Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed with all the warm weather this summer that it seems my AC is always running. Even if I press the AC button and the light goes off I still get cold enough air out the vents to lead me to believe that the AC compressor is still running. Has anyone seem this problem before? Is there an easy way to test if my compressor is shutting off when I expect it to?

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
21 Posts
Just a couple things to check. If system is in AUTO mode and the knobs that adjust the passenger and driver temps are cranked way down (assuming you have a climate control system), the A/C will be on. Set the knobs to above ambient temp and see what happens. Just a guess, but I note that mine runs in summer months when outside temp gets in 80's if the inside temp selectors are at the winter temperature selection of say 70-75.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3,250 Posts
Just a couple things to check. If system is in AUTO mode and the knobs that adjust the passenger and driver temps are cranked way down (assuming you have a climate control system), the A/C will be on. Set the knobs to above ambient temp and see what happens. Just a guess, but I note that mine runs in summer months when outside temp gets in 80's if the inside temp selectors are at the winter temperature selection of say 70-75.
Have never seen this.

If the A/C button is turned off, even with the temp control set low, the compressor should go off. Only way that it will stay on is if the recirculate button is pushed.

If the recirculate button and A/C button are both off and the compressor is still running, there is another problem.

Only sure way to tell is to open the hood and look to see if compressor is turning.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. I should have mentioned that my TB is a 2005 LX with the standard temp control console which means that I don't have an AUTO setting. I've just got the two analog temperature sliders for driver/passenger, a fan speed control dial and two buttons that control fresh/recirc air and AC on/off.

fechnerj, I'm noticing this behavior with the recirc button on so I guess there's a chance you're right. I always though that the recirc button simply controlled a damper that determined if the air in the system came from outside the car or within the car. Why would it override the AC control?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Because it keeps the air dry so you don't have a fogging issue on the inside of the car windows. At least that is my understanding.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought that was more of a concern when allowing outside air into the car. Remember, my TB just has the "dummy" controls for HVAC. Can anyone else confirm if the AC will be on when I have recirc on even if I've manually turned the AC off?

If so, it sounds like the only way to have the AC off with the recirc vents closed is to just turn the fan off? Does the fan being off override the AC?

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3,250 Posts
When the recirculate button is pushed (even if the A/C is off), it automatically turns the A/C on to keep the air dry, as per Ray's post above.

If you want the A/C off, recirculate and A/C button have to be "off".

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
39 Posts
after messing with my ac for the last 3 weeks, learned a little bit....

first thing.. turn off the fan, make sure recirc and ac is off... look at compressor, is the clutch turning?

if it is.. i would check the relay, it could be stuck. pull the relay, does the clutch now turn off?

check those two.. very easy to check and we can try to go from there.

·
Registered
171 Posts
After going outside last nite and watching it very carefully I noticed that it was working as its supposed to. However I did notice that the drain tube was at an pward angle and causing the s/c not to drain. I am going to get a long piece of plastic tubing and route it down alongside the frame. That should help with my freezing problem.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Mine too had that weird upward angle when i got it. I was able to get it pushed back on like it should be and never had another issue with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can the AC compressor be disengaged if I put the manual sliders to between cool and hot (not digital system)? I am trying to save on fuel and cool the cabin, then recirc the air WITHOUT the AC kicking in. Is there a way to accomplish this without bringing in outside air? I have a 2004 Envoy XL. I6. Thank you

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
17 Posts
Can the AC compressor be disengaged if I put the manual sliders to between cool and hot (not digital system)? I am trying to save on fuel and cool the cabin, then recirc the air WITHOUT the AC kicking in. Is there a way to accomplish this without bringing in outside air? I have a 2004 Envoy XL. I6. Thank you

I've found on mine (2002 w/analog) the recirc button is like the 'low cool' setting for the A/C. Pressing the snowflake button beside it, puts the system in what other cars would be labeled as 'max. cool'. As well, running the low 'recirc' setting has definitely (in my calculation) saved me a little gas on the highway. Doesn't do so well in town but that's most likely because of red lights and jackassess. Maybe my size 19 boot too. XD

Anyway, the only cool air you'll get through those vents in recirc is from the compressor running. Setting the sliders midway only allows more mixing of the engine heat in the cool air being generated by the compressor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It’s weird you can’t have recirc on without using the AC compressor. I tried to move the temp sliders closer to hot to see if it would even it out. It didn’t. It’s like it has 2 AC buttons.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Saw this in a ‘02 Silverado. Guess it’s just new GM thing. Says “Max A/C”. That way people don’t wonder why the AC is on when Recirc is on

1 - 15 of 15 Posts