Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, just to bring everybody up to speed here let me tell you what I've already done and the story to this point.

A little over six months ago, I replaced both wheel bearings (the whole hub assy) on both sides of my truck because they were going bad and I started to have ABS problems. Ordered a set of LIFETIME WARRANTY replacements from Auto Parts Driect To You. I figured that warranty and the cost (under $200 for both opposed to $418 apiece from the stealer) would be worth it. Worked great for about two months then the ABS lamp came back on with no reason. Code came back to driver's side speed sensor and I couldn't find just a sensor but I replaced the hub again and it seemed to work. First drive and EVERY STOP below 5mph would cause the brakes to pulse like I was stopping on ice. I called and complained and told the guy to look at the sensor which looks like crap on them, and he noticed the same thing on the parts he had in stock. Shipped me one from a different supplier and enclosed a priority tag and a return UPS tag so I could send the parts back in. I installed the one that arrived and it was fine for about a month. Try to stop and ABS engaged and then the lamp turned on. Shuts off every time I restart the truck and move about 10 yards but not very reliable. They won't send me any more junk because the UPS store had a problem with the shipping tag that the company PROVIDED ME to return their product and UPS has kept the part until they figure out who is suppose to get them their shipping money. Nobody is allowed to talk to me about it now and I am also out a $100 deposit for this junk. My soloution for now was to unplug the sensor so I have no ABS, but I'm not going to rearend anyone either. I don't have a ton of money to spend right now and I have a family to haul with this truck so I am pretty irate about the whole thing. Anyway, I was wondering if I should just consider myself out all my money (but the bearings are still good), try something else aftermarket, or just save a lot of money and get the GM replacements which should be shop warranted.

For the record I do have a hayne's book so I didn't overtighten anything. Hub installation wasn't too bad even thouigh I have 4wd. I am an expert in the process by this point and can have one side apart and back together in about a half hour. I don't remember what the labor rate was going to be for the shop to do it but if anyone has any comments or advice, feel free to leave it here. Thanks to all...:thx

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,285 Posts
I bought my wheel bearing/hub assembly from "Auto parts direct" 2 years ago, they are a seller on ebay as well.

Wheel bearing lasted 20,000 miles :mad: :mad:

Called them on their lifetime warranty - no problem, they say! You just have to buy another hub assembly at $160 and once they get the old bearing back they will refund your money.

I just decided to grab my ankles on this one.... Im not dishing out another $160 and waiting for them to decide when I get the money back, after going through the hassle of packaging and shipping up the POS wheel bearing they sent me 2 years ago. Any other place would send you a wheel bearing in good faith and let you return the part without paying again. Their warranty process sucks, IMO.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey roadie, no I did not keep the first set of sensors as at first I thought they were integrated. Upon inspection of the last set, I don't think it matters much because on the inside of the hub where the sensor sits, looks like crap. I can't imagine it makes a good connection at all and looks corroded. I haven't removed the sensor on the hub installed on it now but I am sure to see more of the same. Tell me, do you think it would be worth it to spray some contact cleaner in there? I can't imagine I would hurt it more but if I ever did get this warranty thing working again, I think I would be hurting myself doing that.

Envoy, I agree with you on the whole warranty service. If something like that fails (more true within a 3 month period) then I would think that they should just send me a new part no questions asked. I have put about 10,000 miles or so between three sets of hubs on this thing since I swapped everything out the first time. I am also not happy with my ABS preformance with them when it was working. I know the details of these systems, but someone may be able to explain to me why I feel like I can stop her faster than the computer can. The old punp it method worked better for me last winter with the ABS lamp on than the hold it down when the ABS worked. I don't know. Maybe I should drive to Florida and have a nice conversation with someone down there. BTW, does anyone on here have bail money?:bonk::laugh:

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,285 Posts
. Maybe I should drive to Florida and have a nice conversation with someone down there. BTW, does anyone on here have bail money?:bonk::laugh:
:laugh::laugh:

Keep that passenger seat cleaned, Im coming with ya!

Oh wait... I cant afford to go now (or bail either of us out) .. cost of replacing the defective "lifetime warranty" wheel bearings is killing me :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.