shaft on plastic gear and is a press fit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.