Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay here goes, I got my TB for free from family with 215k miles and a lot of issues. The first things I did were replace the:
-VVT Sensor
-Plugs
-Exhaust Manifold Gasket
-Crank/Cam Sensors
-Thermostat/Fan Clutch

It's been nothing but Corolla level reliable the last 12k miles, although now it's more than overdue for a complete suspension rebuild. The truck is damn near impossible to drive at speeds above 65. The front end wanders all over the road and you find yourself constantly correcting. Without realizing it someone said I looked like a drunk driver because I was trying so hard to keep it in the lanes. It also sounds like I'm shaking a bag of wrenches when I go over any type of bump and I can feel every last little dimple in the road while I'm driving it. I have a set of Firestone Firehawk GTs on it currently and they're wearing normally. The truck drives....straight until it hits any type of bump then it acts like it's in a groove. I don't know what's loose that's causing this so I decided to just go nuclear and replace everything. It came out to about $1000 in parts. Here's a list of what I'm replacing.

-Front Struts/Rear Shocks & Coilsprings
-Passenger Rear Axle Shaft w/hardware (C-Clip,Wheel Bearings,Seals) < This is bent as the wheel shakes pretty noticeably. The truck was hit right on that wheel at about 10mph
-Upper/Lower Control Arms < Took a look at the bushings, they have no bushings anymore really.
-Upper/Lower Ball Joints < I believe this is the culprit for the truck driving like ****.
-Inner/Outer Tie Rods < Never done this before, alignment shop is gonna loooove me.
-Front Wheel Bearings < While I'm in there
-Front/Rear Pads and Rotors < Whoo weeee these are warped
-Front/Rear Sway Bar Links < Bag of wrenches sound?
-Motor Mounts/Transmission Mount < The vibration is insane. The engine runs perfectly but I can sure feel it running and looking at the mounts they're done.

This is going to be the most work I've ever done to a vehicle but I am confident I can get it done in a weekend or two. I have a backup vehicle that I can drive so downtime isn't that much of a priority for me. My question is, is there a sequence I should follow while I replace all these items? I was going to start at the rear as I figured taking the pumpkin apart would be the most time consuming. Watching countless videos of people replacing the control arms makes it seem very easy but also a bit time consuming just not as bad as that axle shaft. While I'm in there I also will clean out the old oil from the diff (the fluid is over 7 years old and really really needs to be changed) and fill with Amsoil. I will also need to source a new wheel for the back passenger as I'm assuming it's just as bent as the axle shaft.

Thank you everyone! Hopefully when this is all done I'll have a truck that drives good as new, apart from the 1-2 slide bump of course haha!

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
329 Posts
Start with the front end, struts, lower control arms, stabalizer links, etc. Remember the lower control arm bushings are in a plate that bolts to the frame, you can replace the plate with the bushings or just replace the bushings themselves.
I've read that replacing the bushings is as diificult as replacing the plate. Don't forget that plate is the caster/camber adjustment and the bolts that hold it are torqued too 177 and 195 ft. lbs. I bought new bolts.
If the stabalizer links are original, they're a pain too.
While you have it apart, put a set of stabalizer link bushings in it too.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
198 Posts
Yes. Alignment is a must after major suspension work. Hope you have a good impact and air wrench. This is a lot to do manually. Upper arm bolts on the driver's side can be a mother. OEM links can sieze. Use a flame wrench or cutoff wheel. Be patient. Consider sway bar bushings while you're in this deep.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts