Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone been having a problem with the ABS and the Parking light coming on upon start up. Also comes on every once in a while while driving but has a bell associated with it.
Dealer first said bad ground...now says moisture. Mine has come on over 45 times since October during random times. Ive been told by a chevy buddy that its something bad in the ABS.
Anyone have any Ideas?:suicide:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
3,219 Posts
check your brake fluid. Could also be a brake problem. I would take it to a local shop to take a look at your brakes.(they should check it out for free) Do you use your parking brake?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes They both come one while driving, but it has only happened like 3 times. When it does that it comes with a short alarm. Most of the time both the lights stay on during start up of the trailblazer. :confused:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ABS/Parking Break Light

deathbynosleep said:
check your brake fluid. Could also be a brake problem. I would take it to a local shop to take a look at your brakes.(they should check it out for free) Do you use your parking brake?

No I dont use the parking break. Ive checked it a few times to make sure I didnt get it caught on something and activate it.

I read in the owners manual that if those lights come on that there is something wrong with the brake system...but the dealer doesnt seem to find any thing wrong with it. While driving it I have no problems...but it does seem that when the lights (ABS/Parking: at the same time) are on...the ABS doesnt kick in when stopping quickly....had to check the hard way.:duh:

·
Registered
2007 gmc
11,894 Posts
Medic101 said:
No I dont use the parking break. Ive checked it a few times to make sure I didnt get it caught on something and activate it.

I read in the owners manual that if those lights come on that there is something wrong with the brake system...but the dealer doesnt seem to find any thing wrong with it. While driving it I have no problems...but it does seem that when the lights (ABS/Parking: at the same time) are on...the ABS doesnt kick in when stopping quickly....had to check the hard way.:duh:
did you hit yoru head??? :rotfl: sorry had to. Sounds like a bad sensor to me. Where do you live? If you have been driving on some salty roads the connections may have gotten a little dirty.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
3,219 Posts
Medic101 said:

Not sure of your problem...but i would learn to put the parking brake on everytime you park the car...it'll make your brakes last longer(at least that's what i taught when i was younger) It relieves some stress from the front brakes. Do some searches on google...i'm sure someone will agree with me.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Yep, check the level in the brake fluid reservoir. There is a low level float switch in there. I've seen moisture in the connector cause your concern, or just low level due to warn pads trigger the light. You will see the brake fluid level go way down when the pads are shot (caliper pistons WAAAY out to compensate).

G/luck
Joel

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well...after some long months of head ache with these damn lights coming on, it will hopefully come to an end soon. Washed my TB the other day, had to pick up some equipment from hospital...Went to leave...damn lights were on..luckily the local dealer/service department was still open. To make a long story short..hooked it up to computer and the code machine was not able to communicate with the ABS module...so...back in on 28th to get it replaced. SO if anyone is having same problem...might want to have them check this. Hopefully this will fix the annoyance that ive delt with for the past 8 months.

:)

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
94 Posts
Puting the parking break on while parked will help protect the transmission. The transmission keeps the car from moving while in park, not the breaks. :D

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,355 Posts
:mad: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD:

B-R-A-K-E not BREAK. :duh: :laugh: :duh:

BRAKE:
n.
1. A device for slowing or stopping motion, as of a vehicle, especially by contact friction.
2. Something that slows or stops action.

BREAK:
v. broke, (brk) bro·ken, (brkn) break·ing, breaks
v. tr.
1. To cause to separate into pieces suddenly or violently; smash.
2. To divide into pieces, as by bending or cutting: break crackers for a baby.

I could only handle it for so long. Also, keep in mind, if you spell it wrong in the title, it makes it much more difficult to find in a search! :rotfl:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay everyone...thanks for the english lesson. I admit Im not the greatest speller, but I appreciate the criticism and the help. Any way, hopefully the brake/abs warning lights will finally be gone Tuesday.

:hissy:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, took it to dealer/service rep tuesday. Replaced the ABS control module, Got it back within 2 hours. I got it home, then went to leave again...the @#$%ing lights were on again:hissy: . Took it back to the dealer....the light shut off half way there...(talk about frustrating), and again couldnt find anything wrong with it. The lights havent come back on since, so I hope it was just a fluke...some how i doubt it.

:crazy:

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
That's funny this topic came up, my voy has been at the dealer going on 3 days for the same thing. I haven't heard anything from the dealer yet. But, yes I am having the same problem. My is a 05SLT, brakes felt like the rotors were bad, the light comes on, and it feels like the car wants to stall. All in the same motion.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Just got off the phone with my service rep. I didn't know it takes this long to properly diagnos the ABS system. He said it should be finished this evening or by tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Well guys got the voy back last night. The dealer flushed my brake fluids and refilled. They also tested the ABS system to see if all was well. So far so good. Hope it's fixed permanant.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Medic101 said:
Well, took it to dealer/service rep tuesday. Replaced the ABS control module, Got it back within 2 hours. I got it home, then went to leave again...the @#$%ing lights were on again:hissy: . Took it back to the dealer....the light shut off half way there...(talk about frustrating), and again couldnt find anything wrong with it. The lights havent come back on since, so I hope it was just a fluke...some how i doubt it.

:crazy:
As I expected wasnt a fluke...lights came on again...and again..:suicide:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5 Posts
So did anyone figure out what caused this. I was just driving home and it is -14 (No not with windchill) and after stopping at the video store I came out to my TB started it up and got both lights on at same time with the chime. Not sure if it has anything to do with the cold or not.

Also I hooked up my ODB reader to it and there are no codes not even pending if that helps.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,401 Posts
I've had the same problem, but not the parking brake light.
My ABS light will remain on when I start it (only sometimes) then I've got the lovely bell that I get to listen to. I'll back out of my driveway and start driving and the light goes off. It's weird to say the least. As far as roads being salted down I don't think so. I have noticed sometimes when I'm backing down my driveway my ABS will start to make the grinding sound and I can feel it in the brake pedal. don't know if this has anything to do with this or not but I use my parking brake. My back brakes are worn 90% and I need to get them replaced, figure that I'll have them take a look at it when I take it in then. I still can't get over the back brakes are worn down 90% in under 30,000 miles

1 - 20 of 24 Posts