Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Saab 9-7x 4.2i
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had my Saab 9-7x for about 5 months now, and now that we’re approaching summer, I can’t get my AC to work. The system is charged and the compressor is working, but the clutch will only engage once the engine turns on, and then will disengage after a few seconds. Does anyone know what’s causing this? Thanks!

·
Registered
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
291 Posts
Possible rust on the disc . That may have caused too much clearance to the electromagnets .
Check the clearance between the disc and the electromagnets . I believe that should be .013" - .032" .
If it's toward the outer limit , pull the front of the clutch off ( held by a single center bolt ) and clean the face of the disc as best you can .
It should be fairly smooth . While the disc is off check for shims on the shaft to allow a tighter clearance and better performance .
Note that it's pretty tight working , but , I did the job with no special tools .

My clutch clearance was .032" and would sometimes catch , but mostly not .
I pulled and cleaned the disc and removed a shim to bring the clearance down to the lower limit : .013" .
The AC hasn't skipped a beat since .

·
Registered
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
291 Posts
Don't worry about rust if it engages at all, just reduce the clearance.
That^ is ridiculous . If there's rust , remove it if possible as it will only get worse . That means it will thicken and what do you know , that's exactly what you want to avoid .

·
Registered
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
291 Posts
That ^ is ridiculous. If it engages, there won't be any substantial rust on the pulley face or the hub.
That's not at all what I found on our clutch . there was plenty of rust and it would only engage occasionally .
Like anything else , get rid of the rust .
What you're saying is tantamount to : if there is corrosion on an electrical connection and it still conducts once in a while , leave it dirty . What kind of logic is that ?
How lazy can you get ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Really??? This is a clearance problem, not an electrical problem. Where I work we reset the air gap on A/C compressors all the time, whereas other shops will replace them, costing the customer way more. Get real... Rust is not the issue.

·
Registered
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
291 Posts
At least with replacement the unit might have a much longer work life than doing a partial job .
Pay for what you get .

I never said it was electrical or that rust was the issue .
I said : If rust is there get rid of it , if possible .

Why not do as much as possible to avoid having to do a job twice ?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
137 Posts
If the A/C compressor clutch engages reliably, the friction of partial engagement will clean the rust without having to diick with it. The natural rusting--and removal of that rust--probably accounts for the growth in the clutch gap.

If an A/C compressor engaged, then disengaged soon after...I'd be expecting a low refrigerant charge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts