Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2008 envoy 4wd 6 cylinder. Recently have experienced my abs kicking in at around 10 mph also traction slip come on at accelerating from a stop. Did a little research and cleaned the sensor and wire brushed under the sensor shims. It wasn’t too rusty, anyways the sensor broke when I was removing it. I replaced both wheel speed sensors in the front with ac Delco sensors. Now the truck accelerates fine, no traction light no hesitation but the abs still kicks and the brake pedal kicks back and sounds like it’s farting on my foot.. any suggestions on my issue would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

my guess is a fault in the wheel bearing on the drivers side it looks original. No play in either wheel, what do y’all think?

·
Administrator
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
534 Posts
Did you test the new sensors ?
The first post in this thread gives the values to look for :

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not checked the output voltage, I will do it ASAP hopefully this weekend thank you. If the new sensors are good what would be the next thing to check, could it also be the rear wheel speed sensor or would that cause other issues? Thanks again

·
Administrator
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
534 Posts
I suppose it's possible that the new sensor(s) is/are too far away from the tone wheel(s) , if you used the old shims , like an old sensor with rusted shims might be .

I had codes that included the rear wheel sensors , but , as soon as I rectified the front sensors , all codes disappeared .

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will take a look at it today and post back on what I find. Maybe I missed a little rust under the shims and will definitely check the sensors voltage. the pedal kick back did get less aggressive when I put the new sensors in. Is it weird to have no codes and this still happens? Sorry I don’t know much about the system.

·
Administrator
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
534 Posts
I will take a look at it today and post back on what I find. Maybe I missed a little rust under the shims and will definitely check the sensors voltage. the pedal kick back did get less aggressive when I put the new sensors in. Is it weird to have no codes and this still happens? Sorry I don’t know much about the system.
You can try the sensors without shims . Just be careful . Place the sensor in the hole . Hold it place by hand and gently turn the hub . If the sensor is too close , it will touch the tone ring . That's not good . Do NOT force the turn . If you feel any resistance , stop and try a clean shim . The sensor should be as close as possible to the tone ring without touching .

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I wasn’t able to test the mv cause I have a cheapo multimeter, but tested ohms they landed on about 1k. I figured the issue was on the left wheel since the steering wheel would jump to the right when the abs kicked on. Started there, took it all apart got some 80 grit sandpaper and went to town until it was as clean as could be sprayed some primer on it to prevent recurring rust, added a little grease, that side is done. Took a test drive still happening, did the passenger side with the same process and noticed the sensor was not close to the tone ring, couldn’t get it to touch. Removed shim on passenger side greased under the sensor a little put it all back together and it is good as new. Now that issue with my envoy is solved.

Still have to take care of the steering wheel position sensor for code C0455. I have been looking into that job, seems straight forward but am wondering if I have to reset the computer after replacement..?
Anyways thank you for all the help once again🍻

·
Registered
112 Posts
I get the fix traction control light once a month for the steering wheel. I flick the key off then back on and it goes away.

If the abs sensors aren't spaced properly you will have issues. Some have shims. You may have double shimmed or neglected to use a shim.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought the engine code c0455 would go away, I have unplugged battery many times trying to reset it but it’s almost time for inspection and I’m sick of messing with it. I’m going to change the sensor and hopefully be done with it.
I fixed the abs issue.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ah yes the dreaded inspection. My car would fail inspection for 20 different reasons. I couldn't imagine being compelled by the government to fix my car.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
237 Posts
I thought the engine code c0455 would go away, I have unplugged battery many times trying to reset it but it’s almost time for inspection and I’m sick of messing with it. I’m going to change the sensor and hopefully be done with it.
Clearing codes by disconnecting the battery went away with OBD-II.

You need a code-reader or scan tool to clear the code.

GM has a full procedure for each trouble code. Replacing the sensor won't fix anything if the problem is in the wire harness; or if the computer is faulty.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I know first hand that on this truck, the issue AND the code go away when you fix the problem. Speed sensor codes are confirmed on every start up and do not rely on past successful attempts. Some cars require 50+ successful cold starts before self deactivating the air bag light after a repair. This is not the case with wheel speed codes etc. They are turned off the instant a problem is no longer present.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
12 Posts
Hello, I have a 2008 envoy 4wd 6 cylinder. Recently have experienced my abs kicking in at around 10 mph also traction slip come on at accelerating from a stop. Did a little research and cleaned the sensor and wire brushed under the sensor shims. It wasn’t too rusty, anyways the sensor broke when I was removing it. I replaced both wheel speed sensors in the front with ac Delco sensors. Now the truck accelerates fine, no traction light no hesitation but the abs still kicks and the brake pedal kicks back and sounds like it’s farting on my foot.. any suggestions on my issue would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

my guess is a fault in the wheel bearing on the drivers side it looks original. No play in either wheel, what do y’all think?
My 2007 TB LT 120,000 miles has had a very intermittent problem for quite a few years. My local shop has no idea of what could cause it. When I am going downhill on a curve and need to apply the brakes, sometimes the brake pedal will quickly give and go down maybe an inch and breaking ability decreases significantly until I let up and n the petal. No indicator on the dash comes on either. It scares the crap out of me when it happens. Any have an idea of where to start?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
237 Posts
Connect a scan tool, look at wheel-speed-sensor data when you're going downhill on a curve and you can get the ABS to activate. If the sensor data isn't reading the same or close among the sensors, the ABS is going to activate. The issue will be whether the sensor data is correct, or if one or more sensors are providing FAULTY data--perhaps because a wire has worn-through the insulation, and going downhill and around a curve causes the wire to touch metal somewhere and ground-out. Another possibility is that the wheel hub is faulty, going downhill and around a curve puts enough stress on the wheel hub bearings that the tone ring gets misaligned with the sensor.

Since it's normal for the ABS to activate when the sensor data doesn't agree with one another, there's no light on the dash for most vehicles. I have a Monte Carlo that will light up a "Traction Limited" light any time the ABS activates, though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Call me silly here but I haven't seen anyone mention tire size. Tires can cause this issue at low speeds. Make sure all tires are the same size or very close. Not talking what's on the side wall. Measure around the tire tread. Circumference is a big factor in this. Had a explorer come into the shop with this same issue and they couldn't figure it out. I said measure the tires and they all was way off. Took wheels off another explorer put them on and boom no issue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts