Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ABS system kicks in around 10mph while slowing down to stop. It just started happening yesterday, I have already replaced both wheel bearing hubs so I don't know whats going on. If one of them has already gone bad or what. I am new to this site found some good information when I look for issues through ask.com it brought me here. Just looking for some feedback can I just unplug the connector and drive without it plugged in or not? If the ABS light is on it doesn't really bother me but I would rather ask first.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,298 Posts
First, double check *all* your connectors. Might be that one is loose. I had a
corroded one on my old S10 that started triggering the ABS because it was
interfering with the signal from the front wheel sensor to the module. It didn't
break the connection, so the system saw it as a speed mismatch. Disconnect
and reconnect them, make sure they're seated properly, and see how the system
behaves.

Could be a bad sensor.

On another S10 I had, a large chunk of ice kicked up in to the wheel well
and damaged the sensor wire. That just disabled the ABS because it got
no signal at all from that sensor.

Beyond that, unless you have a scan tool that can read the ABS codes, you'd
have to take it to a mechanic that can talk to the ABS module and see what's
causing the light to come on.

Good Luck!

Chris

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I did all of that. I also went to the car wash and sprayed out underneath really well. I've noticed that now when I slow down the speedometer is a little jumpy going to zero. So I am thinking one of them has gone bad again, well at least they are still under the 1 year warranty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same issue with my 02 Envoy. No light but low speed engagement. I'm going to try next weekend to pull the module and solder the troublesome connections. There's a few videos on YouTube that seemed to have the same connections re-soldered but their lights were on also on the dash. Can't hurt to try though and if not there's one at the junkyard I got my eye on. Don't feel like looking at ABS lights on the dash when I pull the fuse so I will try to solder first

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,270 Posts
This usually a sign of weak or bad front wheel speed sensors. Can also be caused by a build up of rust and corrosion under the mounting plate for the speed sensor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I changed the driver side bearing and was hoping it would of fixed it. I cleaned old hub under sensor before that but didn't do passenger side when i did the brakes. Not sure if there's rear sensors . Maybe try that first since junkyard is a muddy mess and don't wanna swim under truck.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
34 Posts
Go to a good garage and ask them to watch all speed sensors (with expensive scan tool)

You will see really quick what and where exactky is the problem.

Good luck

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
32 Posts
I’m having the same problem with my truck. Currently I just pulled the fuse but really hate looking at the ABS and Brake lights on the dash. I also checked the sensors with an electrical meter to see if I could figure out which one was bad. You first check for resistance with an ohm meter and if that’s good then switch it to check for A/C voltage and see if you get voltage when you spin the tire. My problem was that I was hoping not to get any voltage on one of the hubs but I actually got voltage on both hubs. One was double the other so I’m still not sure which is bad. It’s like is the glass half full or half empty? Is the bad hub double the good one or is the bad one half of the good one? I really don’t want to go pay a shop to just plug a meter in for 30 seconds but I think that’s the only solution for me.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
76 Posts
The ABS System is kicking in because of faulty suspension.

I was so used to driving with my ABS kicking in a low speed that I was used to it. But, my mechanic of the time found a bad passenger's side lower control arm and bad passenger's side ball joint within the control arm. With having those two replaced, the ABS kicking in at low speed was gone!

Go get your suspension inspected, as the suspension on these vehicle is notorious for failure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts